Join our zoo community

What is your ranking of the MCU movies? (from least favorite to most favorite)

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Hipporex, 26 Jan 2019.

1. Hammy

Hammy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My opinions isn't wrong! Your opinion is wrong! Engage me in fisticuffs! As for Iron Man 3, I know it's not a great movie, but Tony's my favorite, and seeing even a sliver of an attempt to deal with his issues that later get completely sidelined pleases me.

2. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Again, where is this hate for Black Panther coming from? I thought it had an interesting and compelling storyline, great settings, good fight scenes, well-developed characters and a complex villain. What did you find bland about it?

3. Hammy

Hammy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't hate the film, not in the seething way I hate Ragnarok, it's just not enjoyable for me. As for what I find bland, for me, it hinges on the characters. That's what I tend to focus on. Particularly T'Challa himself. To me, he's as wooden and one-dimensional as Carol Danvers (though, I can pick Carol apart more than I can T'Challa) and could have used some of his anti-hero tendencies from the comics. I walked into the theater wanting to like him, I liked him okay in Civil War, but then I just found nothing in his character. No significant internal or even external struggles until late in the film. He seems to have done any growing he needed to do in Civil War and, for me, that leaves his character kinda flat in Black Panther. I enjoy the deeply flawed and even very broken, emotionally or physically or both, characters of the other films who have to build themselves up. T'Challa's just not doing much for me.

As for other characters, I found Shuri forced and kind of annoying without much depth similar to T'Challa (and as of Infinity War, I can't stand her because she was mean to Bruce and that's an unforgivable crime in my book). The girlfriend, don't even remember her name is- nice, I guess? Maybe I'm not remembering well enough, but she didn't seem to do that much. The only one I really enjoyed was M'Baku because of how boisterous and fun he made his few scenes, and even then, I don't find myself caring for the character in any lasting way. As for Killmonger, frankly, I just can't get myself to care. I can appreciate his motivations, though, I think the whole killing children thing pushes him beyond the pale, but I wouldn't count him as much better than any other mediocre MCU villain. None of these characters really spoke to me in the way something like Guardians really did. Maybe that says more about me than anything, that I prefer casts where there's a whole metric ton of baggage to go around.

Wakanda as a whole was a pretty neat setting, though, I thought it was underutilized with much of the conflict arising from outside of it. The opening scene, I remember laughing at it in the theater because of how cartoonish the whole "I'm on your side, but wait! I was actually on his side the whole time" thing was. As a whole, not a particularly memorable or fun watch for me and not something I'd care to watch more than the couple times I have.

All of this is subjective of course, and certainly don't let me stop you from enjoying what you enjoy. Ultimately, I'm just not into it the same way I am other movies in the franchise.

Brum and ThylacineAlive like this.
  4. carl the birder

carl the birder Well-Known Member 5+ year member

i just saw endgame for the first down it is hands down the best MCU movie also tomorov i am going to se far from home

ThylacineAlive and Brum like this.
  5. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

captain marvel was the best movie besides endgame fight me

6. carl the birder

carl the birder Well-Known Member 5+ year member

so i just saw far from home it was good bether the homecoming
    this is my list so far. i have seen far from all but i am working on it
    11thor
    10 capten america 1
    9 spider man homecoming
    8 ant man and the wasp
    7 spider man far from home
    6 ant man
    5 doctor strage
    4 gaurdiens of the galexy vol 2
    3 infynery war
    2 gaurdisen of the galexy vol1
    1engame

animal_expert01 likes this.
  7. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. Ebirah766

Really? I expected more, the Spiderman thing seemed to just be getting up and running.

9. Brum

According to the terms of the new Sony/Disney deal there's one more solo film and then an ensemble movie, after that Peter Parker is off to the Venom-verse.

10. Brum

Just going to leave this here, some of you might find it interesting I suppose.

11. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Meh, it looks kind of lame. I appreciate that they just made a straight trailer without forcing the current movie politics into it, but it seems really badly edited together. Those Russian accents too...

Brum and ThylacineAlive like this.
  12. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree, but I hope it's good. It feels a little redundant to give her a solo movie after she died in Endgame, though. At the moment I don't find myself too interested in the plot of this, but I've never really cared about seeing her origins. I personally would have preferred a gritty DareDevil-esque show where Black Widow and Hawkeye go on various SHIELD missions.

~Thylo

Brum likes this.
  13. Chlidonias

What!? Spoiler Alert! I haven't seen that movie yet.

14. Chlidonias

What about a Hawkeye origins movie? That'd be interesting. He gets given a bow and arrow as a kid, and gets really good at it. Oh, never mind, that sounds stupid.

I read some random theory comment on a John Wick 2 video about how Black Widow might have come from the same Russian assassin academy as him. That'd be a much better origins movie for her than what this trailer looks like.

jayjds2 likes this.
  15. Ebirah766

Anyone else think the whole shows/movie combined thing is dumb?

16. ThylacineAlive

That's not my problem :p I'm surprised you haven't seen it considering the sexy blue cyborg lady features prominently.

They're doing a Hawkeye standalone TV show... It could be good, but I still feel a gritty buddy cop-type show would have worked really well.

~Thylo

SpinyLiving likes this.
  17. ThylacineAlive

Not inherently. The only thing I don't like is that, for some of the upcoming movies, you have to watch the shows to be caught up. TV show crossovers can be fun, but not if you're obligated to buy a subscription to Disney+ in order to understand the movie you just played $18 to go see.

~Thylo

18. Brum

What? Come on, even CinemaSins have done their video now. Surely you've seen that at least?

19. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I stand with @Chlidonias, I have not seen the movie .... :p:oops:

20. Chlidonias

I was going to watch it at the cinema when it was out, but when I went the only seat left was in the front corner so I declined. And I've never got round to seeing it since then. I've seen the Cinema Sins video though - I thought that was quite good, although I don't know how genuine his sins were...