Join our zoo community

What Does Artificial Intelligence Think of Zoos?

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by birdsandbats, 14 Jan 2023.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Recently, OpenAI opened free to public access to GPT3, a chat-based AI that is able to generate human-sounding texts such as reviews, stories and articles. I was curious to see what it could write a zoo review similar to what we write here on ZooChat. I gave it the prompt "In the style of reviews found on zoochat.com, write a review of Milwaukee County Zoo". Here was the response I got:

"Milwaukee County Zoo is a great place to visit for animal lovers of all ages. The zoo has a wide variety of animals, including elephants, lions, giraffes, and monkeys. The exhibits are well-maintained and provide plenty of opportunities for visitors to get up close and personal with the animals. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable, and they are always happy to answer any questions you may have. The only downside is that the zoo can get crowded on weekends and holidays, so it's best to visit during the week if possible. Overall, I would highly recommend a visit to the Milwaukee County Zoo."

This review feels more like a generic internet review, however it did title the review "MCZ review and experience", which feels like it was "inspired" by this site given I suspect few places would ever shorten Milwaukee County Zoo to MCZ.

In an attempt to get closer to a ZooChat review, I asked "Could you go more in-depth into the exhibits and animal collection?". I got this response back:

"Certainly! Milwaukee County Zoo has a wide variety of exhibits and animal collections to explore. The zoo is home to over 3,000 animals representing over 300 different species.

One of the highlights of the zoo is the African animal exhibit, which includes elephants, lions, zebras, and giraffes. Visitors can watch the elephants take a bath or watch the lions lounging in the sun from the viewing platform. The African animal exhibit also offers a feeding experience where visitors can feed the giraffes by hand.

Another popular exhibit is the Primates of the World, where visitors can see monkeys and apes from around the world like the chimpanzees, orangutans, and gorillas in naturalistic habitats.

The zoo also has a wide variety of smaller animals such as the birds of prey and reptiles. The Aviary exhibit allows visitors to see a variety of birds, including eagles, hawks, and owls, while the Reptile and Amphibian exhibit features snakes, lizards, frogs and turtles.

In addition to the animal exhibits, the zoo also offers a variety of educational programs and special events throughout the year, such as zookeeper talks and animal encounters.

Overall, Milwaukee County Zoo offers a diverse and engaging collection of animals, which makes for a great day out for visitors of all ages.
    "

That's closer to a ZooChat review! Not entirely factual, but closer than I thought I could get. It's still pretty generic and doesn't tell us too much, but I'm impressed.

Next I tried the prompt "What makes Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo among the best in the world?"

"Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo is considered one of the best in the world due to a number of factors, including its wide variety of animal exhibits and species, its commitment to conservation and research, and its state-of-the-art facilities. The zoo is home to over 17,000 animals representing 962 species, making it one of the largest collections in the world. Some of its notable exhibits include the Lied Jungle, the world's largest indoor rainforest; the Scott Aquarium, which houses one of the largest shark collections in the world; and the Kingdom of the Night, which is the largest nocturnal exhibit in the world. The zoo is also known for its active participation in conservation and research efforts, and for its focus on providing visitors with a high-quality, educational experience."

Me: "What's the best exhibit at the zoo, and what makes it so great? What species does it have?"

"The Lied Jungle is considered one of the best exhibits at the Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo. It is the world's largest indoor rainforest, spanning over 17 acres, it simulates the conditions of the Amazon rainforest and Southeast Asian rainforest. It features many species of animals, plants and insects from around the world.

The exhibit has a wide variety of species, including monkeys, parrots, toucans, jaguars, crocodiles, piranhas, electric eels, and many others. The Lied Jungle is notable for its immersive and interactive design, which allows visitors to feel as if they are walking through a real rainforest. The exhibit has a number of different levels, including a canopy level, a ground level, and a river level, each of which provides a unique perspective on the rainforest and the animals that live there. Additionally, the Lied Jungle has several interactive exhibits that allow visitors to learn more about the rainforest and the animals that live there.
    "

I wonder if it can form opinions?

Me: "What are your thoughts on the Scutes Family Gallery at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo?"

"As a language model, I do not have personal experiences or thoughts. However, I do have information on the Scutes Family Gallery at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. The Scutes Family Gallery is an exhibit at the zoo that features tortoises and turtles. The exhibit includes several species of tortoises and turtles, including the African spurred tortoise, the red-foot tortoise, and the sulcata tortoise. It also includes interactive displays and educational information about the species in the exhibit. The exhibit is designed to raise awareness about the conservation of these animals, which are often endangered in the wild. Overall, it sounds like a great way to learn about and appreciate these fascinating creatures."

I guess I walked right into that one.

2. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Interesting idea. I decided to see what the AI thinks about the status of the AZA polar bear population.

Me: Is the population of polar bears in AZA zoos sustainable?

