Join our zoo community

What mammal can go well with Southern Tamandua?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Jena, 16 Mar 2018.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Hey so I am starting to work on my ideas for the South American Rainforest part of the zoo, and need help with this, what mammal do you guys believe can go well with Southern Tamandua?

I heard squirrel monkeys do, and was going to put them with them, but then I found out that capybaras also go well with squirrel monkeys and so I decide to put them with those guys. But now I can't figure out what should go with Southern Tamandua? Because I feel like that type of anteater needs another type of mammal in it's exhibit. The type of mammal I am looking for, is a mammal native to South American Rainforest.
    Bonus: If you think of tropical rainforest south american birds to go with them too that would also be great! Thanks!

2. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member

How about a callitrichid or a three banded armadillo?

Jena likes this.
  3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I think Callitrichid sounds good! (i had to look it up cause I didn't realize that means tamarins and marmosets. Would Emperor Tamarin be a good match with these guys then? Considering I also have the Emperor Tamarin alone in a exhibit as well. And feel like these guys might be better to be with the anteater then the armadillo considering tamerins are tree-dwelling creatures. Although mabye I can put both those guys in the exhibit with the Southern Tamaudua?

4. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member

The armadillo might be there for the exhibit value rather than animal interractions

5. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

oh okay! So then what about the Emperor Tamarin with the Southern Tamuadua? Will that species of primate work with these guys?

6. ChampsosaurusKing

ChampsosaurusKing Member

I’ve seen white-faced saki being exhibited with them (the tamandua was not on exhibit, but I assume they are usually exhibited together rather then being a rotation exhibit)

7. PaleoMatt

PaleoMatt Well-Known Member

I know marmosets can be exhibited with them as they were at Berlin Tierpark.

8. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member

Check out the Clore rainforest exhibit in London. Tamandua, sloths, callitrichids, birds, titi monkeys and (previously) armadillos in a walk-through exhibit.

9. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! So now the exhibit would have Southern Tamandua as well as Emperor Tamarin, Common Marmoset and three-banded armadillo in this big enclosure idea for south american animals. So will this combination be good for this exhibit? Should I now add any south American birds to this idea?