Join our zoo community

What is your favorite otter exhibit?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Austin the Sengi, 18 Sep 2020.

1. Austin the Sengi

Austin the Sengi Well-Known Member

This is the thread that is my unofficial successor of my “What is your favorite species of otter” thread but this time it focuses on the otter enclosures provided by various international zoos and aquariums.Let me know on what is your favorite habitat.

savetherhino likes this.
  2. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

Singapore River Safari’s giant otter exhibit is pleasant. You can view them from many angles, including an underwater tunnel where they zip overhead.

3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I like the NEW Zoo's exhibit. It doesn't have underwater viewing but it does look naturalistic.

4. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Chester's Giant Otters exhibit is my favorite .

5. Austin the Sengi

And even though I haven’t been to Chester Zoo yet.I suppose that the giant otter habitat is just as wonderful as you describe it.

6. Noah Butas

Noah Butas Well-Known Member

Columbus Zoo's Asian Small-clawed Otter Exhibit is my favorite

7. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This is picture from last year:
    20191014_122142.jpg

Jambo, TinoPup, gulogulogulo and 3 others like this.
  8. Austin the Sengi

See I told you it looked beautiful (no sarcasm intended)

9. Alex Bensky

Alex Bensky Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Detroit's recently expanded river otter exhibit is nice enough; nothing special but it gets the job done.

LowlandGorilla4 likes this.
  10. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

Columbus zoos Asian small clawed otter exhibit as well. Nice space.

11. imaginarius

imaginarius Well-Known Member

The new St. Louis Aquarium is all kinds of... underwhelming. They marketed it as the next Georgia Aquarium, with massive tanks of whale sharks, manta rays, great hammerheads, beluga whales, penguins, deep-sea cephalopods, and more, and it has none of that. It’s really not worth the cost of admission, honestly, until it is significantly expanded. But it does have an excellent North American river otter exhibit, with plenty of underwater viewing. Definitely a step up from the St. Louis Zoo’s otter enclosure.

12. red river hog

red river hog Well-Known Member

The Maryland Zoo's otter exhibit is really nice.

13. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

Los Angles has an amazing multilevel giant otter exhibit with a slide that leads into a large pond. There is also an aquarium between the viewers and the otters with piranhas and tetras.

red river hog likes this.
  14. MurphyFox

MurphyFox Well-Known Member

The Maryland Zoo has my favorite for North American River Otters. The pond is very large and there is (closed for now) an underwater tunnel. It actually makes you feel like you are viewing them in the wild.

The National Zoo has a very good Asian Small-Clawed Otter exhibit, with ample room. However, it can get too cold in the winter for them because it is outdoors.

Philadelphia's Giant Otter exhibit is also very cool (with the seasonal slide), but is also all outdoors and can get cold in the winter (for a tropical species).

Atlantic Sea-Park (Alesund, Norway) has a very large and naturalistic exhibit for the Eurasian Otters (at least when I went in 2017).

red river hog likes this.
  15. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Eurasian otters in Bern must have one of the very top exhibits. This is a large natural pond/tribuary of the river Aare fenced off. The otters can catch wild fish, if they swim in. There are also signs asking anglers not to feed fish to the otters. Surprisingly, otters are visible, and I had once a great observation of one collecting grass to its den with underwater entrance. It is really no different from watching wild otters.

Of the artificial exhibits (not every zoo has a river) I think I enjoyed most Hamburg, because of interactions between small-clawed otters and orangutans.

nedpepper likes this.
  16. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I disagree with Maryland from a visitor's point of view, because they're horrible at cleaning the glass. The tunnel is always so dirty you can't see anything.

Virginia Living Museum has a nice NA exhibit. Virginia Zoo's small-clawed is very large, with plenty of room to run around and swim.

17. Jacob Will

Jacob Will New Member

Columbus zoos Asian small clawed otter exhibit Is my favorite Otter Exhibit.

LowlandGorilla4 and 9030 like this.
  18. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

I think the mixed-species exhibits with otters at the San Diego zoo are pretty sick, and especially like the land area opportunities.

19. 9030

9030 Active Member

Giant River Otter exhibit at the new Pantanal exhibit at the Houston Zoo. Opened recently on 10/10.

20. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

Photos? from the ones I have seen it looks nice but I need better photos to know

Also, I don't think there are any favorites for Southern Sea Otter exhibits as the best ones (Monterey, Pacific, SeaWorld) All have advantages and disadvantages and none truly stick out. If you know an amazing Southern or Northern Sea Otter exhibit let me know but of all the ones I have seen they are either good or below not outstanding

9030 likes this.