AI: No, the population of polar bears in AZA zoos is not sustainable. Polar bears are listed as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act, and there are only a few thousand polar bears left in the wild. AZA zoos have been working to manage the population of polar bears in captivity, but the number of polar bears in AZA zoos is still not large enough to be considered sustainable.

Okay, I can accept that as an answer.

Me: How many polar bears are there in AZA zoos?

AI: There are currently no polar bears living in AZA (Association of Zoos and Aquariums) accredited zoos. Polar bears are classified as a threatened species and AZA regulations prohibit the collection or display of threatened or endangered species.

Welp, that's not the answer I was expecting, and certainly not a factual answer either.

Me: If I want to see polar bears, what US Zoo do you recommend I visit?

AI: The best US zoo to see polar bears is the Bronx Zoo in New York City. The zoo is home to four polar bears and offers up-close encounters with them in the Himalayan Highlands exhibit.

So apparently the AI thinks the Bronx Zoo has polar bears (which it does not), but also thinks that there aren't any in the AZA (which there are). However, Bronx Zoo does have an exhibit called Himalayan Highlands, so at least they got that part correct. @birdsandbats may disagree with the AI on the next one:

Me: Is the Detroit Zoo's Arctic Ring of Life a good polar bear exhibit?

AI: Yes, the Detroit Zoo's Arctic Ring of Life has been praised for its spacious design, naturalistic habitat, and enrichment opportunities for the polar bear residents. The exhibit allows visitors to view polar bears from underwater and overhead, as well as providing them with plenty of naturalistic features.

So it looks like the AI likes the Detroit Zoo. Not as much as it likes the Bronx Zoo apparently, but Arctic Ring of Life gets the AI's stamp of approval.

Me: Which zoo has a better polar bear exhibit: Detroit or Columbus?

AI: It is difficult to definitively determine which zoo has the better polar bear exhibit, as opinions on the matter may vary from person to person. However, both the Detroit Zoo and the Columbus Zoo have excellent polar bear exhibits and are both highly rated.

So it looks like the AI isn't going to settle this debate anytime soon, @birdsandbats.

Now let's talk about other animals as well, and overall AZA policies.

Me: Have AZA zoos become increasingly homogenized? Is this a good or bad thing?

AI: The answer to this question is not a simple yes or no. While it is true that AZA zoos have become more homogenized in recent years, this is not necessarily a bad thing. The homogenization of AZA zoos has allowed them to provide more consistent care and welfare standards across the board, while also providing visitors with a more unified and enjoyable experience. This can be beneficial for visitors, animals, and the environment. On the other hand, some critics argue that this homogenization has led to a decrease in the diversity of animals and habitats that can be seen in AZA zoos, and that this can have a negative impact on conservation efforts. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide if the homogenization of AZA zoos is a good or bad thing

That's a much more nuanced and interesting answer that I expected. It appears as though the AI doesn't like to give many opinions, but that's a respectable answer.

Me: I'm looking to acquire a pet humpback whale. Where can I get one?

AI: Unfortunately, it is very difficult to acquire a pet humpback whale as they are a protected species and are not available for sale. It is also illegal to capture or hold a whale in captivity for any reason.

Not 100% accurate, but I can get behind that answer. Luckily I'm not in the market for a pet whale anytime soon. But a tiger on the other hand...

Me: I'm looking to acquire a pet bengal tiger. Where can I get one?

AI: No reputable pet store, breeder, or animal sanctuary would ever sell a wild animal like a bengal tiger. It is illegal to own a bengal tiger as a pet in many countries, and in the United States, it is illegal to own one without a permit.

That's a solid answer to that question. Now let's go "fantasy zoo mode" with this AI.

Me: I am giving you $30,000,000 to open up the zoo of your dreams. Please describe to me the overall theme and layout of your zoo, along with what animals you will display and what their exhibits will look like.

AI: My zoo will feature a unique and vibrant theme – Fauna Fantasia! The zoo will be a magical wonderland of animals, plants, and trees. It will be split into several areas, each unique in its own way.
    The first area will feature African animals such as lions, zebras, elephants, giraffes, hippos, and rhinos. The animal enclosures will be spacious, allowing the animals plenty of room to roam and explore. The enclosures will also feature natural features to replicate their natural habitat, such as trees, rocks, and ponds.
    The second area will be dedicated to the amazing creatures of the sea. Here, visitors will be able to observe sea turtles, dolphins, sharks, and other aquatic life. The enclosures will be designed to mimic the natural ocean environment, and visitors will be able to watch the animals as they swim and play.
    The third area will be a tropical rainforest, where visitors can observe exotic birds, reptiles, and amphibians. The enclosures will feature lush vegetation, waterfalls, and streams to create a lush and vibrant environment.
    The final area will showcase some of the world's most fascinating creatures – the primates.

I'm not going to lie- I'd visit an AI designed zoo!

