Join our zoo community

What Do You Do If Someone Cuts Line (POLL)

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Zoofan15, 16 Feb 2018.

?

You See Someone Cut The Line In Front Of You, What Do You Do?

Poll closed 16 Mar 2018.
  1. Nothing, it honestly doesn't bother me

9.5%
  2. Nothing, but fume silently

52.4%
  3. Scream like an enraged chimpanzee

4.8%
  4. Nothing, but complain loudly

14.3%
  5. Approach them person-person tactfully (i.e. giving them the benefit of the doubt)

9.5%
  6. Approach them person-person directly (i.e. telling them where to go)

4.8%
  7. Yell at them over the crowd to get out the line

9.5%
  8. Physically eject them from the line

9.5%
  9. Nark on them to anyone who has/should have the authority to deal with them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Recruit support from the crowd (physical support or backing vocals)

4.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

People cutting line is something we've all seen (or done) at some stage in our life. I'm interested to see how Zoochatters react...

You can vote on as many options as you like but be aware this poll is intended for fun and to be taken at face value.

There are no right or wrong answers and of course I'm aware your response will likely vary from situation to situation (i.e. a guy might happily shove another guy out the line but not a child, a police officer or someone carrying a lethal weapon etc.)

2. Zoofan15

Lots of people fuming silently thus far.

Interested to see if there's much variation from country to country. In England, waiting in line is generally a civilised affair with few people if any pushing in. In New Zealand, pushing in is extremely prevalent (especially at theme parks etc.) but other people are far more willing to challenge them or kick them out the line in my experience .

Would be interested to know if this is the same in the States or other countries.

3. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

I really don’t know! It would depend totally on what it was that I was queuing for and how the person pushed in, if that makes sense.

4. Zoofan15

That makes total sense. I selected a number of options above as I always run a quick assessment of the situation before reacting to it.

The first thing I ask myself is: "Is this going to negatively affect me?" i.e. by extending my wait time.

Then I assess my support vs. their support i.e. the ratio of my group to their group or the size i.e. who's ulitmately gonna win this fight lol.

Then I use this infromation to make a decision, having at least three of the above as back up options. I.e. I usually yell over the crowd at the person to do one, and that has always been effective, but if they refused, I'd probably stir up the crowd as my next option. The people who have thus far, fumed silently, will often be quick to support someone taking a more direct approach (and indeed choose a different option than if nobody else had reacted).

5. agnmeln

I totally relate to this! If it meant that I risked missing out on something, then I would cause hell. If it made absolutely no difference at all, I probably wouldn’t even notice. If it was an auld dear, I probably wouldn’t care. If it was a snot nosed brat, I would rage.

Zoofan15 likes this.
  6. Zoofan15

Haha agree x 10!

If it's a line for a limited high value resource (free ice cream) then I might just scream like an enraged chimpanzee at anyone who threatended to cost me my frozen dairy treat.

Haha I've seen many an elderly lady take on an entire group of teenagers and how quickly they do exactly what they're told.

You make a good point also about how it depends on HOW people push in. The most common tactic seems to be the recognise a friend (or aquaintance that is instantaneously upgraded to friend status), pass the time of day with them for five minutes and hope everyone behind is stupid enough to think you've been there all along.

7. agnmeln

A big one for me was when I was still involved in dancing and when I’d go to a competition where it was free seating during the daytime for the qualifiers for the professional competition and everybody would want a front row seat in the centre of the floor for the best view of the action. The Japanese attendees would practically camp outside overnight to be at the front of the queue and then the minute the doors were open they would sprint to a seat. I had too much pride to run (even though deep down I wanted to), and to be fair in six inch Louboutin heels I would probably have fallen and broken an ankle trying to - but if anybody had pushed in front of me then, there would have been absolute hell to pay! I had to be right where it was all happening. If I was waiting in line to enter a theatre or a cinema where everybody has an allocated seat and therefore the order of entry makes no difference at all, I really wouldn’t care. I have to be honest though, I have rarely experienced it - I find that generally people tend to stick to the rules, it’s like silent etiquette. I’ve even had times where people have offered to let me cut ahead of them for example if I’m at the supermarket and I have a lot less to check out than they do.

Last edited: 21 Feb 2018
  8. Zoofan15

That's an interesting point. In New Zealand, some cinemas allocate you a seat and some allow you to sit wherever you want. In the supermarket, people are sometimes forthcoming with letting you go in front (if you have less items) but times when I've taken the initiative to ask if I can cut ahead (because they have a trolley of stuff and I'm buying a couple of items), they've always said yes.

I'm thinking of making a poll on the tactics people use to push in (unless anyone else wants the honour?) but another one I've witnessed was a father attempting to join his two children in a line for a ride at a theme park. The daughter played along and begged him to join them as the father replied in a grand voice (loud enough for anyone within a 10 metre radius to hear) that it wouldn't be fair on the people who'd waited in line all this time. The daughter continued to beg him "Oh mercy me father, it simply won't be the same without you!" as he loudly refused once again, looking hopefully in the direction of our group, who were right behind them. Everyone stared/glared at them, giving a clear message: we're not falling for this (insert word we're not allowed to say on ZooChat). He gave up and walked off after five minutes of trying this.

9. agnmeln

I don’t actually mind that tactic too much. If it is people joining a friend then I can forgive it. Somebody just walking straight in front of me because they chose to be completely selfish is more annoying really.

10. Zoofan15

I personally can't stand people hinting (and refuse to bite) but if somebody asked me directly, I'd probably agree, on the condition we could go ahead of them,(i.e. we both benefit from it) lol.