Join our zoo community

What pets/animals do you currently have?

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by tschandler71, 9 Jan 2013.

1. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

December is near! I will soon be getting all the legal documents needed to establish my business. (I'll post my logo soon, I think it looks really good!) Once the business side of the company is established, I'm hoping to get some more animals!

Zoofan15 and Jungle Man like this.
  2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If you had a permanent public site, even a small one, we could call it a zoo. :p

EsserWarrior likes this.
  3. EsserWarrior

Maybe someday! I'm not interested in having a facility that's open to the public.

4. Jake1508

Jake1508 Well-Known Member

2 dogs
    1 kitten
    1 BD
    1 Budgie
    3 Goldfish
    2 Spiny Stick Insects

5. PAKMan

PAKMan Well-Known Member

One dog; a chow-chow mix (though she looks more like a border collie with pointy ears than a chow-chow).

6. EsserWarrior

I'm currently working on getting business insurance and acquiring the 501c(3) non-profit, so hopefully, I'll be able to have all my legal documents in order and will be able to get tax-deductible donations!

For animal-related news, my wild-caught Eastern American Toad, Bufo, passed away. Due to her being wild-caught, I can't be sure how old she was. (I had her for two years, so she was at least two years old.)

Her body was donated to my cousin's landlord, as she does animal dissections at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville. I'm glad that Bufo's body can be used to help understand toad anatomy better.

I didn't have a necropsy or anything performed on Bufo, and they told me anything seemed weird with her body at the University, so the cause of her death will remain a mystery.

--

On another note - after over six months of no new animal acquisitions, I was called about a rehome situation and couldn't pass up the opportunity.

A three-year-old Mali Uromastyx needed a new home, as the previous owner was getting married and wanted to give his fiance's son the room where some of his reptiles were being housed.

I drove to their home, where I was given a tour of their reptile collection. All of the enclosures were high-quality Exo-Terra and Vision enclosures, with lots of them being beautiful bioactive set-ups. He had some species that I had never seen in person before, like Pancake Tortoises and Carpet Pythons, and I was glad to see that the Uromastyx was being kept in such great conditions before coming into my care.

If anyone is curious about my animals, my Instagram is @ryanswildlifewonders. I post lots of updates on there, so you'll be able to hear way more from me on there than on here. I'll also be making a website, Facebook page, and a YouTube channel soon.

(I'm also working on the chinchilla enclosure! I'm just waiting for the rest of the ledges and the wheel to arrive!)

birdsandbats and ZooBinh like this.
  7. Youssarian

Youssarian Well-Known Member

Currently I only have 1 cat (Tuesday) and 2 ferrets (Häagen and Dazs).
    I have a tank set up for land hermit crabs, but haven't found any to stock it with! (I want to acquire them from a rehoming situation rather than purchasing from a pet store)
    One of my New Year's resolutions this year was to set up a leopard gecko tank, so I'll be working on that too.
    After a leopard gecko, I think my next endeavor will be a speckled kingsnake. Oh, and I always want more cats lol but mine is a bit of a meanie so not sure on that.

EsserWarrior likes this.
  8. EsserWarrior

If you have any questions on how to properly care for either of those species, feel free to send me a PM.

9. BerdNerd

BerdNerd Well-Known Member

I currently have a nine-year old dog named Sam. He is a Maltipoo, which is a mix between a Maltese and Poodle. He looks super cute but is really unfriendly. He doesn’t trust anybody other than me and my family, but warms up to visitors once he gets to know them.

When I was a little kid, I also had a goldfish named Goldie that I bought at Walmart as a baby. He was a great fish, and we would sometimes take him on road trips, and he’s been to a lot of places such as San Diego and Las Vegas. He lived a short 1-2 year life, but he’s in a better place now.

10. Sausagefingers

Sausagefingers Well-Known Member

My collection currently consists of

8 golden mantella
    6 blue legged mantella
    6 blue poison dart frog
    7 emperor scorpion

I had 3 male common marmosets but they passed away a couple years ago, and unless biaza wanna let me breed something I'm not going back into exotic mammals. They had 1/4 of an acre aviary style and went handled before anyone asks!

11. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've been in the hobby a long time, but that's the first time I've ever heard of taking one's fish on roadtrips...

12. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

Red-eared sliders, waiting to be euthanized for their skeletons.

13. Sheather

Sheather Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What the ----???

14. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

upload_2021-1-27_18-44-48.png

15. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's a bit of a unorthodox reason to keep a pet.................

I reckon it would be much easier to just buy a skeletal.....

16. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

This species is invasive in southern Russia. And my specimens were originally destined to be released into city pond where they would die next winter.
    Also my local zoo fed RES to jaguars in the past.

Last edited: 27 Jan 2021
  17. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It might be invasive, but it’s still a beautiful and interesting animal, deserving of better treatment. Would you do that to a dog?

MarkinTex and EsserWarrior like this.
  18. EsserWarrior

I recently added a female chinchilla to my ambassador team. Onyx is a three-year-old female that came to me from a local breeder after she was phased out of their program. She wasn't handled at all, so it will take some time until I'm able to take her out to programs. She was also housed in a single-level enclosure, so it took her a few days to gain the confidence to explore the ledges and upper levels in her enclosure.

Onyx was also housed alone, besides when she had her offspring around, so I'm hoping to eventually acquire a second female to introduce her to.

I'll also be making more progress on acquiring my non-profit status. I also recently finished making a website, so I'll add a link to this topic once I get all of the legal documents finished.

evilmonkey239 and Zoofan15 like this.
  19. evilmonkey239

evilmonkey239 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Currently, I only have two Guinea pig sows. I believe they are of the “American” breed.

In the past, I have kept 6 hamsters. One was a Syrian hamster, another I’m certain was a purebred Campbell’s dwarf, and the other four were either Campbell’s or winter white, or quite possibly hybrids of the two species. Previously I’ve also had smaller freshwater fish like danios and tetras artificially bred to come in a variety of designer colors, and a “glofish orange shark” that was actually a minnow.

EsserWarrior likes this.
  20. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

I going to start a 25-litre aquarium. Its inhabitant will be a male Betta.