Join our zoo community

What if you had your own zoo, aquarium, or safari park? Post it down below.

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Davdhole, 13 Jun 2018.

1. Davdhole

Davdhole Member

Post all the sections and animals you would have. Here is mine.

Wild Kingdom Safari Park
    This is a drive-through safari park where guests can rent a vehicle or use their own. There are four sections that guests drive through. After that, there is a walking section as well. It would be located in Cincinnati, Ohio
    In the entrance of the park, there will be multiple bird houses setup with items(such as oranges) to specifically attract Baltimore orioles
    Drive-through
    First section: American Grasslands
    White-tailed deer
    Black-tailed deer
    Plains bison
    Roosevelt elk

There will be a large lake off to the side that belongs to a bull and cow moose.
    The last part of this section will be a large enclosure on the side with a barrier in the middle. One side of the enclosure will have 2 American black bears. The other side will have a grizzly bear.
    Second section: African Plains
    This section will feel like an actual African safari. Guests will be greeted by some flamingo pools on each side off the road with
    greater flamingo. The other animals include...
    Greater kudu
    Sable antelope
    Waterbuck
    Ostrich
    Springbok
    Blesbok
    Black wildebeest
    Masai giraffe
    Grant's zebra
    Black-crowned crane
    Southern white rhinoceros
    Addax
    Common warthog
    Watusi cattle
    African black duck

The first fenced off section will be a huge 2 acre exhibit for about 5 Nile hippopotamus
    An area off to the side separated by a moat will house a pair of cheetahs.
    The other predators will include..
    Striped hyena
    Caracal
    African lion
    Side-striped jackal

Third Section: Into Asia
    Babirusa
    Eld's deer
    Blackbuck
    Gaur
    Sarus crane
    Bar-headed goose
    Bornean pygmy elephant
    Indian rhinoceros
    Malayan tapir
    Indian peafowl

Off to the side, there will be a island with large wooden structures and ropes up high. This island will belong to a pair of siamangs. Another island on the other side of the road will have a few hoolock gibbons.
    Guests will then drive into a large tunnel with two large enclosures on each side of the tunnel. the enclosures will keep the animals in with thick glass. On the left side, there will be a Komodo dragon. On the right side, there will be a reticulated python.
    Out of the tunnel, there will be only large, fenced-in enclosures. The first one will have a red panda. The next enclosure will have a pair of Malayan sun bears. After the bears, there will be a pack of dholes. The final enclosure will have a brother and sister pair of Sumatran tigers.
    Fourth and last section: Down Under: Journey in Australia
    Red kangaroo
    Tammar wallaby
    Emu

The first enclosure will have a double-wattled cassowary.
    Here are what the other animals in large, fenced-in enclosures will be..
    New Guinea singing dog
    Saltwater crocodile
    Wedge-tailed eagle
    Laughing kookaburra

Guests are now done driving. They can park and begin their walking journey into Adventure Down the Trail. I will just list the animals instead of specific sections and animals so this won't be too long. Here are the animals guests will encounter on foot...
    Gray wolf Green anaconda
    Eurasian lynx African bullfrog
    Sun conure Donkey
    White pelican Nubian goat
    Martial eagle Gulf coast native sheep

Harris's hawk Kunekune pig
    Ocelot Marbled salamander
    Red river hog Gray langur
    Sumatran orangutan Asian forest scorpion
    Emerald tree boa Frog-legged beetle
    Green tree monitor
    Eastern diamondback rattlesnake
    White-throated monitor
    American alligator
    Bat-eared fox
    Indian flying fox
    Snowy egret
    Black-tailed prairie dog
    Red-eared slider
    River cooter
    Redtail catfish
    Bluegill
    Southern copperhead
    Red-spitting cobra
    Western green mamba
    Jackson's chameleon
    Binturong
    Muskrat

Canihelpyou? likes this.
  2. Canihelpyou?

Canihelpyou? Well-Known Member

i have a question about "Into asia". Will the baribusa be in a enclosure with the cars or with some sort of barrier? Its a unique animal for this for sure.

3. Davdhole

Davdhole Member

The babirusa would be out where the cars are, but the area with the babirusa would be very lush on the sides, so as guests are slowly driving through, they must keep a sharp eye for this unique animal.

4. Canihelpyou?

Im not 100% done yet. Heres the first attraction i planned tho. Its located in the Netherlands.

