Join our zoo community

What caused the decline of the Sulawesi babirusa being kept in European zoos ?

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 28 Nov 2020.

1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There was a time, around 2006, when several British collections held babirusa: I saw them at Chester, Edinburgh, Port Lympne and Twycross, and I know they were also held at Marwell and South Lakes. I don't know exactly why they dwindled away, but I don't recall seeing any piglets at that time (and I would have tried to get photos if I had seen any). The EAZA Best Practice Guidelines mentions the successful rearing of a piglet at South Lakes in 2003, but state that their sow killed all her subsequent piglets, until 2 new-borns were separated from her and hand-reared in 2007. Apparently Port Lympne had previously hand-reared 2 piglets too. It is worth noting that babirusa only produce 1 or 2 piglets in a litter, unlike other pigs, which may help to explain their decline.
    ZooTierListe
    is short of dates for most of these collections, but I think that few were left by 2010-11, when the boar 'Sausage' was transferred from South Lakes to Chester. He was renamed 'Sausu' and mated with Chester's sow 'Majene' and she reared two piglets. This seems to have broken the bottlenck in the population.
    Since then Chester have bred the species regularly. The zoo has imported unrelated stock from the USA and distributed young stock to several zoos in the UK and in Europe.

2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Thank you for your comment @gentle lemur !

That is really interesting, I never knew that the females would occasionally kill their litters in captive environments.

However, as it does regularly happen with a whole host of other species in zoos I suppose it doesn't really come as a suprise.

So it would appear that there was historically a general decline of the species in the 2000's until advancements in husbandry at Chester and the arrival of sausage (love the name! :D) really improved things.

Those are some really great shots by the way ! I find the babirusa to be really quite a charismatic species.

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think the killing of the litter by the sow is an indication of extreme stress (viz earlier remarks as to ecology and understanding of husbandry).

Situations like these also occur with carnivores where exhibits or indoor facilities and the general environment are inadequate.

4. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, I agree it does seem indicative of high stress levels.

I know about the phenomenon of female killing offspring in a lot of taxa and as you mention specifically with carnivores and to some extent with primates but I wasn't aware of it specifically in the case of babirusa.

From what I've heard regarding the SouthLakes of the 2000's this was a zoo which was notorious for some extremely bad husbandry of animals. Perhaps the babirusa were not being kept in adequate conditions during this period (were they in a mixed species enclosure ?).

Last edited: 1 Dec 2020
  5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

@Zorro So I found out about the last babirusa at Jersey from doing a bit of reading.

The last one was a boar who was captive bred animal (presumably born at Jersey) and had show signs of an orthopaedic problem with his legs and knees since the 1980's. He was given every kind of treatment, from injections of every kind of pain relieving veterinary medicine to homeopathy to laser therapy on his joints.

However, by 1997 he just wasn't getting any better and his quality of life was deteriorating so much that the zoo decided that it was best to put him to sleep, poor old porker.

This boar was mentioned as being an adult since the early 1980's so I'm guessing he must have been quite an old animal when he was finally put to sleep (maybe over 20 years old ?).

Presumably after he was gone the animal staff of Jersey just decided not to continue with the species.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2020
    Zorro likes this.
  6. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thats sad to hear mate. I would hope they can make a good come back in european collections, Thanks for the looking. I seem to recall that Taronga zoo wanted to obtain them and Philippine deer back in the 90s (I think) but with import laws the way they were/are I could not have ever seen this going to happen but it would be nice to have both!

7. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes, I think it was a sad end for that particular individual and I am guessing with that death and the general difficulties with the species in captivity back in the late 90's it was probably just decided not to continue with babirusa.

However, things are definitely looking up with breeding the species in captivity at the moment and it is possible that it will make a comeback and may even get to Taronga at some point.

Zorro likes this.
  8. Zorro

I agree with you with all but the latter, I really could never see them coming to our region but I would love to be wrong on that :D

9. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Its so strange though in someways because Sulawesi / Indonesia is so geographically close to Australia.

Zorro likes this.
  10. Zorro

It really does not matter how close it is. Australia has very strict bio-security laws.

11. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yep, to some extent I do understand it, but I wonder what it is about the babirusa particularly that prevents them being brought in by zoos, could it be fears of foot and mouth ?

12. Zorro

Its not just Babirusa its many species across the spectrum!

13. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Out of curiosity, which other ones have been banned ?

Zorro likes this.
  14. Zorro

Its a very long subject and I know they are some here on the forum much more versed on this matter than I so I am leaving the door open on this for those that may wish to explain this subject in detail! ;)

15. Onychorhynchus coronatus

You mean @MRJ ?

16. Zorro

I am not naming names, but some here would have a better understanding than I on this subject!

17. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Well would love them to discuss the issues with babirusa and other species as I really don't feel like I know enough about the bio-security laws of Australia.

18. Zorro

Its a Big subject and is being reviewed atm. I believe even elephants were banned up until new import laws were set in place, now six new imports in a short amount of time!

19. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I do understand it on some level though and it even makes sense from a conservation perspective I guess as it means zoos in Australia can focus on ex-situ with the amazing native fauna.

Zorro likes this.
  20. Zorro

Its also to protect the farming industry!