Join our zoo community

What is your ranking of the MCU movies? (from least favorite to most favorite)

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Hipporex, 26 Jan 2019.

1. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

First of all, wow, 400 that is a rather impressive number. I consider myself an advid movie fan but I see no where near that much. Second, if you don't mind my asking, what is it about Black Panther that makes you like it so much? Personally I think it is an okay film but way overrated. Everyone's entitled to there own opinion though so I was just wondering why you like it so much?

2. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd love for Disney to just have everything available, but I strongly suspect that they'll rotate their films in and out. (I'm sure TV shows will stick though. I'm hoping they have some of their old original cartoons for viewing) There's a good chance I'll end up getting the service.

Edit: Just remembered that they're buying out FOX, so I'm wondering if any FOX shows and movies will end up on their service. At the very least, I want the X-Men cartoons...

Last edited: 4 Feb 2019
    ThylacineAlive likes this.
  3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

@TeaLovingDave You have a great point about Robert De Niro, as he was arguably one of the greatest actors of all-time for many years and with 7 Oscar nominations (and two wins) he is still recognized as a legend. However, the amount of crap that he has made in the past couple of decades (Dirty Grandpa???) makes me shake my head. I've already watched almost every film he has ever made...so I have to keep going to complete the 'set'. :) That is why I visited almost every single zoo in U.S. states like Michigan and Wisconsin last summer...gotta see them all!

As for Christopher Lee, he made so many low-budget horror films that even though he was prolific, it wasn't as if he was making Academy-nominated movies that I normally watch.

@Hipporex Black Panther is, in my humble opinion, the best Marvel film ever and I'm not the only one that thinks that way as it was the #1 movie at the box office in 2018, the #1 superhero movie ever in terms of dollars earned at the box office, and the only superhero movie to ever be nominated for Best Picture. Black Panther stands out from the rest of the superhero films as it created a whole new environment (Wakanda), had a powerful protagonist, terrific villains, a colourful atmosphere and a bold story. It was something totally different than any of the many other Marvel motion pictures and my only hope is that the sequel maintains that consistency.

Also, me watching 400+ movies each year is actually a conservative estimate as I'm almost embarrassed to admit the real total. I watch a TON of films and really try to see everything by certain actors. For example, I've watched almost 100% of Denzel Washington's films, probably 95% of Cate Blanchett's movies, etc.

ZooBinh likes this.
  4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Somehow I doubt that all 400+ movies you watch each year are Academy-nominated - so I rather think you are less picky than you like to imply :p ;)

Something which Guardians of the Galaxy did first ;)

I suspect that, no matter what one thinks of the film, this has a lot more to do with the fact that comic book movies have become very much mainstream in the past decade or so and less to do with the quality of Black Panther itself; historically the genre has been deemed too "fringe" and lowbrow to merit such recognition, in a similar fashion to how animated films were also snubbed by the Academy Awards for many decades and ultimately given the consolation prize of a distinct category - Best Animated Feature - to avoid having to sully the Best Picture nominations with something so childish :p even now, only three animated films have ever been nominated for Best Picture; Beauty and the Beast, Up and Toy Story 3, the latter two of which only scraped through after the nomination list was lengthened from 5 to 10.

On another note, might as well post my own Marvel rankings:

The Incredible Hulk (2008)
    Thor: The Dark World (2013)
    Iron Man 2 (2010)
    Doctor Strange (2016)
    Iron Man 3 (2013)
    Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
    Thor (2011)
    Black Panther (2018)
    Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)
    Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
    Captain America: Civil War (2016)
    Ant-Man (2015)
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
    The Avengers (2012)
    Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
    Iron Man (2008)
    Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
    Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
    Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

5. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd argue that it was a very poorly fleshed out environment with much of what was shown being very nonsensical and out of universe in comparison to the rest of the MCU.

Not to mention that BP comes nowhere near the quality of comic book movies such The Dark Knight and Logan, both of which were quite purposefully left out of consideration for the awards. Even Infinity War is generally considered to be a much better movie by audiences despite being (slightly) less popular.