Its a nocturnal house. You might say thats unoriginal, but they are getting more rare in europe. It resembles a cave from the inside (the outside is a "normal" house design) with salagmite on the ceiling. Tubes will run above the heads of visitors for naked mole rats (Heterocephalus glaber). There will be plenty of information about why some animals are nocturnal. I feel like thats quite important for it.

The first exhibit is a enclosure for egyptian fruit bats (Rousettus aegyptiacus) with lots of live plants and small trees. The enclosure next to that one will showcase sengenal bushbabys (Galago senegalensis). It futures live plants and lots of climbing and hiding possibilities. Again, next to this one another vertical enclosure for feathertail gliders (Galago senegalensis). Next to that one will future on the bigger enclosures, for kinkajous (potos flavus). After this exhibit visitors will make a turn.

On the opposite side of the previous said enclosures will be for some other animals. Some smaller horizontal enclosures for Long eared hedgehogs (hemiechinus auritus), four toed hedgehogs (hemiechinus auritus), lesser hedgehog tenrecs (echinops telfairi) and round eared elephant shrews (echinops telfairi). Next to the previous mentioned will be a aquarium for blind cave fish (astyanax mexicanus). The next enclosures will be put next to the aquarium, pretty much a terrarium wall. Enclosures for lined geckos (gekko vittatus), crocodile skinks (tribolonotus gracilis), water pythons (tribolonotus gracilis), madagascar ground boa (Acrantophis madagascariensis). Also two small enclosures for hottentotta hottentotta and Damon diadema.

Once the visitor made the turn, there will be 2 big enclosures to the left. To the right will be benches and the mentioned signs. The first feautures the bengal slow loris (nycticebus bengalensis). And the last will future the star of the building: A breeding pair of aardvarks (orycteropus afer). After this the exit for this house will show the way back to the rest of the zoo.

I hope explained what i have in mind well. More attractions will come.

5. Davdhole

Davdhole Member

I love it! You have great choices, especially with the lorises. Don't really hear about those too often. I can't wait to see the rest!

Canihelpyou? likes this.
  6. Canihelpyou?

Another attraction is called the jungle hall (it sounds better in dutch). Its a big greenhouse which has a tropical theme. With - like many - greenhouses there will be lots of free ranging species. Mostly birds, but also lizards, bats and frogs. There will be a large river going through the entire place (i currently dont have a map made for it, its on its way) with also lots of species.

When you go through the doors the visitors will see lots of exotic plants, trees and bushes. With 26 C all year around its always a nice tempature. Humidity is also nice and high, because the whole space is misted a couple times a day. The visitors will have to make a choice to either go left or right, and for this time we will go right.

When you go right, after a couple meters of walking, you will walk over a bridge. Under the bridge lies the river i was talking about. When you look down, you can see a large log put horizontal over the river. Here you may spot yellow headed sidenecks (podocnemis unifilis) basking. Or ringed teals (callonetta leucophrys) in the water or on the shore. Animals in the water that can be though to find are fly river turtles (Carettochelys insculpta), pacus (Colossoma macropomum) and plecos (Hypostomus plecostomus).

Walking further into the greenhouse you can find an closed exhibit. It even has a roof, and when you look into this enclosure, you can find a pair of Southern three banded armadillos (Tolypeutes matacus). In the small trees in the enclosure you can find two toed sloths (Choloepus didactylus). After this you are reunited with the path that went left.

If you would go left from the beginning, you can find the enclosure for a giant anteater (Myrmecophaga tridactyla), the biggest animal in the house. It shares its enclosure with tamanduas (Tamandua tetradactyla). You can also find a large rock made for basking. A big change you will find some reptiles here basking. A bench is nearby.

Once the paths meet, there are 3 paths going different directions. These are made so you can find some free ranging species. These all meet again with the last exhibit: A large waterfall. This is where the large river begins. Its home to scarlet ibis (Eudocimus ruber), african spoonbills (Platalea alba), a pair of javan pond herons (Ardeola speciosa) and a pair of little pied cormonants (Microcarbo melanoleucos). After this you will exit back into the zoo.

