Join our zoo community

What makes you different from other Zoochatters

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by lowland anoa, 31 Oct 2020.

1. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

Thats okay @Onychorhynchus coronatus, its just what I use, but it becomes a lot more useful in my opinion for animals that don't have common names. It doesn't have to be annoying, just note that that's what is unique about me, and you really can't change that. :)

2. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe that it’s okay for a zoo to exist without a noble purpose as long as the animal is taken well care of.

I don’t get mad over unnatural enclosures (such as the Asahiyama zoo or Columbus zoo’s albeit I still have problems with the latter over ideological reasons) as long as the animals can display natural behaviors and the safety isn’t compromised.

Prohibition of the “nasty” wildlife trade is shortsighted in my opinion.

3. Jake1508

Jake1508 Well-Known Member

I was born with Aspergers as most of you know.. nuff said.

4. lowland anoa

lowland anoa Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well this thread was set up for you to express yourself, I did say that you could pick anything

evilmonkey239 and Jake1508 like this.
  5. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A lot of us are autistic ;)

6. Jake1508

I can tell you a whole lot more about me but you will be here for a while :D

7. lowland anoa

Fire away :p

8. Jake1508

What would you like to know?

9. lowland anoa

It could be anything, your experiences or what you really wish that people knew about Aspergers’

10. Jake1508

Ok here goes! Grab the popcorn and charge your phone!

Being born with Aspergers it has opened my world to a lot of unusual things. Most of my friends are terrified of animals and I’m the type of kid to run out of class to catch any animal that I see and they are used to it. Huntsman spiders, For example are commonly the size of a human hand and I still pick them up. I’m not crazy or stupid. It gives me a buzz that nothing else will ever do. It also helps with my depression and anxiety and it can be debilitating when depression comes over me. I shut down and don’t want to speak to anyone, I will walk for hours just to be around nature and away from my own kind. There is a reason I enjoy animals more then people. At least animals give you a warning before they try to attack you.

If I was placed in a room with a 10ft king cobra or my ex, I would take the cobra any day of the week. You learn things from animals that no person can ever do.

If there is one thing I can pass on to other people with Aspergers it’s always try to your best and pass on different techniques and always live your best life, you only have one.

11. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Like not to pick up a 10ft king cobra without proper training :p it's potentially a lesson you won't forget for the rest of your life!

But yes, as I alluded upthread and have explicitly said elsewhere on the forum several times in the past, I am also an Aspie :) and the key thing to remember about people on the autistic spectrum is that if you have met one person on the spectrum, you have met one person on the spectrum. Our experiences all have commonalities, but they are all very different and individual. So in some ways, our autism doesn't make us all that different from other zoochatters, as there are quite a lot of us on the forum - but in other ways, it does indeed make each and every one of us different from one another!

For instance, I have a fairly pronounced stammer which manifests as random verbal blocks where I can't get words out, rather than repetition of words/syllables. My main coping mechanism is to talk ten-to-the-dozen once I get going, in order to stay ahead of the impending block!

12. Jake1508

@TeaLovingDave we are all people, know matter the skin colour or difficulties we have in life. It’s especially funny when I’m behind a large group of people in school and my social anxiety hits, I call out loudly “Check out the size of that huntsman Spider” and they freak the hell out “WHERE IS IT l!!!” And I reply with “on the pole back there” no more people in the way. It’s fool proof!!:cool:

Last edited: 1 Nov 2020
  13. TeaLovingDave

Except for Brum :p he's the anthropomorphic personification of the concept of beer.

14. Jake1508

Quite true! He should change his PP to a can of beer!

Brum likes this.
  15. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Cheeky sod! I'm a man of depth and substance. And terrible jokes... :p

On the subject of being on the spectrum I personally suffer from Dyspraxia, and therefore have certain autistic traits. I've discussed getting tested properly with my doctor in the recent(ish) past but due to a long waiting list and the fact it doesn't affect most of my day to day life then I've give up on getting an actual diagnosis for the time being.

16. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Well as you are probably aware, the first one is something I feel quite differently about but anyway enough said on that.

I'm not really obsessed over naturalistic enclosures either, I mean as long as it suits the animals needs and allows them to display natural behaviours and to breed etc then I don't see any major issue there.

Yes, the wildlife trade is complicated I agree and there are pro's and cons to it but you have to understand that there are so many negatives that often people become quite damning on the issue without recognising the positives.

17. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Not autistic or aspergic or anything like that but I know there are many people within the field of biology / science that are on that spectrum and thats ok. Cognitive diversity within any field is brilliant and should be encouraged.

I myself am dyslexic so I suppose that would be something that is worth mentioning and that people often find suprising. The irony is that I'm a high functioning dyslexic and have developed some strong coping strategies so I don't have an issue with reading and am in fact an avid reader of pretty much everything and "well read".

My weakness comes down to some dyscaculia with mathematics / numbers ( and consequently some minor difficulties with time management) which is definitely an issue in some areas of life and writing things by hand which is really very difficult for me as my handwriting is incredibly bad.

Some other issues are when I am very stressed the condition comes on with a vengance for example with high background noise levels which stress me out, sometimes stuttering or forgetting words under stress, printed text suddenly looking like Egyptian hieroglyphs or moving around like a fish in an aquarium when stressed etc.

Thankfully, we live in the 21st century now though and using a computer certainly helps with writing a lot and there are all sorts of other coping strategies that I practice which help.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2020
  18. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I’m so glad you said that TLD, as in my experience Asperger’s/High Functioning Autism people are as different from each other as Neurotypical people are from each other. I’m somewhere on the spectrum, although never formally diagnosed.
    What makes me different from many other Zoochatters?
    *Older than many, and fairly set in my ways/opinionated
    *Possibly keep more birds than most

evilmonkey239, Jake1508, MRJ and 5 others like this.
  19. FelipeDBKO

FelipeDBKO Well-Known Member

Probably the fact that I actually don't go to zoos or anything wildlife-related very often, usually once a year as a birthday present, or twice if my family visits a place where it's a major attraction and my parents decide to pass by.

Birdsage and JT like this.
  20. TeaLovingDave

This one sounds like quite a few of us :p

JT and Onychorhynchus coronatus like this.