Join our zoo community

What does everyone collect Zoo related ?

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by garyjp, 20 Feb 2018.

1. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

There is an absolutely amazing and huge hippo plush that I noticed on sale at many of the zoos I visited in Czech Republic. If there had been sufficient space in my case, this would definitely have been coming home with me!

Velký plyšový hroch 80cm - Atestované hračky

Last edited: 2 May 2018
    savetherhino likes this.
  2. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I tend to buy canvas bags with logos on them. I didn't see one at Cologne (I was tired, and my boyfriend had already got me a fluffy anteater, so didn't look round the shop much), but I did get one at Duisburg; it came in handy to carry the fluffy Tasmanian Devil and Wombat. I try not to buy fluffy animals now, but a special trip like this was an exception! Distinct lack of guidebooks though, which was disappointing. I got a booklet about the Dolphinarium at Duisburg which was better than nothing (just need to improve my German now to read it).

3. wally war eagle

wally war eagle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I collect magnets and attach to refrigerator.

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I'm not surprised you collect magnets if you are capable of being attached to a refrigerator :p

5. Welsh Zootographer

Welsh Zootographer Well-Known Member

:eek:

6. Zoological Point

Zoological Point Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I collect maps for my wall, tickets of my bulletin board and magnets for my fridge. It's not for me but I try to buy a plastic animal figurine for my cousin based on the animals we see (for example when we saw kudu at Fort Worth, I bought him a kudu figurine).

7. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Gerald Durrell first editions.They are usually quite inexpensive when I can find them. At zoos I've bought the occasional t-shirt or mug, but it is hard to find t-shirts my size and mugs tend to break. Plus I buy lots of books, but more for reference rather than collecting.

Last edited: 15 May 2018
    Buldeo likes this.
  8. Ortolan bunting

Ortolan bunting Well-Known Member

i have semi-resently started to collect zoo maps currently i have Havets hus aquarium,Nordens ark, Parken zoo, skansen zoo i also used to have Copenhagen Zoos map but i have unfortunately lost it.

9. Canihelpyou?

Canihelpyou? Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I Always bring the zoo maps. Dont know why, but ive Always done it, even when i was a kid.

10. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I collect pin badges from collections and charities that are attached and are sold within collections so if any of you have any spare please get in touch with me and I'll take them of your hands

11. Daphne

Daphne Well-Known Member

Not just at zoos but I collect shot glasses .

12. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I used to collect shot glasses as well, (Queue lots of regular posters not being surprised! ;) ) but alas my collection has disappeared over the years! :(

13. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I suppose if the glasses are shot too often, they fall apart.

Brum likes this.
  14. Daphne

Daphne Well-Known Member

I have so many I would be upset if that happened. I have at least one from every zoo I visited except Detroit zoo . The time I visited I couldn’t find any. It’s been several years though . I might go back just to get that

15. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not as good as your Devil Wombat post, you've got to work hard to beat that! :D

I only had one zoo shot glass, Paignton(?), but I had several sets including Simpsons, South Park, London Attractions, lots of individual ones from places like Blackpool etc... But now I'm down to The Simpsons set. I even had two different chess sets consisting of shot glasses, that's a game that gets more difficult the better you do! :p

Daphne likes this.
  16. Snowleopardqueen

Snowleopardqueen Well-Known Member

Anything snow leopard. Lol. Zoo cups, bags, postcards. This is my favorite cup ♡ 15539792445621694301806.jpg

Hipporex and TinoPup like this.
  17. SivatheriumGuy

SivatheriumGuy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have a folder full of maps and flyers from different zoos. I have like three Cabarceno maps, 4-5 Santillana flyers and maps, map and flyers from Beauval, Barcelona zoo map, London zoo's map, flyers from Marwell and may other zoos I've visited.

18. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Postcards, guidebooks and annual reports. I also take like one or two maps from everywhere I visit but I don't count that as collecting

19. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Pin badges, zoo maps, guidebooks and leaflets (if guidebooks or maps aren't available).

20. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

I missed this apparently!

Yes, they definitely are out there! I actually picked up a couple of really cool wooden magnets from Singapore Zoo recently.

Have you been successful? I haven't looked for Gerald's first editions, but I've picked up several of Lawrence's first editions. Fun fact: I never pegged that they were brothers until The Durrells in Corfu came out!