Join our zoo community

Lakes Aquarium What do you think of Lakes Aquarium?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by AmbitiousFish, 8 Nov 2015.

1. AmbitiousFish

AmbitiousFish New Member

Hi All,

There doesn't seem to be much said about the Lakes Aquarium on here. Is that because people don't know about it or you just generally don't feel there is much to talk about?

I would love to hear your thoughts on the place. It is a nice little aquarium that has a bit more emphasis on native animals. It certainly has huge potential. What do you think?

2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

With one or two exceptions, aquariums don't generally create as much discussion as traditional mammaly-birdy places - probably largely because there are fewer publicised news stories, fewer 'named' animals whose stories can be followed, and fewer big changes (also, fewer fish nerds than mammal nerds! :D ).

Haven't been to Lakes for years but I rather liked it - the underwater tunnel with lake fish and diving ducks was a particular highlight.

3. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I like it and I try to visit every year.

One highlight for me is a tank containing Arctic Char. Also there were a lot of unusual fish species on my last visit in February this year.

It is well set out and the walkthrough tunnel houses several species of sturgeon and some large pike.

4. AmbitiousFish

AmbitiousFish New Member

The range of native species and the ducks definitely seem to get people's attention. Lakes got a mention in BBC Wildlife magazine's article on the UK's most exciting zoos and aquariums because of the diving ducks.