Join our zoo community

Animal Adventure Park What are your guys opinion about Animal Adventure Park?

Discussion in 'United States' started by Jena, 14 May 2018.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

So my aunt wants to take me to Animal Adventure Park in NY next month cause she really wants to see April the Giraffe. Even though personally it's a giraffe... we could gone to Bronx Zoo or any other zoos with giraffes to see giraffes.... all April is really famous for is her live stream birth video... but she really wants to go to Animal Adventure Park. I know I love zoos and love going to these type of places... but I am kind of feeling a bit mix feelings about Animal Adventure Park.
    For starters the exhibits don't seem to look as if they have enough grass, enrichment, water and shade or hiding places. And the enclosures seem basic kind of similar to that on a farm. I watched few videos and the exhibits all seem I don't know basic and not very natural to me and I been to a lot of zoos to know what type of exhibits seem bit more unqiue and natural. So I am not really sure how I feel about going there with my aunt, what do you guys think? Is it really what it's made out to be? What do you guys think about animal adventure park?

2. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

All good reasons not to go, or to go, check them over and then write a review on TripAdvisor or Yelp.

Keep in mind that animals don't really care about how "natural" their enclosures look as long as the basics you mention above are in place.

3. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

What is the problem you are having? That you feel the animals may not be well cared for or that you may find the place boring?

4. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've never been there so I can't really give much. My advice would be the same as @MRJ. Ask around to see other peoples opinions on the place. If you don't find any pictures or reviews that make this zoo stand out in a positive way to you, then don't go. But if there are posts that say that this is a good place, take them, you might find yourself enjoying it a lot more than you think.

5. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

that the animals may not be well taken care of... I never get bored around animals so I don't got to worry about that lmao but yeah I just feel the animals may not be taken care of as well as they should be getting. And the reviews for the place is mixed reviews so it's hard to tell. I normally don't have second thoughts about visiting zoos and I rather my aunt take me to the Bronx Zoo since the Bronx Zoo is a great zoo but she really wants to go to Animal Adventure Park because of April the Giraffe in which I would tag along with her cause she wants to go with me and I want to make my aunt happy even though I rather go to a zoo that is more recognized like the Bronx Zoo or even the Philidelphia Zoo. So I am going to go because I never been there and I kind of want to see the Giraffe too but for some reason I can't help think that the animals aren't being cared for properally... judging by the videos I have seen about this place. Not to mention there is like no Wikipedia on this place which is unsual normally I can find any zoo on Wikipedia. I can't find any history about the place either and I don't like that there isn't any grass in most of the exhibits for the hoofstock. It's just dirt and rocks... but I guess I'll see once I do end up going there in June.

6. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I can't help thinking that if you enjoy spending time with your aunt and you're not way too busy, why not go and enjoy a day out with her? If the zoo is sub-par you'll get to see for yourself and think about what makes a zoo sub-par. Maybe you'll discover that, while it isn't the kind of zoo you prefer, it is a decent zoo. Maybe you'll get your aunt to question the difference between good zoos and bad zoos.
    A day out with someone you like is never to be missed, IMO

7. BigNate

BigNate Well-Known Member 5+ year member

And maybe you can leave a review of it on here...

8. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

thanks for the advice. I do love enjoying time with my extended family. Probally wayyyy more then alot of people my age lmao. Plus she lives in Kansas and I live in NJ so I don't see her that often. So yeah I will go and see what it is like and yes that is true. Plus I like road trips (it's a 2 hour drive from where I live)

Zooplantman likes this.
  9. CuseZoofan

CuseZoofan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I honestly would suggest you travel a little further north and visit the Wild Animal Park of Chittenango NY. I am a season pass holder there and it is great. While it is smaller than most AZA Zoos and doesn't receive funding, they do a great job taking care of the animals and have very nice enclosures for them especially being smaller. You could also pair it with trip to the Rosamond Gifford Zoo in Syracuse which is very nice as well.

The Wild (as we call it) is also home to every species of Big cat, however the Jaguar is not view able yet because they are finishing his awesome new exhibit which will feature a tunnel above guests much like the Philadelphia Zoo. They also have two star Giraffes that you can actually feed and pet due to their elevated deck. Not to mention they have much more greenery and shade compared to the Adventure Park.

10. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I checked out the page and it does look better there is one tiny itty bitty problem though.....

it's a 4 hour drive from where I live where animal adventure park is 2 hours T-T. I highly doubt my aunt would be willing to travel 2 extra hours for a day trip to a zoo... Beside it can't be any giraffe she wants to see April in practicular lmao. But I shall check out some day.