Join our zoo community

What makes you different from other Zoochatters

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by lowland anoa, 31 Oct 2020.

1. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hello guys, I thought this thread would be useful for you to express yourself, whatever talents and hobbies you follow that not so much people do. Well it can be anything from disabilities to weird talents.

Here’s mine:
    It’s quite hard to tell from my posts, but I’m profoundly deaf, I’m proud of this, I embrace the deaf culture. Yes we do have our own culture. I use sign language, to be specific, British Sign Language (BSL). However I did not take speech therapy, so you could call me “deaf and dumb” which is a rather outdated English term for a deaf person that cannot speak. Many people who I talk to online, refuse to believe that I’m deaf, but when are you supposed to believe something someone on the web tells you. I’m proud to be bilingual (well trilingual, since American Sign Language isn’t a language I use in everyday life, but I can have a deep conversation with my American friends).

Now that I have that information off my shoulders, I would like to hear about what makes you different :)

2. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am me.

3. lowland anoa

Thou art a smart bastard :D

4. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

I'm maybe the only zoochatter that found boring or annoying that people give so much importance to some animals (especially big cats) as for mind if a tiger is Sumatran or Siberian or whatever, when the important thing in the animal kingdom (and other kingdoms) is the species and not the subespecies. And the very vast majority animal species on Earth don't have ever any common names.

I'm also a forever defensor of classic, logic and scientific taxonomy, versus the modern taxocraziness that most zoochatters follow blindly and that at most of the cases is simply absurd

lowland anoa likes this.
  5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Errmmm hate to say it tio, but I don't think you are as I get a little annoyed with the subspecies emphasis over the species too and I'm a conservationist and we tend to want to blindly conserve even subspecies.

felis silvestris likes this.
  6. lowland anoa

Ugh same, zoos tend to go crazy for Sumatrans. I honestly don’t understand as other tiger subspecies are endangered too but Sumatran often grab the spotlight

7. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Given the fact you have been known to insist that koalas are a species of possum because you only accept pre-1945 marsupial taxonomy, that people who disagree with you regarding cetacean taxonomy are mentally ill, and that your stances are correct based purely on your own "LOGIC AND KNOWLEDGE" whilst any evidence for the contrary is wrong just because, I think we all know where the absurdity lies - but let's not rake over that old chestnut again, shall we?

8. lowland anoa

I wouldn’t get a bit carried away, but this thread is about what makes you different, so @Kakapo stated his answer. So if you’re going to contribute to this thread, tell us about yourself :)

9. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I feel you would get along well with David Peters

Birdsage likes this.
  10. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm Council Estate scum. By that I mean I'm common as muck and it really shows... ;) I'm still hilarious though... :D

11. lowland anoa

Ah, you wouldn’t be the only one here in Scotland, in fact we worship them. Here you go, knowing that we worship you :p

felis silvestris and Brum like this.
  12. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

I guess I don't use common names much when regarding taxonomy, I tend to always use Latin names while talking about different species. I also don't mind animals without common names, and I treat them as if the Latin names were their scientific names.

I also surprisingly am not that talkative guy at the zoo whos walking around and blabbing about animals, I usually am the shady bystander staring at the animals. Im not good at expressing myself in terms of animal knowledge, I usually keep it all chocked up in my brain, and use it later.

JT, LowlandGorilla4 and lowland anoa like this.
  13. lowland anoa

Wel I don’t talk at all in zoos :D ;)

14. Someokapinextdoor

Someokapinextdoor Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a lion in more than 10 years (at least I don't conscously remember)

15. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

You could have talked to your heart's content at Galloway Wildlife Park :p

felis silvestris likes this.
  16. lowland anoa

Ah yes, I once volunteered, it was a fun experience and to get to know the owner was well worth it, sad times right now that the park is not there anymore

17. Onychorhynchus coronatus

@CheeseChameleon2007 Come on :rolleyes:... I don't mean to be over cynical or rude but you using latin names to talk about different species, I'm going to have to call bulls*** on that.

I don't even use Latin names unless I absolutely have to for avoiding confusion and things like that and I'm a biologist and surrounded by the need to do this. o_O

18. lowland anoa

Good point! Specifically fish and invertebrates you’ll usually use the Latin names as some species have the same common name

19. Onychorhynchus coronatus

With axolotls / ambystoma salamanders (all called "ajolotes" / axolotls in Spanish), tamarins (especially with the black lion tamarin and Superagüi lion tamarin) and the two mountain marmosets sometimes you just have to out of necessity.

There are just so many common names for these in Spanish, English and Portuguese that tend to sound so irritatingly similar that people confuse them and you invariably end up getting confused too and tripping up or talking about the wrong thing etc.

20. lowland anoa

Exactly, there’s too many species and not enough common names. I’m improving on my Latin names and typically for fish. Specifically Madagascan freshwater fish and some marine species