There are, like mentioned, there are allot of free ranging species. Here they are:
    Birds
    beautiful fruit dove (Ptilinopus pulchellus)
    Blue naped mousebirds (urocolius macrourus)
    White rumped schama (Copsychus malabaricus)
    Bali myna (leucopsar rothschildi)
    Common myna (Acridotheres tristis)
    Emerald starling (Lamprotornis iris)
    Bohemian waxwing (Bombycilla garrulus)
    Asian fairy bluebird (Irena puella)
    common hill myna (Gracula religiosa)
    Capuchinbird (Perissocephalus tricolor)
    Black bul bul (Hypsipetes leucocephalus)
    Nicobar pigeon (Caloenas nicobarica)
    Pheasant pigeon (Otidiphaps nobilis)
    Crownded pigeon (Goura victoria)
    Great blue turaco (Corythaeola cristata)
    White crested touraco (Tauraco leucolophus)
    Roul roul (Rollulus rouloul)
    Reptiles
    Green iguana (iguana iguana)
    Tokay (gekko gecko)
    Anolis roquet summus
    Green anole (Anolis carolinensis)
    Amphibians
    Red eyed tree frog (Agalychnis callidryas)
    Mammals
    Large flying fox (Pteropus vampyrus)

Im not finished with the list. It lacks mammals and amphibians, also invertibrates are not mentioned. These would be a clean up crew (millipedes, sow bugs, worms etc.). But i hope i explained it well.

7. Davdhole

Davdhole Member

This is great as well! I love that guests get to experience how these exotic, tropical animals' habitats are. Getting to see a variety of birds and reptiles living together is amazing, and I love the choices of mammals, especially the flying fox, which would probably have to be my favorite mammal in this exhibit!

Canihelpyou? likes this.
  8. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member

IDK, maybe an aardvark conservation center?

9. Canihelpyou?

your name suits well with that idea.

10. Canihelpyou?

Another attraction will be focusing on the different animals of Asia. Its called "Asia trails" (im still working on the name). There will be statues and other asian decorations. Also bamboo will be around allot, to make it feel like the visitor is in a real asian forest.

The visiors enter with a big arch to greet them. The first enclosure (to the left) is a big meadow like exhibit. They might also find blue peacocks (Pavo cristatus), these guys walk free in the Asia part. Ofcourse, keeping them safe from the carnivores. The enclosure has the real star of the place: The indian greater rhino (Rhinoceros unicornis). These guys are companied with muntjacs (Muntiacus reevesi) and white naped cranes (Grus vipio). This enclosure has trees and a big pond for the animals to enjoy. Across this enclosure is a big asia building, which ill tell whats in there later. There is a enclosure next to the rhino paddock for the rare bantengs (Bos javanicus javanicus), Anoas (Bubalus depressicornis) and Axis deer (Axis axis).

Across that enclosure is a smaller enclosure with a waterfall for the simple small clawed otters (Aonyx cinereus). The visitors then take a big turn, with to the left a big beautiful, well planted exhibit for the one and only Sumatran orang utan (Pongo abelii). With a pond to keep them away, you can find koi carps and mandarin ducks (Aix galericulata) swimming around. However, the orang utans share their exhibit with Lars (hylobates lar). Across them is a voilere like cage, with a obeservation hut next to it. When a visitor enters, they find Siamangs (Symphalangus syndactylus) in the cage. Again, well planted and full of enrichment.

Once the visitor made the turn, they are met with a large enclosure for siberian tigers (Panthera tigris altaica). These large cats have a big "river" to enjoy. Next to them is another large enclosure for the rare Asian black bears (Ursus thibetanus). The visitors get to choose to either leave the Asia part or go into the Asia house. So lets talk about the big house.

This house has an inside look to the orang utan enclosure, together with a inside look to the Rhinos. The other animals do not have a inside look to their inside enclosure. But you can also find a enclosure for a water monitor (varanus salvator). Also a voilere for the rare scheepmakers crowned pigeon (goura sclateri) and Cabots tragopan (tragopan caboti). Another enclosure houses chinese alligators (Alligator sinensis). The only zoo in the Netherlands to keep these animals.

And thats the asia part. There will also be an education point with volunteers to teach people about the declining forests in Asia, and all about Asian animals.

Davdhole likes this.
  11. Canihelpyou?

A attraction close to the Asia part will be: The mangrove. This indoor hall is similiar to the tropical hall, as its humid and warm, 24/7. Instead of showcasing the tropical rainforest, this one is all about the fragile and rare mangrove forests from southeast asia. With free ranging species, there are also plenty of animals that can Always be found in their own enclosure.

First the visitors enter in a cave like small hall. With on the left, a aquarium with real live plants, in and out the water. In this brakish water you can find archerfish (Toxotes chatareus). Every day you can see these guys be fed. Next to that a nice terrarium for mangrove snakes (boiga dendrophila melanota). On the opposite side of thes 2 is a larger enclosure for a mangrove monitor (Varanus indicus).