Not to be "that guy", but it certainly feels as though there's a bit of an ulterior motive for nominating the film as well. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying it was only nominated because it's "the black superhero movie", but rather because the Oscars have been a bit desperate for increased viewership as of late. Nominating a film simply due to its popularity is something the Golden Globes is very well known for, and did with BP, but the Academy has always been above that (except maybe with Mad Max?). However, the fact that viewership has been steadily decreasing over the years and the fact that they attempted to introduce a "most popular film" category specifically for this year before getting severe backlash for it, tells me they've been toying with the idea a bit. Top that off with the fact that BP is one of only three movies in the last 25 years to be nominated for Best Picture without being nominated for any other major award (best director, best leading/supporting actor/actress, best cinematography) and the point gets nailed home for me.

~Thylo

SpinyLiving and Hipporex like this.
  6. Hipporex

I feel Black Panther deserves to win "Best Costume Design" but definitely not "Best Picture" although, as has already been pointed out, the Oscars aren't necessarily as fair as we'd like them to be now are they. (On a side note, I'm annoyed Fallen Kingdom didn't get a nomination for "Best Visual Effects," but a movie like Christopher Robin, but that's not relevant to the current conversation). Also wasn't Thor the first to introduce a "new environment" (a.k.a. Asgard).

Last edited: 4 Feb 2019
    SpinyLiving likes this.
  7. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Best reviewed MCU movie ever: Black Panther
    Best MCU Rottentomatoes score: Black Panther is at 97%
    Best Metacritic score: Black Panther is at 88
    Biggest box office Marvel hit ever: Black Panther
    Biggest box office hit of 2018: Black Panther
    Only superhero film to ever be nominated for Best Picture: Black Panther

If someone doesn't really like the film Black Panther then that is cool, but just know that you are in the smallest of minorities.* There are more than 7,000 voters that have the opportunity to cast ballots for the Academy Awards and one would hope that those thousands of individuals are voting based strictly on quality. Just because a few zoo nerds didn't enjoy Black Panther, even though almost everyone else in the world did, doesn't mean much in the big scheme of things. I am hopeful that there is no ulterior motive on the minds of voters as that would be disingenuous.

*I wasn't a fan of The Artist (2011) or Chicago (2002) and those movies both won Best Picture.

8. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm quite busy at the minute so will reply to the points raised by others later, but Logan (in my opinion) is pretty crap, it just happened to be better than the other two from Hugh Jackman. It only came out as a good film because Fox suck at making superhero films! Except Deadpool, they did good there! :)

SpinyLiving likes this.
  9. ThylacineAlive

You've used the fact that the movie is popular to prove that the movie is popular... Although I do note that you've used the better of the two Rotten Tomato scores for BP, with the actual audience score being in the 70s and below that of Infinity War and 12 other MCU films. Also you're only correct in saying BP is the only superhero film to ever be nominated if you ignore Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse which has a 97% critic rating and a 94% audience score. Yes it's an animated movie, and as such not qualified for the proper Best Picture award for the reasons @TeaLovingDave explained, but you'll have a harder time finding someone who thinks BP is the better movie than you will someone who thinks BP isn't worthy of its nomination.

There is a lot of criticism of Black Panther on the web and it seems many critics that loved the movie even disagree with its nomination for Best Picture. The descriptions "smallest of minorities" and "almost everyone else in the world" are extreme exaggerations, with the opinion of the film being overrated seemingly growing in popularity.

As I said before, the Academy's already admitted they wanted to start including films due to their popularity as well as quality. They have also stated they would start including more diverse films in order to get away from the whole #oscarssowhite controversy. These are statements released by the Academy and its 7,000+ members, not speculation. The fact that BP checks off both of those boxes, is one of only three films in 25+ years to not be nominated for any other major categories, and is generally considered by critics and audiences alike to "only" be the third best superhero film of the year more than suggests that there were ulterior motives in its nomination.

BP is an extremely culturally significant film and I wouldn't argue against that with anybody, but do not confuse popularity for quality. The Transformers franchise, later Pirates of the Caribbean movies, Minions, The Phantom Menace, and Iron Man 3 are all some of the biggest box office successes of all time but you'll be hard pressed nowadays to find people who actually love most of them.

Speaking of box office, though, you're also incorrect in saying that BP is the MCU's biggest hit. It's actually the fourth biggest under all three Avengers films, and it has the third biggest opening weekend for an MCU film behind the original Avengers and Infinity War.

