Join our zoo community

What is your favorite Zoo exhibit for Jaguars?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Austin the Sengi, 9 Nov 2021.

1. Austin the Sengi

Austin the Sengi Well-Known Member

After working a small, yet still good amount of progress when it came to my “Creating the Rembrandt Park Zoo (a fantasy project of mine)” thread. I simply thought, that it would be nice enough to create a brand new thread that mainly focuses on a certain topic once again, and to see on how this one will fare in the long run. But regardless of what I have said, this is the thread that is dedicated to the dozens of well-received jaguar enclosures that various institutions worldwide have specifically provided for these magnificent cats. Just like with the other four threads that I have previously created; All you have to do is to simply let me know on what is your favorite habitat for jaguars, (hence the exact purpose of this thread’s existence).

~ @Austin the Sengi

2. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd say most people would agree that Chester Zoo's jaguar exhibit is at least the best exhibit for jaguars in Europe, if not the entire world. I've heard WPZ's exhibit is good as well but I don't think it's on the same level tbh.

Antoine and pendraig_milnerae like this.
  3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I would go with the jaguar exhibit at Seattle's Woodland Park Zoo. Here are two photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Of the jaguar exhibits that I've seen, my favourite is the one in Jacksonville Zoo which I saw whilst on holiday in Florida in 2009.

This jaguar exhibit included a large pond, with underwater viewing, that provided spectacular views of the jaguars swimming.

I did feel extremely sorry for the pacu that were kept in the pool, though, as the jaguars never gave the fish a moment of peace.

Sarus Crane and Austin the Sengi like this.
  5. Austin the Sengi

Austin the Sengi Well-Known Member

I certainly do agree with you greatly @Tim May; for as long as I have been alive, I have always appreciated Jacksonville’s exhibit more so than any of the other exhibits listed here on the thread so far. Not because it is the best in the world, but simply because it will always have a devoted place in my heart as one of my favorite zoo exhibits in general.

Sarus Crane likes this.
  6. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yeah its my favorite and the closest one to me. ;) Range of the Jaguar is pretty spectacular, actually the best-themed South American complex in any zoo I've seen yet. You can get pretty close, just don't be an idiot like the guy from over this past summer where he got attacked because he went over the barrier and antagonized it! The Emerald Forest Aviary is superb as well and the birds are accustomed to being close to people, which result in some great photo opportunities and the Giant Otters are only a few steps away. :)

[​IMG]
    Photo by @geomorph

7. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

I always have trouble finding good photos of it but El Paso Zoos exhibit is great for its predator and prey set up and use of a desert exhibit instead of the typical forest exhibit.

8. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

One of favorite habitats for cats happens to be the Jaguar habitat at the Rainforest of the Americas at the Los Angeles Zoo. It’s a VAST improvement over the roundhouse Kaloa had for years before his new home. There’s deadwood for them to use as walkways and resting areas. A pool to take a dip that is fed by the stream of water coming from the top of the habitat. On a hillside with a downward slope that you can look up and see Kaloa or Johar roaring from the top of the hill. Also very lush and dense with vegetation to allow them to be reclusive or hide from the sun when needed.

Attached Files:

9. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member