Join our zoo community

What makes tiger exhibit great?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by stetley, 3 Apr 2012.

1. stetley

stetley New Member

What makes for a really great tiger exhibit?

Consider answering any (or all) of these:
    What makes it superior from the
    The publics point of view
    The keepers point or view
    The animals point of view

2. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Looks too much like school work to me.:rolleyes:

3. stetley

stetley New Member

Whats your favorite Tiger exhibit?

Lets try this again! (Nope, its not a school project! I am long out of school!)

Last edited: 4 Apr 2012
  4. stetley

stetley New Member

Whats your favorite Tiger exhibit?

:) Lets try this again! If you have a favorite Tiger exhibit, please let me know so I can check it out

(Nope, its not a school project-I am long out of school!)

5. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

What makes a good tiger exhibit;

A raised viewing platform, somewhere a tiger can relax. A pool of some sort (maybe a moat) somewhere a tiger can bath. A cubbing den if they hold a breeding pair. Enrichment - for example; hidding food up a pole or a tree. Other sort of enrichment are, swapping enclosures for them to try out each others scents, getting some faeces from a deer/antelope species.

Glass viewing, something that children and adults can see a tiger for it's size and appearance. Indoor viewing, something that you can see the animal under cover/indoor.

For the keepers, I think what any keeper would like is somewhere they can take the tigers off-show and crate/weight them without having to knock them out for anything.

Animal viewing, all I can think of is somewhere they can eat, sleep, and get away from the public.

6. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A new and exciting trend for tiger exhibits is glass-fronted ponds with underwater viewing. I have not seen one in person yet, but I know here in the USA Bronx Zoo has it and another zoo also in the Northeast (I forget which one). Cincinnati Zoo will be opening one this summer. Does anyone know if there are any outside the USA?

As far as what makes it great, I think any exhibit that is large and has variable terrain with a mix of open areas and forest.

Best in this country is probably the Minnesota Zoo.
    Other good USA ones (that I have personally seen) are Fort Worth Zoo, Dallas Zoo, Nashville Zoo.

I am eagerly anticipating the new sumatran tiger exhibits next year at Phoenix Zoo and San Diego Safari Park.

7. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Leipzig zoo has a fantastic tiger underwater view. At one time the pool also had huge sturgeon in it as well!

Adelaide zoo sort of has this--one edge of the pool in the exhibit is a glass wall, but it is located deep inside the exhibit so not nearly as effective as the Bronx or Leipzig.

Busch Gardens and (I think) Virginia Zoo have underwater tiger views, and I think Seattle is planning one too.

8. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

I think with tiger exhibits that people always go with the more natural the better. People I have seen will react better to an exhibit that uses chainlink or other metal fencing to blend into the background than any exhibit involving mock rock or moats even if they do have glass viewing.

9. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Adelaide also has a more traditional underwater view into the same pond.
    Here's a link to a site with some photos of both water viewing areas:
    DSLRUsers.com • View topic - Adelaide Zoo Immersion Exhibit
    It should be noted that those photos must have been taken when the exhibit was quite new because both exhibits are very lush now.

My favourite tiger exhibit in Australia has to be Melbourne Zoo though. It is quite big, has two large viewing windows as well as a raised viewing over a moat, and it has been around for almost 20 years. And a second exhibit is on the cards to allow more flexibility for when there are cubs etc.

http://www.zoochat.com/51/melbourne-zoo-july-2009-a-90426/

10. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Public feeding and presentations - people go mad over it.
    Indoor viewing.
    Also, in few zoos which made raised tree trunk of platform, often tigers like to sit on it, and public likes to photograph them. Apparently many big cats love to watch their environment - somebody compared it to watching TV.

Underwater viewing I saw was always disappointing. Tigers don't go into water, and if they do, the sight is just some tiger paws dangling in the water. They are not otters or anything. One of more expensive flops in exhibit design.

11. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have to disagree with the last comment. In parts of the world where the weather can be hot and humid, tigers spend a significant time in the water. It is true they are more likely to rest in shallow areas than swim in deep pools, but I've seen swimming/wading tigers (on hot summer days) in Miami, Washington DC, Leipzig, Columbus, Minnesota and (underwater) at the Bronx. It may be rare but it's very cool to see when it happens.

12. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

There are many truly great tiger exhibits in North American zoos, with the two best perhaps being found at the Minnesota and Bronx zoos. In regards to tiger underwater viewing areas, here is a tiger resting in its pool at Baton Rouge Zoo, Louisiana:

http://www.zoochat.com/1516/baton-rouge-zoo-realm-tiger-207421/

13. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Wow, another underwater tiger exhibit that I was not aware of. (To be honest, I was not even aware there was a Baton Rouge Zoo).

14. MountainBongo

MountainBongo Well-Known Member

Every time I am at the San Diego Zoo the 1 year old tigers (Chris and Conner) are swimming in the water!