~Thylo

10. ThylacineAlive

Yeah but you like Thor: The Dark World so your opinion means nothing to me :p ;)

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on Logan if you haven't posted them on the review thread yet, as I personally think it's one of the best comic book movies of all time!

~Thylo

11. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

:D Well played, well played! :p

Rather than derailing the thread I'll post my thoughts on the review thread, but not tonight as I'm knackered and if I start typing a review then I may not stop. It won't be on the same level as your Jurassic World: FK rant, but it may be close. ;)

12. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who didn't think Avengers: Infinity War was much good? :D

13. Hipporex

No, my English teacher has very openly told us how much he dislikes that movie

14. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Haha, guess what my profession is? :p

Brum and Hipporex like this.
  15. ThylacineAlive

You teach Chinese to British students? :p

~Thylo

Hipporex likes this.
  16. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

English to the Chinese?

17. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Selling coal to Newcastle? :p

18. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’ll throw my hat into this Black Panther ring. In my rankings of all MCU movies, I ranked it 8th and I would stand by this ranking. It’s a decent movie, but it wasn’t even the best MCU film released this year, let alone the best movie of the year. In fact, I can’t see why Infinity War couldn’t have been nominated for an Oscar, it definitely was a huge hit and great movie, although it would probably be too “super-hero” the academy’s liking. If it had a mostly black cast like Black Panther, it wins the Best Picture in a heart-beat.

I can definitely agree with this, the Dark Knight and Logan could’ve definitely been nominated for Oscars. The Dark Knight is in my opinion, the greatest super hero movie of all time, the best super-hero villain ever, a great opening scene, the gritty realism of it all, Harvey Dent turning into Two-Face, just an outstanding movie. Logan was great as well, it felt like a very personal film, as in the villains weren’t really that important, it was just about Logan himself... I don’t really know, great movie.

I thought that the environment was alright, definitely different, but not in a great way. I liked how Wakanda just appears out of this forest and it’s this giant futuristic city, but at the same time it was a little too unrealistic for my tastes. As for the protagonist, was I the only one who found the Black Panther himself boring? Chadwick Bozeman did a good job, but some of the lines they gave him were terrible, and he wasn’t dynamic enough. Villains were good, not Loki or Thanos good but some of the best in the series. Although I wish Andy Serkis wasn’t killed as early as he was. I didn’t really think it was a bold story or different from most MCU movies, it followed the same general plot line as all others with a few wrinkles (mostly black cast, new environment).

Last edited: 5 Feb 2019
  19. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'ma big defender of the film but it's fairly regular to see it ranked as one of the worst films. I think one key factor is the emphasis on Jane Foster, as a lot of viewers don't seem very invested in the love interest characters of the Marvel universe, and the lack of screentime for Malekith in the final film, although as in most cases, this was a result of post-production, which frequently de-fanged Marvel's villains in the first two phases and lead to their sour reputation. What's always strange to me is I recall a lot of criticism for the amount of humor in The Dark World, but since Ragnarok's release, it's often described as drearier and more melodramatic. I think some of this is because the former drew humor mostly from the science team, whereas the latter made every character somewhat comic in nature. I liked Ragnarok a lot but I get so tired talking about it because I loathe the constant comparisons to the previous films.

This is a very informal ranking on my part, and I really, really need to rewatch Winter Soldier and Homecoming, as I've only seen both once each:

Iron Man 2
    Doctor Strange
    Thor: The Dark World
    The Incredible Hulk
    Avengers: Age of Ultron
    Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol 2

Iron Man 3
    Ant Man
    Iron Man
    Thor
    Captain American: The First Avenger
    Captain America: The Winter Solider
    Spider-Man: Homecoming
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Thor: Ragnarok / Black Panther -- Tie
    Ant Man and the Wasp
    The Avengers
    Avengers: Infinity War
    Captain America: Civil War

As a common trend, I usually haven't liked the sophomore sequels, and often prefer the films that focused on team dynamics, and even most of the higher solo films here included another hero co-star.

20. ThylacineAlive

The only love interest storylines that never worked for me in the MCU are Jane "Forced-Her" Foster and Sharon Carter (Peggy Carter's niece even though canonically Peggy only had one brother who died in like the 30s without having had a kid but regardless how could someone who'd need to have been born in the 50s at the latest be in their late 20s or early 30s in 2016??)

~Thylo