Me: I am the owner of a zoo looking to open a new exhibit. I have $15,000,000 available, and would like you to propose an idea for an exhibit, including a list of species included and a description of the exhibit's design.

AI: My proposed exhibit is a "Rainforest Adventure" exhibit. The exhibit will include a large area of tropical rainforest, where guests can explore the flora and fauna of the rainforest, as well as learn about the importance of rainforests and their conservation. The exhibit will include a variety of native and exotic species, such as toucans, macaws, sloths, monkeys, jaguars, snakes, frogs, and other animals that are typically found in a rainforest environment. The design of the exhibit will include a large area of tropical rainforest with dense vegetation, a winding path for guests to explore, and plenty of viewing areas to observe the animals. There will also be several interactive educational areas, such as a learning center, where guests can learn more about the animals and the environment, as well as a conservation area, where guests can learn how to help conserve the rainforest. The exhibit will also include a few water features and a cafe, where guests can relax and enjoy refreshments while observing the animals. The estimated cost of the exhibit is $15,000,000, and this includes the cost of purchasing and housing the animals, as well as the design and construction of the exhibit itself.

Seems a little generic and I'm skeptical it could be built for $15,000,000, but it's possible that this AI may have a future career in zoo exhibit design! Certainly a commendable exhibit that waws designed. And just to mess with it:

Me: Design a zoo exhibit. Include a species list and description of the exhibit. Base your exhibit off of Scutes Family Gallery, Elephant Odyssey, and the International Orangutan Center.
    AI: Species List:
    • Asian Elephants
    • Indian Rhinoceros
    • Sumatran Orangutans
    • Western Lowland Gorillas
    • Malayan Tapirs

Exhibit Description: The Jungle Journey Exhibit is a multi-species exhibit designed to offer guests a unique and educational experience. The exhibit consists of three different habitats, each containing a different species. The first habitat is home to the Asian elephants. Guests can observe the elephants as they interact with each other and explore their habitat. This habitat includes a large area of grassland, several mud pits, and a large pool for the elephants to enjoy. The second habitat is home to the Indian rhinoceros. This habitat is designed to give the rhinos plenty of space to roam and explore. Guests can watch as the rhinos forage for food and interact with their environment. The third habitat is home to the Sumatran orangutans, Western lowland gorillas, and Malayan tapirs. This habitat is designed to create a variety of environments that will give the animals plenty of stimulation. Guests can observe the animals as they play and explore their environment. The Jungle Journey Exhibit is designed to give guests an up-close and personal experience with these amazing animals. Guests will be able to learn about the animals' behavior, their habitats, and how their species are threatened in the wild.

I'm skeptical of how well the tapir/orangutan/gorilla mix will go, but other than that, a better exhibit than I was expecting to see.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2023
  3. Sheather

Sheather Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've used the Inferkit AI to write prompts about zoos, it does not seem to have a very competent view on zoos.
    [​IMG]

Birdsage, iluvwhales and CMP like this.
  4. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Me: If you were to build a zoo, but every exhibit had to be an exact replica of an exhibit at an existing US Zoo, what exhibits would you include?

AI: 1. Polar Bear Shores at the San Diego Zoo
    2. Sea Otter Habitat at the Monterey Bay Aquarium
    3. Great Apes of Harambee at the Lincoln Park Zoo
    4. Penguin Exhibit at the Shedd Aquarium
    5. African Savanna at the Bronx Zoo
    6. Reptile House at the National Zoo
    7. Elephant Odyssey at the San Diego Zoo
    8. Shark Lagoon at the Aquarium of the Pacific
    9. Lorikeet Forest at the Woodland Park Zoo
    10. Sea Lion & Otter Pavilion at the Oregon Zoo

I'm pretty certain the AI has associated some exhibits with the wrong zoos, and um, I don't know what #7 is doing there...

birdsandbats likes this.
  5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Inferkit doesn't have a good idea of anything.

6. Sheather

Sure, but it's funny.

upload_2023-2-9_16-12-59.png
    upload_2023-2-9_16-13-8.png

7. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I've been toying with using it to make a fantasy zoo game on Zoochat - typing in something like:

'Generate a species list for a small zoo in Central Europe with 15 species of exotic mammal, 20 species of exotic bird, 15 species of reptile or amphibian and 15 species of fish'

And then designing a zoo around what it churns out.

8. OstrichMania

OstrichMania Well-Known Member 5+ year member

For some extra context (I haven't checked if this already applies to some comments here, but if not this could be used as a pre-warning), ChatGPT has a knowledge cut-off from 2021, so any events past this aren't known to the UK. This is why it can't comment on things like the war in Ukraine since that only started in 2022. I assume this would also apply to zoo inventory changes that happened after 2021.

9. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Sheather likes this.
  10. Sheather

Here's another set I made today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. JT

JT Well-Known Member

Not sure if this counts, but I’ve been using AI to give me ideas and suggestions for projects on planet zoo.