Join our zoo community

What if Busch Gardens Houston never closed down?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Elephants and Alligators, 19 May 2018.

1. Elephants and Alligators

Elephants and Alligators Member

from 1971 to 1973, Busch Gardens had a zoo and aviary based location in Houston, Texas. This park was Asian themed, save for a domed, polar area with Polar Bears, Penguins, and Sea Lions. The park also had a boat ride, train ride, treehouse, and petting zoo. Due to a lack of sufficient funds and expensive upkeep, the place couldn't stay open and closed down.

But what if that never happened? What if the park survived and kept on growing until this day?

I am going to create a possible route the park could have taken and how it could look today. But I'd also like to ask you guys on where you think the park could have gone. Would it have more rides? Fewer Rides? Maybe some themed areas based on different parts of Asia?

And let's not forget about the most important part, the animals? what animals would be exhibited? What would their enclosures be like?

I'd like to hear what you guys think. So feel free to leave suggestions!

2. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

They'd probably go with adding orangutans or even pandas if they could. They'd also probably add roller coasters.

3. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member

They had orangutans - that's how Busch Gardens Tampa ended up with asian animals in its collection.

4. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member

Is there a list somewhere about the animals this park had before closing?

5. Elephants and Alligators

I wish there was. But unfortunately, I have been unable to locate any lists (as of yet)

6. Elephants and Alligators

\\
    Scratch that, I think I found something

Busch Gardens (1971-1973)

7. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member

I didn't even know there used to be a Busch Gardens in Houston, that's interesting.

I imagine that if it stuck around, it would have put more focus on shows and rides. When it comes to animals, it would be hard to compete with the Houston Zoo, which is not only a big and wonderful zoo, it's more affordable than a theme park.