Join our zoo community

What is your favourite New world primate species ?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 16 Sep 2020.

1. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Wow ! So my theory in the comment above was wildly off !

Thirty-two years and the longevity record too ! That is really quite impressive actually.

2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Indeed ! :D

3. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

Favorite new world primate species? I cant decide. I really like marmosets and tamarins in general, but I dont have a favorite. There is too many species.

4. dinosauria

dinosauria Well-Known Member

I really like the Golden Lion Tamarin. Sure, it's pretty popular but I feel it deserves that with its conservation efforts and striking orange color.

5. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Lion Tamarins in general are cool. I really like the golden rumped lion tamarin. Such colors!

6. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They're not present.

7. red river hog

red river hog Well-Known Member

I love Colombian Woolly Monkeys. They might even be one of my all-time favorite animals!

8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

These are my favourites too , without a doubt !

You mean the black lion tamarin (Leontopithecus chrysopygus), right ?

I love this beautiful species and have worked a bit with them / their conservation and know the main team of researchers involved with this species.

That said, I don't find them as colourful as the other three lion tamarin species which are much more striking in my opinion.

Yes, I totally agree a very striking looking species indeed. As you've said the conservation of the golden lion tamarin is quite a success story too (though even after many decades of efforts it is still early days).

Last edited: 16 Sep 2020
    red river hog likes this.
  9. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

My favorite (for now) is the White-faced saki, idk why really but I just love them.
    Maybe because of the 'sad' life the male at Artis had, now he has a new female and is much happier :D

10. Onychorhynchus coronatus

That is interesting, judging from some of the other comments on this thread it appears that the woolly monkeys are really popular primates with zoochatters which comes as a bit of suprise to me.

I thought that squirrel, capuchin and spider monkeys would be far more popular.

White faced sakis are great. I feel they are kind of underrated by zoo visitors too but I find them fascinating and whenever I see them in zoos I spend quite a while watching them and their antics.

What do you mean by a sad life ? was this male saki kept alone for an extended period of time?

Last edited: 16 Sep 2020
    red river hog and JurassicMax like this.
  11. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

They really are, especially the males are very interesting.
    The male in Artis used to live together with a female and they even had a young. However the female died (shortly, few months?) after that and the young eventually died too. After this the male was kept alone for quite a while and eventually he got a 'new' female that also died not long after. Then he was by himself in the monkey/forest house and now he got moved to the small mammal house together with a new female! Now he is much more active and 'happier'.

12. Onychorhynchus coronatus

That is really sad to hear. Most primates don't do well when they are on their own and this individual didn't have the best of luck so I'm glad he is now in a happier situation and with a new mate.

JurassicMax likes this.
  13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

As is the case with several who have already posted, I have a strong soft spot for douroucoulis :) although the Black Lion Tamarin is another contender methinks.

14. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Owl monkeys are incredible. It is good to hear that they have their fans as they are often not as well known as the other New World primates.

Black lion tamarin is also an awesome species I agree.

15. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

Zooparque Itatiba holds a male Noave's uakari, but it doesn't seem like there's a breeding plan for the species being established unfortunately.

That choice is also very difficult for me, given that I'm not even aware about most of the species (the same thing can be said about other "what is your favorite ___ species?" threads). At least between the ones that I've seen in person and excluding marmosets and tamarins, I suppose bald uakari or brown howlers are my favorite ones. I just hope that I grab the chance to see other wonderful species that I haven't yet, such as the golden capuchin and either of the muriquis.

16. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I really want to pay a visit to Itatiba to see this species as I haven't seen it yet.

You haven't seen the Southern muriqui yet ? o_O

Have you been to São Paulo zoo or Sorocaba zoo ?

If not then you should definitely pay a visit to one of these and particularly Sorocaba zoo as it is impossible to miss them there and they have a relatively large and lively troop of these monkeys.

When you say golden capuchin do you mean Sapajus flavius ?

São Paulo zoo has or did once have this species but they took these out of display for a while due to the danger posed by yellow fever infection.

17. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Neblina uakari (formerly included in the black-headed uakari)
    One of my favourite ever animal houses was the Saki and Uakari House at Cologne Zoo. It included various species and subspecies I have never seen since

18. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

Now that you mention it, I've visited the São Paulo Zoo years ago so I probably did see the blonde capuchin (yes, Sapajus flavius), but only in the sense of it potentially entering my peripheral vision, since don't remember it (I didn't even know the difference between a howler monkey and an orangutan at that time).
    No Sorocaba Zoo though.

19. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I think you should definitely pay a visit to Sorocaba zoo to see the Southern muriqui troop that they keep there.

There is a pair of male muriquis (or there was , it may just be a single individual now? ) at the São Paulo Zoo so the species can also be seen there.

However, Sorocaba is far better IMO because there you can see a mixed sex group , watch their interactions and so get a better idea of their behaviour and they also have several youngsters that were born at the zoo too.

There is a bench right in front of the enclosure so it is the perfect place to sit in the shade and watch these animals. It is a really interesting experience to observe these monkeys, never a dull moment in fact as they are a very social species and literally in constant motion.

Last edited: 17 Sep 2020
    FelipeDBKO likes this.
  20. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Interesting !

I haven't actually seen this species before at any zoo that I've visited.

Does the Cologne zoo still keep sakis and uakaris or have they been phased out ?