Join our zoo community

What is your ranking of the MCU movies? (from least favorite to most favorite)

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Hipporex, 26 Jan 2019.

1. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Imperator Furiosa

Imperator Furiosa Well-Known Member

Gonna make a couple adjustments now that the 21st MCU film is officially out. I'd put Captain Marvel in Number 15 now, I gave it a 6/10. Obviously now everything that came lower than it is shifted a number so Hulk is number 21, Thor: The Dark World is 20, etc.

Wow, the MCU is now old enough to drink in cinematic universe years. Crazy to think there are so many now.

Hipporex, ThylacineAlive and ZooBinh like this.
  3. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I just saw Captain Marvel, I'm placing it in the 09 to 11 range.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I'm not going to watch Captain Marvel, and I will place it... let's say, at the bottom of the Marvel movies I am not going to watch because it has the worst trailers of the Marvel movies I am not going to watch.

It really doesn't matter how good or bad the movie is, it is still going to make a bajillion dollars because all the Marvel fans have to go see it in case they miss some super-important plot-point for Endgame.

5. Hipporex

Perhaps that's why I liked it so much: I didn't watch any trailers.

6. Hammy

Hammy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

19. Thor: Ragnarok
    18. Black Panther
    17. Avengers: Age of Ultron
    16. Captain America: Civil War
    15. Avengers: Infinity War
    14. Iron Man 2
    13. Ant-Man
    12. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    11. Spider-Man: Homecoming
    10. Doctor Strange
    09. Thor: The Dark World
    08. Thor
    07. Iron Man 3
    06. Ant-Man and the Wasp
    05. Captain America: The First Avenger
    04. Iron Man
    03. Guardians of the Galaxy
    02. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    01. Avengers

Didn't include Hulk or Captain Marvel. Still haven't seen the former after years of procrastination, and I'm not that interested in seeing the latter, at least not in theaters. Man, this was tough. The bottom two movies were easy, but choosing between the ones I actually like a lot? Whew.

Kinda rated it based on my own willingness to rewatch the movies, but even that only applies to so much. I'm really not difficult to please when it comes to these movies. I love Guardians, I love my boys Tony and Steve, and I loved Thor before Ragnarok broke my heart. There's not more than couple movies that I really don't enjoy, even if I sometimes would have liked for the progression of the films to have gone a little differently. Could've used more time establishing the Avengers as a cohesive unit before Ultron and Civil War broke that unit into little tiny pieces and made me sob, but not as hard as I sobbed at Guardians 2.

Hipporex likes this.
  7. Hipporex

You placed Ragnarok as you least favorite... Never speak to me again. (I'm joking... or am I?!)

amur leopard, SpinyLiving and Brum like this.
  8. Hammy

Hammy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

No, you don't speak to me, consarnit. I'm not crazy! You're all crazy! :p

Last edited: 10 Mar 2019
    SpinyLiving and Hipporex like this.
  9. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

To be fair, the promos for Captain Marvel didn't do the film justice. It's pretty middle-of-the-pack Phase 3 and not a patch on Wonder Woman, but it is a fun couple of hours. Despite being super dull in the trailers, I thought Brie Larson was the best part. She can be a bit hit-or-miss (Room and Kong, respectively), but I'm looking forward to seeing her again. Would recommend.

10. TheMightyOrca

Yeah, I'd put Captain Marvel as a mid-tier movie. It has flaws but nothing too big, it's a solid film. Larson and Jackson have FANTASTIC chemistry!

11. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

While the point of trailers are to make one want to watch a movie, I would definitely agree that the trailers for this movie don't do it justice whatsoever.

Am I the only one who thinks Wonder Woman is only a pretty okish movie? I thought the third act was horrible...

~Thylo

Brum likes this.
  12. Chlidonias

Maybe if you'd watched the trailers you would have liked the movie even better...

13. Chlidonias

Yeah, you keep saying that and you just keep being wrong :p

14. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I watched Captain Marvel this afternoon.

