Join our zoo community

What European Zoo's Names Would Be ''Brands'' or Most Widely Known Throgouht the World?

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 22 Mar 2017.

?

What European Zoo Names you think are '' World Brands'' like the example with San Diego Zoo?

Poll closed 22 Mar 2018.
  1. Antwerpen Zoo

20.0%
  2. Basel Zoo

10.0%
  3. London Zoo

80.0%
  4. Tierpark Berlin

10.0%
  5. Tiergarten Schönbrunn

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Weltvogelpark Walsrode

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Chester Zoo

20.0%
  8. Copenhagen Zoo

10.0%
  9. Loro Park Zoo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Howletts & Port Lympne Zoo

10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

After what I have read, that, for example, most famous zoo in the U.S. is the San Diego zoo, or famous zoo for Australians is Singapore zoo, I was wondering what European zoos would have the names that are ''brands'' itself and that are most widely known throughout the world.
    I think that for Australia, the most famous zoo is the Australia zoo after the Crocodile hunter series?

You can add other suggestions via posts.
    :)

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

out of that list, London Zoo. That's it. Maybe Berlin Zoo at a stretch but I'd wager that if you asked a non-European "common person" (i.e. not a zoo nut) to name a zoo in Europe then London Zoo would be the one most would be able to name. You certainly wouldn't get someone saying Howletts or Walsrode.

3. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In my opinion, it's zoos that are associated with popular cities that are the most widely known such as London Zoo, Paris Zoo, Edinburgh Zoo, Rome Zoo, or Copenhagen Zoo.

SealPup likes this.
  4. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I tried to think of what zoos might be considered 'brands' outside their home countries or immediately adjacent ones. This is the list I came up with:
    San Diego Zoo
    London Zoo
    Singapore Zoo
    Disney's Animal Kingdom
    Sea World (obviously much tarnished these days)

You could potentially make a case for Taronga Zoo, though I'm unconvinced it's a 'brand' as such, rather than simply the major zoo in the Australian city most international tourists visit.

SealPup and Nikola Chavkosk like this.
  5. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Disneyland, or Disneyworld, is obviously a HUGE brand, but I'd never heard of DAK until I joined ZooChat.

It's not quite a brand, but I think a lot more people have heard of Copenhagen Zoo these days...

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  6. drill

drill Well-Known Member

I think Prague zoo should be on there and the jardin des plantes also more people know of the Berlin zoo and Zurich zoo than Tierpark Berlin and Basel zoo

7. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

In terms of cultural fame just London and the Aspinall collections (in GB/UK). London Zoo does not deliver on expectations, but it has intense significance to the capital, and to historians of zoo and scientific history. Like other symbols of London it also represents England, GB, and the UK. It's historical value is comparable to the Jardin des Plantes and it's symbolic value is akin to Big Ben. At least to the British. Only Edinburgh, the Aspinall collections and Jersey come close.

EDIT: What about Hagenbeck in Hamburg?

Last edited: 23 Mar 2017
  8. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The World Famous San Diego Zoo, as they rightly refer to themselves, really is the only one that is world famous. No other zoo would fit your description of "known throughout the world." This is assuming you refer to the general public and not to zoo fans. And since San Diego is not located in Europe, the answer to your question is none.

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  9. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

Another one outside Europe that folks could argue has reached world famous status would be the Australia Zoo. Sure it is not as popular on this site but I think that a lot of everyday folks recognize the Irwin family and in doing so, also know about the Australia Zoo.

10. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think the problem with London Zoo is that it is a 'brand' built purely on history. Today as a collection, I suspect it wouldn't make the top 30 in Europe

SealPup likes this.
  11. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

Yes most definitely.

Needs to be reevaluated so as to live up to its heritage: which famous London animals the public want to see, was it historically famous for. Then design modern enclosures for them.

It would help housing large animals were the grounds to be expanded.

12. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I agree 100% with what @Arizona Docent said. I can't think of any other zoo in the world that has marketed itself as widely and successfully as San Diego has. Of the ones on the list, I would agree with the consensus here that London would come the closest because of its history and past prominence.