Once the visitors leave this cave, they are met with a beautiful mangrove forests. Lots of trees and vegetation, with mud and small pools under the weird trees. The people will walk over a small bridge through this forest. You can easily spot some of the free ranging species, but ill have list of those all the way down. When halfway on the bridge, you are greeted with a roundabout. In this roundabout you find a enclosure with a big mangrove tree through the middle (and a net on top to keep birds from coming in). In this enclosure is a small group of mudskippers (Periophthalmus barbarus). These weird fish are in my opinion a must in any mangrove enclosure.

If you look to the left of the roundabout, you find a small beach for atlantic horseshoe crabs (Limulus polyphemus). You can find them on the beach, or in the small brakish pond next to it. Once you walk some further down the bridge you are met with a big enclosure, with te biggest non fish animal of this hall, the dusky leaf monkey (Trachypithecus obscurus). They are kept away by a big freshwater "river" with: Pangasianodon hypophthalmus and malaysian giant turtles (Orlitia borneensis).

Then the path ends with the exit, with a last look in the brakish pond with a big glass viewing. The species in here are: 2 species of argus fish, silver moonys, empire gudeon, Indian glass fish and the huge permits.

Free ranging species:
    Birds:
    Green backed heron (Butorides striata)
    Imperial pigeon (Ducula bicolor)
    White rumped schama (Copsychus malabaricus)
    Green broadbill (Calyptomena viridis)
    Blue winged pitta (Pitta moluccensis)
    Reptiles:
    Sail finned lizard (Hydrosaurus amboinensis)
    Mammals:
    Indian flying fox (Pteropus giganteus)
    Invertrabets:
    Hermit crabs

All in all, a hall with allot of rare species. Might add some reptiles or amphibians later on. But i hope i explained everyting well.

12. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

I’d convince the Ethiopian government to start captive breeding programs st my facility and house as many endemic species as possible along with a handful of ABC species from Africa (For the guests). I’d also try to start breeding programs for many of the African species that currently at high risk (Hirola, silky sifaka, eastern lowland gorilla). Essentially become a better version of what bioparc Valencia is. I’ll make the sections and species lists tomorrow.

Davdhole and BigNate like this.
  13. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member

I’m confused as to how your post has anything to do with Bioparc Valencia. Can you please explain?

14. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

Oh it’s because I want to have an all African species zoo and I believe at this point of time bioparc Valencia has only African species.

15. Timmiegun

Timmiegun Well-Known Member

Similar to Burgers Mangrove I see but the thing here is the crabs are not safe from the birds you let roam free. Herons would activly be hunting for them I would assume.

16. Canihelpyou?

I did not think of that. Ill have to figure that one out.

17. Timmiegun

Once a crabpopulation is stable it wouldnt matter that a crab per day gets eaten but you dont want birds around that clear out colonies. This is why in Burgers' Zoo they are very likely to wait with adding species that eat fish/crab. They first want to maintain a stable colony. In the waters of the manatee tank they recently added pikes to clear out the overflow on cichlids but that's possible as the fish are kinda getting out of hand there :p

18. Canihelpyou?

Didnt burgers zoo used to house hermit crabs in the old mangrove?

19. Timmiegun

nope! Atleast not from what I remember in the old mangrove.

Canihelpyou? likes this.
  20. Canihelpyou?

A small attraction closer to the entrance is the carnivore house. This house houses, like the name suggests, carnivores. Its mainly small carnivores, as big carnivores can be found in other places in the zoo.

When you enter, you can find on the left a big window with a outside enclosure on the other side. Fully planted, this enclosure houses ocelots (Leopardus pardalis). With next to the ocelots another nice planted enclosure with the rare fishing cat (Prionailurus viverrinus). With next to the fishing cats, a enclosure with a large open area in the middle, and in this enclosure live the golden jackhal (Canis aureus moreoticus).

If we go to back to the entrance, you can find on the left a big indoor enclosure for the giant otters (Pteronura brasiliensis). These big guys are the stars of this house. Eventaully the visitors will face a turnn going left. In this turn, there is a enclosure to the right with crab eating raccoons (Procyon cancrivorus). Again, nice planted and with a small pond in it.

Once you made the turn, you are met with small enclosures for common cusimanse (Crossarchus obscurus), yellow mongoose (Cynictis penicillata) and narrow striped mongoose (Mungotictis decemlineata). These small ones are all indoors. The last enclosure is a big one for binturongs (Arctictis binturong). There is another viewing in the main zoo for this enclosure.

Davdhole likes this.