Join our zoo community

What is your favourite New world primate species ?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Onychorhynchus coronatus, 16 Sep 2020.

1. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing Neill!

Yes I think you are right that they are a very active and interesting species and for me personally what is interesting about them is that we actually know very little about their wild ecology.

I think they are a bit of an underrated callitrichid really and I wonder if it's because in terms of size and appearance they are not as small as the others and nor do they have physical characteristics that make then stand out to the average Joe.

For example they lack the "wacky hairstyle / moustache" of the cotton top or emperor or size of the pygmy marmoset or the auricular Tufts of the common marmoset or the striking colour of the golden lion tamarin.

Neil chace likes this.
  2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

As much as I love the Golden-lion tamarin, I’m gonna have to say Geoffroy’s spider monkey. Auckland Zoo has a colony descending from imports in the 1960’s, with an offshoot troop sent to Hamilton in the 1990’s and I’ve enjoyed watching this species at both zoos.

It’s been fascinating to read about their social structure of this relatively long lived species (Hamilton Zoo has a female aged 37) and how they have a fission-fussion society, similar to chimpanzee. A study in the wild discovered mothers often return to their natal troops with their infants for short periods for apparently no other reason than to show members of their kin their offspring. They also practice alloparenting.

3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thanks for the comment @Zoofan15 !

I can see why you find them fascinating as I also really find the spider monkeys interesting.

As with the Muriqui the spider monkeys are engaging to watch because of how active they are and as you mention the complexity of their social behaviour.

I've seen the Geoffroy's spider monkey quite often in the wild and they are very entertaining to watch.

Funny enough I've seen these mainly in forest around Mayan archeological sites which I've always found quite fitting as this was a species that was considered sacred to that civilization.

Zoofan15 likes this.
  4. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

I would have to say the mantled howler monkey. I have seen and heard them in the Costa Rican cloud forest and so they have always impressed me. Plus I like the mantled head that can be seen in them and mantled Guerezas and slightly in Debrazza Guenon. And it’s always enjoyable to watch them in their family units.

5. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

My favourite New World Primate is definitely the Red-Faced Spider Monkey.
    I've been lucky enough to see this specie not kept by many zoos at Mystic Monkeys and feathers Wildlife park. :D;)
    The Woolly Monkey is also pretty cool.

6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thanks for sharing @Westcoastperson !

Howlers are fascinating primates I agree.

In terms of watching them they can be very lethargic at times and have long periods of inactivity but when they are active you certainly know it (and hear it!).

Where in Costa Rica did you see them ?

7. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thank you for your comment @Nix !

I definitely understand why as I'm quite fond of this species and their peculiar look is really striking and perhaps the most unusual of the spiders.

The contrast of the vibrant red face and the piercing blue eyes is quite eerie looking IMO.

I've often wondered whether it was the reason that one indigenous tribe (can't remember the name but occur within Venezuela) had a strong taboo against hunting them and considered them as ancestral spirits.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2021
    Nix likes this.
  8. Westcoastperson

First I tried a cloud forest treetops tour which was a trail with a few large hanging bridges. I failed to see them (or much of anything at all) but I could definitely hear them. Strangely I saw them while walking from my hotel to the local convinced store for snacks. They have ropes swung across electrical polls so the monkeys don’t hurt themselves and sure enough there they were. It was a good sized family unit with some young ones all climbing on this rope to get across the street. Not exactly in their natural habitat but still very interesting.

9. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Lol that's great !

It's usually the way with howlers actually.

Prior to their populations being decimated by yellow fever it was common to see the brown howler this way too in urban parts of the city and state here.

Then they started dropping from trees and crawling across roads and having seizures and choking to death on their own blood and piles of them dead being found rotting in parks and forest.

Now they are locally extinct in many places...

Last edited: 11 Jul 2021
    Westcoastperson likes this.
  10. TheChukaulorian

TheChukaulorian Well-Known Member

I have a soft spot for red howlers and Golden lion tamarins, but I'd say my favorite from seeing it so many times it's the red-faced Spider monkey.

11. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thanks for sharing @TheChukaulorian !

There aren't any native primate species in Chile are there?

Why do you like the red faced spider monkeys?

12. Westcoastperson

I also saw Squirrel monkeys in the same city I saw the howlers. All three of the monkey species I saw were all in high person traffic areas. Especially the capuchins who stole alcohol someone snuck in, it tried some and then ripped it all open on top of him (he put it in a plastic bag).

13. Gil

Gil Well-Known Member

That's a good topic ! It's hard to choose because I don't think I have a top 1 species. But when I visit a zoo, I specially love to observe the different species of tamarin. Theses guys are really funny and are always active, so it's a pleasure to interact with them behind the glass !
    There's also an amazing species that I love but that is a bit less common in Europe : the woolly monkey (Lagothrix lagotricha). I am lucky that my home zoo (Basel Zoo) has a bachelor group of these beautiful animals !

14. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I find this a difficult topic to select just one species as I am a huge fan of titis, doucourouli and all callitrichids. However if I must select a few, they would be the black lion tamarin and the buffy-headed marmoset in joint first, with cottontop tamarin and the other three lion tamarin just behind them.

15. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Fascinating about the squirrel monkeys as the Central American species is really quite threatened.

I'm not surprised about the capuchins lol they are such intelligent primates and they quickly become habituated to people and food theft.

Westcoastperson likes this.
  16. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thanks for sharing @Gil !

That's great to hear that you are a fan of Callitrichids and enjoy seeing them at zoos.

Do you have a favourite tamarin species ?

The wooly monkey is another interesting and active species and I also enjoy watching these at zoos.

I'd like to see Woolies in the wild one day but so far haven't managed to get to the Amazon to do so yet.

17. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Thanks for sharing @Dylan !

That's great to hear about your interest in Callitrichids and I always find it encouraging when people express an interest in them.

I have to ask as I'm really curious where did you first find out about the Buffy headed marmoset and what do you find interesting or endearing about this species?

18. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'll admit callitrichids are my favourite single group of mammals and I'd love to see them in the wild. I found out about the buffy-headed marmoset through the mountain marmoset conservation programme on FB and follow their work. The buffy-headed specifically I find endearing because I think they are the closest animal we have to an animated teddy bear but also they face some interesting conservation challenges.

19. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Awesome ! They are certainly one of my favourites too.

That's great to hear that you've been following our work with these species !

Love your description of the Buffy headed marmoset :D would have to say that I think the Lac Alaotra gentle lemur would be a strong contender for that position.

Dylan likes this.
  20. Gil

Gil Well-Known Member

That's also a though question. But if I had to keep only one species I would go with the golden-headed lion tamarin (Leontopithecus chrysomelas). In my opinion they are the most beautiful species of tamarin with the golden-rumped lion tamarin (Leontopithecus chrysopygus) that I dream to see in a zoo that I also dream to visit, Jersey Zoo. These little guys have an incredible temper. They are always moving and playing, I never get bored watching them.

I hope for you that you will have the opportunity to see the woolly monkey in the wild, it must be incredible !!