Join our zoo community

What makes you want to visit that zoo?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by animalszoos, 9 Mar 2017.

1. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

Following humane conditions, with a close conservation importance just behind it, the reason a certain zoo/aquarium/other exotic holding would attract me would be if they hold something just a little different than other locations (I love the ABCs but to me a place would draw me to more if they had Chimps instead of Gorillas which I see more frequently). Also location helps; if I'm in a given city and there's a zoo that takes good care of their animals, I'll check it out even if there isn't anything stand out rare. There is a zoo 20 minutes from me that aside from a few species (namely coyotes which I rarely see exhibited and some lemurs) it is mostly lions/tigers/baboons etc whereas a zoo that is an hour and forty minutes (Safari Niagara) has more exotics but location is more of a factor.

2. junglejim

junglejim Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Cool weather, when the crowds leave. In cool weather temperature can't beat it. Last April 2017 I was able to check out the Denver Zoo, it's been awhile since I've been there. Wasn't impressed with new tiger exhibit, but I was able to catch the Okapi's galloping around their enclosure. They weren't just skipping about they were running! If one listened you could clearing hear their hoofs. IT WAS TOTALLY AWESOME!!! It got better when I stopped by the Malayan Tapir. He was walking around the enclosure, then eventually he picked up his large food dish with his mouth and carried it to the door where he comes into the exhibit. Upon further observing him move about the enclosure he started to vocalize. Shortly there after he would start running around the exhibit. In the course of his travels around the enclosure he would jump into the air! It was SPECTACULAR!! Next to the tapir was a large indian rhino exhibt. At the same time this rhino would start galloping around their enclosure too! It was totally unbelievable. Watching this enormous rhino running around their enclosure several times. My heart was in heaven. One of my best zoo visits! Several years ago I was walking through Forest Park St. Louis heading to the zoo, and it's raining. It starts really mid-western RAINING! Like coming down in buckets, which thunder. As I reach the zoo, I immediately head to the reptile building. In short order of time I realize I'm the only soul in the building, I'm sure there were staff behind the scenes. Anyway I discover many of the snakes are moving about their enclosures! How many times we go to the zoo and the snakes are just so to still, not this time! Many of the snakes were as active as possible hungry maybe. In course of time when a keeper came around he mentioned the atmosphere events outside were influencing the active of the reptiles in the building. IT WAS SO AWESOME!!! The king cobra readily roaming throughout it's entire enclosure.
    When crowds go home...this is usually toward the late afternoon going toward closing hours. The zebras, and wild horse come out closer to feeding on the grasses, the big cats start showing signs they are very much alive. It's sweet!
    Just the other day was at the Seattle Zoo, and was able to watch the Emerald Tree Boa move through it's large exhibit. How many times we see them o so still. This one was stretched out so long. The Cock-of-the-rocks were perching close to being readily photographed, and toward the closing time were starting to vocalize. That sound was so COOL!

3. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

I do love the early mornings and the late evenings to fulfill all of my crepuscular species cravings!

4. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

For me it's to improve my knowledge of animals, and photography skills.
    I do a lot of VIP days and keeper for the day or interacting days and that.

I love big cats, and starting to get a love for primates.

I like to go to collections I've not been to before, or to see animals I've not seen before.

But mainly for me, I go for the talks and to take as many photos as possible.

5. RetiredToTheZoo

RetiredToTheZoo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Now days, I go to the Memphis Zoo, mainly to work on improving my photography skills. It is one of the few places that offers almost every photographic situation you would encounter (except maybe studio photography). I find I can work on creativity, wildlife, street/people (especially children), architecture, action, landscape, challenging exposures, and a whole host of other styles and techniques all in one place and at my own pace. It's also a great place to try out and experiment with new equipment. Additionally, I find a lot of really good photographers there who are more than willing to engage in conversation and exchange ideas and tips with me.

Last edited: 17 Jan 2018
  6. wolffan21

wolffan21 New Member

For me it depends on what species they have and the conditions in which the animals live in (e.g. if it looks natural and if they have enough space).

7. BobTheAxolotl

BobTheAxolotl New Member

I believe the species the zoo owns and the enclosure looks are key factors on whether or not I visit a zoo. Also, access by public transport is a key factor.

8. JigerofLemuria

JigerofLemuria Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My main drive now is to see and photograph animal species I have never seen before, or at least in the last 10 years, and of course those that house my favorite animals, and whose conditions are acceptable.