Join our zoo community

What is Your Favorite Kind of Chocolate?

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by wensleydale, 3 Oct 2016.

1. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

One thread leads to another, and now that "Popular Junk Foods You Happen to Hate" seems to have run its course I find I'm still very curious about the dietary preferences of my fellow ZooChatters. There were some complaints about Hershey's Chocolate (though I love the Symphony Bars) and I was wondering, what does good chocolate taste like, in your opinion? That is to say, what chocolate is your favorite? Also, what is your least favorite? Unless you hate chocolate, in which case I don't know what to say to you.

I'll go first, though I usually prefer milk chocolate my favorite is the Tazo Mexican chocolate disks. Preferably one of the hot pepper flavored ones.

Though I said I liked Hershey's I despise their dark chocolate, which is odd because I like European Dark Chocolate (like Callebaut) very much.

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Finally someone starts a proper thread!

But you're not going to get a lot of inter-continental agreements I suspect - maybe some, but not a lot - because chocolate is manufactured differently in, say, the USA to Australia, to cater to the different taste-buds. So American chocolate, for example, is largely horrible while New Zealand chocolate is the best in the world. Swiss chocolate of course just coasts along on its reputation, not taking sides.

Also different countries tend to mix things differently - the USA seems to like to put peanut butter in chocolate things (?what's that about?) while NZ tends to put marshmallow in chocolate things.

Anyway, best chocolate variety is Jaffa Chocolate. Barely anyone here will know what I'm talking about because it's only in NZ, and even zooboy28 probably has missed out because he's in Australia making do with Australian chocolate.

4. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If you’re expecting intercontinental disagreement, wait until the first Belgians, Germans or Swiss voice their opinions. After all, they are from ze land(s) of chocolate:
    https://youtu.be/ZOziWm_MJ9k
    Several years ago, Lindt produced white banana curry chocolate. A match made in heaven. Unfortunately, I might have been the only one who thought so, as Lindt quickly discontinued its production. Oh well, we’ll always have Paris-and the great chocolatier at the Rue Mouffetard...^^

5. Chlidonias

I hope you don't mean the chocolate was white? White chocolate is not real chocolate.

6. Batto

Dear Sir, I refuse to tolerate your display of chocolate racism, bigotry and apartheid. White Chocolate matters!

7. Chlidonias

bah, I knew it was all going to come down to the colour. I am interested in what's inside - that's what matters, not the colour. It just happens to be that what is inside proves that you can judge chocolate by its colour...

8. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

No - it's manna from heaven. Reserved for those with a sophisticated palate. Not those from the other side of the ditch.

Lindt balls are beautiful, especially at room temperature.

20 years ago Cadbury in Tasmania made something called Cadbury Gold, which was better than Lindt, and would virtually melt in your mouth. Was a damn site more expensive than other chocolate and so disappeared after six months, which was a shame.

I'm stuck in a rather isolated spot with very limited options for chocolate, but luckily I can still get my hands on a Cadbury family block of Black Forest - and once opened it's normally all gone in 20-30 minutes.

Incidentally, David Attenborough recently said he was very fond of chocolate, and has some every day.

:p

Hix

9. Chlidonias

I don't like white chocolate. It's too sweet and artificial-tasting. It's like dark chocolate is keeping it real man, and white chocolate is Paris Hilton pretending to be keeping it real. Oh, wait - white chocolate is Iggy Azalea! Burn!

In NZ we have Cadbury Old Gold which is made from 70% cocoa and is so good. I'm not sure if that's a similar thing to your Tasmanian Cadbury Gold though.

10. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Well, there's no accounting for taste, is there?

Nothing like it. Cadbury Gold was a milk chocolate that had a low melting point and would probably melt on your tongue if you could leave it there for a minute or so. I tried, but only lasted about 10 seconds.

:p

Hix

11. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Once upon a time I worked in the research department of a company which produced vegetable oils and fats and I have eaten a small piece of pure cocoa butter - which is white and more intensely chocolate flavoured than I had imagined possible, but not sweet in any way. The taste lingers in the mouth for ages.

Alan

12. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Okay guys, is this really a question??? I mean: Can there be any other answer then: The best (= the one and only) chocolate comes from SWITZERLAND!?

Our brown/milk chocolate is smooth (in contrary to most chocolate from other nations - even Belgium), has a natural instead of an artificial taste (like Anglo-American products) and has a perfect balanced sweetness. Beside maybe the aromatic black chocolate from Belgium (and only this kind!), no other country can mess with Switzerland regarding chocolate. It is like the beer from the bavarians or the spaghettis from Italy.

13. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

White chocolate = American cheese. Both are byproducts of the manufacturing process.

14. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't if other countries has them, but Galaxy just melts in my mouth!

15. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever had just a roasted cocoa bean? Just a bean that's been roasted and had nothing else done to it? They are actually very good just like that.

16. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I love chocolate, the higher the Coco content the better. What amazes me is that people who know I like chocolate think I'll appreciate mint flavoured chocolate or orange flavoured chocolate or chocolate with bits of other stuff in it. I don't get their logic, if I like chocolate anything else will just detracts from the pleasure of chocolate.

17. Chlidonias

that's not a very neutral statement... :p

18. Batto

I've tried to warn you; never mess with the Swiss when it comes to chocolate. Never.

This belies your previous statement
    I disagree. Maybe Iggy Azalea is "keeping it real" on the inside. How to judge without taking a closer look, may it be Iggy or white chocolate? Maybe some of zooman's Swiss chocolate will help you find back to the right path of chocolate salvation. On the way there, this might come in handy:
    https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/4d...c1ade_1.45ccbd268a50f2e00db8312c87b740bd.jpeg

Thanks @Hix for the moral support, for I have a dream. I have a dream that one day, the sons of dark/milk and the sons of white chocolate fanciers will be able to sit down together at the table of chocolate aficionados.

I have a dream that my little children will one day live in a world where they will not be judged by the color of their favourite chocolate, but by its contents.

I have a dream today!

:D

19. Chlidonias

no it doesn't :confused:

It corroborates it.

20. Chlidonias

Wikipedia says "Galaxy is sold in the United Kingdom, Ireland, the Middle East, Morocco, India, Pakistan and Egypt" which is a rather unexpected swipe across the map.