Join our zoo community

What is the worst zoo you have been to?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Ninja Penguin, 13 Apr 2013.

Tags:
  1. Blackduiker

Blackduiker Well-Known Member

Las Vegas...by a long shot! Mercifully now closed.

2. Slothie

Slothie Member

At first I was like :eek:
    Then I was like oooooh :p

3. Slothie

Slothie Member

Anyway, proper reply:
    I have only really visited a few zoos in my whole life time, and they were all atleast moderate. But the worst out of the ok ones would be Blackbrook, it's still a lovely place in its own way and the birds get a lot of space, it was just pretty empty and run down. I felt sorry for them. I don't think I've been to a zoo yet that's at cruelty levels, though some aquariums bother me. Especially those with cylindrical tanks.

4. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think you mean 501;)

~Thylo:cool:

5. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Dubai Zoo.

6. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Without a doubt, Taif zoo in Taif, Saudi Arabia (near Jeddah) the animals were kept in terrible conditions. Visitors giving them sweets. Signs wrongly labeled (turtles in a muddy pond labeled as 'amphibian'. A west highland terrier in a little dusty steel barred cage labeled as 'dog American', cats kept in a similar condition. Brown Bears on a concrete floor with steel bars and nothing more. Asian elephant in a concrete pit, emaciated lions covered in flies along with scimitar horned oryx, servals, spotted hyenas and more housed in metal and concrete boxes. As well as, perhaps most disturbingly a large shed like building full of dead, stuffed animals which a keeper very proudly informed me 'all this animal die at the zoo'. I was told there was another equally bad zoo in the nearby city of Jeddah but I never visited it.

7. Merintia

Merintia Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Probably Guadalajara zoo in Spain. I visited it about 12 years ago. Animals kept in small and dirty cages, many of them obviously sick, with rotten food or just no food at all on the feeders and dirty water. The zoo was remodeled few years ago so I hope now will look totally different.

8. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This zoo isn't TERRIBLE per say, but I just left with a sad kind of feeling in my chest. The Timbavati Wildlife Park in Wisconsin. First of all, WAY over priced, second of all, it's sort of split into two zoos (There is a really, really deep canyon about half way through the zoo with a bridge going from one side to another) The side with the entrance and the good enclosures is the only part I enjoyed. You can get carrots to feed the animals, like giraffes, and camels, capybaras, several hoof stock species. Once you cross the canyon bridge, it turns into a small enclosures, jam packed, over populated place. Too many animals in the exhibits, exhibits WAY to small, and they took babies away from their parents right away... made me sad. They had a full grown aardvark in an exhibit the size of a twin size bed.