I think the film had two separate millstones round its neck previewing:

Firstly, the disappointing trailer. I haven't seen Green Lantern, but I know that when people are making that comparison you're in trouble. Having seen the film it's more baffling why they managed to produce such a dull advert of it.

Secondly, the female lead. This meant that there were always going to be two factions: those determined to love it and those determined to hate it (those of us with no agenda in the middle don't deserve the faction label I'd say). Making things worse was the fact that each faction was and is bound to label anyone who disagrees with them as ideologically driven rather than simply having an opinion.

Having actually watched it:

Most people are saying it is a middle-of-the-pack film, and I think that's bang on. The performances are all good, and Captain Marvel herself is a compelling and enjoyable character; enough at least that I look forward to seeing her in future films as long as they maintain her excess levels of sarcasm.

I think where the film falls down is tonally. It doesn't have a clear identity. Although it certainly has its moments it isn't the feminist battlecry many would have wanted (that's a comment not a criticism, although I think Marvel may have done enough in that semi-political direction to leave everyone a little dissatisfied). It certainly isn't particularly 'dark'. Personally I'd have maybe preferred it to have been taken more in the slightly camp direction of Guardians; the humour of the interactions between Carole and Fury is perhaps the best part of the film and of course the Kree setting and retro soundtrack invite the similarity.

This film is a good watch and entirely undeserving of the 'controversy' around it. Go and enjoy it!

15. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd largely agree with you. It was a very good and interesting, differently textured (from most other superhero), movie until the final act when it just deteriorated into cliched, over-long fight sequence.

16. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So I saw Captain Marvel yesterday, and well, I thought it sucked. Definitely my least favorite MCU movie and the only time that I walked out of the theater and thought "well this was an awful movie". I have so many reasons why I hated this movie but I'll put some of the main ones down here (with a spoiler warning)
    1. The ending of the movie was terrible. Basically, Ronan (remember him as the terrible villain in GOTG?) and his huge Kree army come to earth to try and take the Tesseract from Captain Marvel/Skrulls. The Kree drop a crap-ton of giant missiles at Earth butCaptain Marvel deflects them back at the Kree, destroys a few of their ships, and Ronan, instead of fighting her with his massive army just turns around and runs away. Why? You have a massive army, hundreds of ships, thousands of highly-trained Kree soldiers and you can't fight off one person? Surely Captain Marvel isn't that strong? Back on Earth, her old Kree mentor-turned-enemy whose name entirely escapes me challenges her to a fight but she's like "I have nothing to prove to you" and blasts him in the chest. And that's really the end of the movie. There's some boring exposition, and one of the most jaw-droppingly idiotic moments in Marvel history (I'll get to that later), but the movie basically ends after she blasts the Kree dude in the chest. I found it to be a really un-satisfying conclusion.
    2. Captain Marvel is way too powerful. I get that Marvel is trying to go for a strong female character, but in this case they made her way too powerful. She destroys whole Kree battleships in seconds, deflects hundreds of massive warheads and even without her powers she defeats at least 50 Kree with her bare hands. Not once in the entire movie did I even think she might be in any sort of actual trouble. There was no tension in any of the fight scenes, as Captain Marvel was just so much stronger than any other person in the movie
    3. The villains were atrocious. So Ronan was in this movie, did anyone actually like Ronan from GOTG? Anyways, he barely did anything and was too cowardly to fight Captain Marvel, even though he had a massive army, very boring character. I guess for half the movie the Skrulls were bad guys, but they were hard to take seriously after Captain Marvel took down 50 without using her powers. The final bad guy was the Kree-mentor dude, I feel like the writers were trying to set this guy up as this interesting bad guy, who Captain Marvel used to respect but then turned evil, but that totally failed. Why? Because he was incredibly boring! He had no backstory, interesting characteristics, emotions, he was just a soldier who hated Skrulls and was far too weak to fight Captain Marvel.
    4. The battle scenes were very poor. I won't elaborate to much on this but I thought the fight scenes really sucked in this movie, especially when you compare them to other MCU movies. I thought they were quite sparse compared to other MCU movies, and when they were there, they were poorly shot, far too hectic and very predictable. The battle scene on the space laboratory was particularly awful, the lighting was atrocious and again, it lacked any sort of tension.
    5. How Nick Fury lost his eye was extremely disrespectful to his character, and probably my least favorite part of the movie. Nick Fury has been in the MCU for a very long time, and he's always been one of my favorite characters. One of his defining attributes is his eye patch, and it shows just how tough and gritty he is- I've wondered how he lost his eye ever since he entered the MCU. I was shocked when I watched the part where the cat scratched out his eye, I can see that the writers were going for, but it's entirely against who Nick Fury is and was honestly appealingly bad. And yes I know that the cat isn't in ordinary cat, but it's still awful writing and extremely disrespectful to the Nick Fury character.

