Join our zoo community

What is Your Favorite Kind of Chocolate?

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by wensleydale, 3 Oct 2016.

1. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

:eek:
    I had to Google that to see if it was a true thing. I don't actually like Snickers bars at all, but a white Snickers sounds pretty bizarre. Does it taste good? White chocolate like/dislike aside, I think it would taste weird!

3. Batto

It's very...filling. :D

4. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

I adore white chocolate, though I actually like it its pure form, rather than wrapped around "summer coating." The good stuff has a subtle taste, with a good mouth feel.

Am I the only one who is struck by the irony of the fact that all of the chocolate made in Switzerland has to be imported from elsewhere, unless there is a large swath of tropical Switzerland that I don't know about?

5. Chlidonias

now I'm imagining that in the, um, Baltic Sea area the tv adverts for Snickers don't say "Snickers satisfies", they say "Snickers is filling!"

6. Chlidonias

but cocoa beans pretty much have to be imported to almost everywhere that chocolate is made. They don't import chocolate to Switzerland to be sold as Swiss chocolate, they import the ingredients and make the chocolate. So I don't get the irony?

7. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Beside Chlidonias forgoing answer there is indeed a source of cocoa in Switzerland: The Masoala hall at Zoo Zurich. Together with a chocolate factory they have produced in the past (and probably will again in future) a pure Swiss chocolate. All ingredients (sugar, vanilla, cocoa etc.) came from Switzerland. Those special edition has had the shape of a cocoa bean (if I remember correctly) and was sold once a year for a high price while the profit was spent for a conservation project at Madagascar.

8. Batto

Freely adopted from Paracelsus: The dose makes the (postprandial) fullness. ^^

9. Chlidonias

that's cool. Was the vanilla from the zoo as well, or from somewhere else?

10. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Chlidonias: I was talking with the two leading man in this project but can't remember if they said it was from the hall or from somewhere else in Switzerland, but at least it was vanilla from our country.

11. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Anything that doesn't melt in the mouth can't be chocolate. The chemical feature that makes cocoa butter virtually unique among animal and vegetable fats and oils is that it is mainly composed of a single triglyceride, which has the old-fashioned name of palmito-, oleo-, stearin (it does have a modern systematic name, but it's so long that you might fall asleep before you finished reading it or I might fall asleep before I finished typing it).
    This means that cocoa butter has a relatively sharp melting point, unlike all the other fats and oils which are mixtures of many triglyceride molecules, so they slowly get softer if the temperature rises, like butter, or throw down solids if the temperature drops, like olive oil. Moreover, cocoa butter melts a little below 37°C (blood temperature): so it melts in your mouth, but not on your skin, which is rather cooler.
    Confectioners aim to mix cocoa butter with cheaper fats to reduce the cost of a chocolate bar, without adding so much that the chocolate softens at too low a temperature. The taste of the chocolate comes from traces of other chemicals in the cocoa butter. The added fats are virtually tasteless, so the flavour is boosted by adding cocoa powder, which is basically the residue of the cocoa beans after the cocoa butter is extracted. I think that white chocolate stays white and has a milder flavour because no cocoa powder is added to it. Sugar is also usually added, along with other flavourings, milk powder etc. These components are melted together, mixed thoroughly and then cooled slowly ('tempered') to prevent them crystallising separately as the chocolate solidifies.
    Very simple science really ;)

Alan

Last edited: 5 Oct 2016
  12. Batto