Join our zoo community

What If There Were a Dating Website for Zoo Lovers

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by wensleydale, 15 Dec 2016.

1. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

If there were a dating website for Zoo Lovers such as ourselves what would it be like? We've talked about this before and I was told to start a thread, well I have finally decided to follow that advice. At the bare minimum tell me what it might be called.

BenFoxster likes this.
  2. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

"What do you mean you prefer immersion style exhibits over collection based collections?! I don't think we'll ever work out."

3. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I would call it "Animal Attractions". Your profile pic would be of your favorite animal instead of you. The cliched question, "Do you like long walks on the beach" will be modified into "Do you like long walks past ungulate paddocks?" Preferences for eating in or eating out will turn into preferences for bringing food to the zoo or buying it there (I'm a bring-it-in guy myself; zoo food is expensive). You can test your compatibility with a questionnaire that is mostly to determine if you're an exhibit functionalist or aestheticist. And, of course, you know where every first date happens :cool:;)

4. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A potential problem is that meetings for zoo enthusiasts include many men and few women. The numbers of men and women were far more balanced when I did my zoology degree.

6. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

I have difficulties expressing my feelings. :) Heh, that's one feature of ENTJ type (regardless if you consider MBTI-rating too subjective).

7. wensleydale

Its funny because when I took animal behavior (well, actually more like comparative psychology) it was nearly all females.

8. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Funny you would say that, possibly this is more of a problem with Zoochat or internet based groups than in the real world. While the numbers of males and females visiting Moonlit Sanctuary appear evenly matched (most people visit as couples or family groups), from what I can see females are far more interested in us on average than males:
    * 80% of our Facebook fans are female
    * 63% of visitors to our website are female
    * Overwhelmingly people interested in volunteering, work experience or employment are female
    * 92% of our keepers are female. Here are a representative sample:
    [​IMG]

BenFoxster and Nikola Chavkosk like this.
  9. wensleydale

I was thinking it could be called ZooDate. Lame, I know, and clearly ripping off ZooChat. One of the questions could be how often you like to visit the Zoo and which one you like to visit most often (I'll admit I spend a lot of time looking for species in the wild, finding fish is much easier now that I've gotten back into paddling.)

And we should definitely make sure applicant know what a Mountain Chicken is, getting that one wrong should mean automatic rejection.

10. azcheetah2

azcheetah2 Well-Known Member

A nice concept, but I'd still have to deal with creepy guys saying they'd chase someone down for me that ran off with my camera bag and then when I tell him I'd have to chase HIM down, he says he wouldn't run, forcing me to pretend to be with my female friend I was there with because he kept following us. Hahahaha

11. wensleydale

Out of curiosity does the percentage of females interested/involved vary depending on the type of animal park in question? For example, are females more likely to gravitate towards fuzzy and/or social animals like mammals and/birds while males are more likely to work with less fuzzy/social animals such as reptiles?

12. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It would be called ZooDate. Maybe this could be a winning idea...

wensleydale likes this.
  13. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

Try listing chat up lines instead. Lots of anacondas and elephant trunks. ;)

14. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I guess you beat me to that name and I didn't see it. In that case I second the name ZooDate.

wensleydale likes this.
  15. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

16. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yes, internet fora like this are overwhelmingly male dominated across the web, with the exception of sub-cultures that are stereotypically gendered as 'feminine'.