So those are most of my main gripes with the film, I have numerous smaller moments that irritated me but I don't have all day to type up this post. That being said, there were some good parts of the movie; the acting was generally solid, the CGI was very well done especially with Samuel L. Jackson's face, the bits in Louisiana were very good, but overall the negatives far outweigh the positives and I walked out of Captain Marvel thinking it was one of the worst movies I've seen in the past year. For a rating I'd probably give it a 2/10.

17. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

18. TheMightyOrca

I was so happy to hear this! I suspect that after firing him, Disney quickly realized that it was a mistake but didn't want to hire him back quickly because that would be admitting that they made a big, reactionary mistake. So they waited long enough to where no one would call them out. I mean, they didn't even try looking for a new director.

Granted, Gunn also had a lot going for him here. He never trash-talked Disney even though this firing must have been extremely upsetting. He had a lot of support from fans, cast members, various Disney execs, and other directors. It also turns out that most people don't actually care if you made some tasteless jokes 10 years ago so long as you haven't done anything offensive recently. Whatever the case, I'm just happy he's back! Ever since he got fired I haven't been able to watch the GotG movies cause they just made me sad that we might not get a (proper) third one. I think I'll celebrate by watching GotG2, it should still be on Netflix, heh heh.

In other MCU news, there's a new Endgame trailer! Doesn't have a lot of new footage compared to previous trailers but it's still enough to get me hyped!
    New Avengers: Endgame Trailer Brings Captain Marvel Into The Mix

The Disney/FOX merger will be finalized on March 20. This means big things for the MCU, as they'll have access to the Fantastic Four and the X-Men.
    Disney's huge Fox merger is going to be made official very soon

ThylacineAlive, TZDugong and Brum like this.
  19. dsimmons917

dsimmons917 Active Member

Dislike:
    20. Ant-Man and the Wasp
    19. Spider-Man: Homecoming
    18. Iron Man 2
    17. Thor: Dark World
    16. Black Panther
    15. Incredible Hulk
    14. Thor: Ragnarok
    13. Iron Man 3
    12. Avengers: Age of Ultron

Like:
    11. Ant-Man
    10. Avengers
    9. Thor
    8. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    7. Doctor Strange
    6. Guardians of the Galaxy
    5. Captain America: Civil War
    4. Iron Man
    3. Avengers: Infinity War
    2. Captain America: the First Avenger
    1. Captain America: Winter Soldier

20. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

21. Iron Man 3
    20. Incredible Hulk
    19.Black Panther
    18. Thor
    17. Winter Soldier
    16.Iron Man 2
    15. Iron Man
    14. The First Avenger
    13. Doctor Strange
    12. Ant-Man & The Wasp
    11. Age Of Ultron
    10. The Dark World
    9. Captain Marvel
    8. Ant-Man
    7. Spider-Man:Homecoming
    6. Civil War
    5. Avengers
    4. Guardians Volume 2
    3. Guardians Of The Galaxy
    2. Infinity War
    1. Ragnarok

New entry at number nine and a slight re-jig with Ant-Man and Thor:TDW.