Join our zoo community

What pets/animals do you currently have?

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by tschandler71, 9 Jan 2013.

1. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

Update: The snail ate, he hasn’t even been in the tank for 40 minutes and he ate!!! I saw him engulf a bladder snail, and after a little bit, he crawled off, leaving an empty shell. This like a documentary, but having a firsthand experience!

splendens and Kakapo like this.
  2. splendens

splendens Well-Known Member

I have ten opae ula shrimp in a 2.5 gallon tank and one is berried.

Attached Files:

Bengal Tiger and DaLilFishie like this.
  3. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

A large amount of slugs, snails, millipedes, & isopods are being kept in some bins, which I have turned into terrariums.

splendens likes this.
  4. felis silvestris

felis silvestris Well-Known Member

I wish I had as many pets as a lot of people on here! This is mine

1 cat called mitzy (she dribbles when she’s happy because she got her jabs later than she should have)

I used to have:

Tabby cat Maisie (had her for about 2 weeks in 2014 because she peed all over the place)

Pedigree cat Elmo (My parents and then me had him between 2000 and 2012)

I tried to have pet ants but all tried to fight each other so I got rid of them.

5. troutaddict

troutaddict Member

I have a male paradise gourami (Stinky)
    2 African Dwarf frogs (Poppy and Penelope)
    A school of pygmy corydoras
    Working on my own strain of endler's livebearers
    a butt ton of neocaridina, mostly red and blue and a few cool looking brown ones
    a big amano shrimp
    and I am currently boarding a trio of redtail splitfins for my buddy
    recently my bamboo shrimp passed away (R.I.P. Flora)
    2 german blue rams
    school of ember tetras
    a couple mystery snails
    just bought a 40gal tank for dart frogs! researching easily breedable species

6. AndyJ08

AndyJ08 Well-Known Member

3 dogs- 15 yr old male beagle, 8 year old female dachshund, and 1 year old female springer spaniel- yorkie mix
    1 female tabby cat
    3 mixed-breed rescue chickens
    6 zebra danios
    4 endler’s guppies
    2 variatus platies
    1 female swordtail
    1 mystery snail
    20-50 Malaysian trumpet snails

Bengal Tiger likes this.
  7. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Since the last time I posted here, my collection has not changed at all. However, I have changed the name of my business from "Ryan's Wildlife Wonders" to Wildlife Wonders Wisconsin. Since I'm in college, the business is still sitting in the "all of the paperwork and other things are done, I just need to wait until college is over" phase.

Wildlife Wonders Wisconsin Collection (7/13/2022)
    • Domestic Rabbit (1.0; "Scruffles")
    • African Pygmy Hedgehog (1.0; "Horton")
    • Chinchilla (0.1; "Onyx)
    • Northern Blue-Tongued Skink (0.0.1; "Woody")
    • Mali Uromastyx (0.1; "Eugene")
    • Gargoyle Gecko (1.0; "Tiberius")
    • Leopard Gecko (0.1; "Jasper")
    • Sarasin's Giant Gecko (1.0; "Cylus)
    • Axolotl (1.0; "Gaia")
    • Cane Toad (0.1; "Peaches")
    • Vinegaroon (0.0.1; "Beth")
    • Madagascar Hissing Cockroach (Colony; "Beef" / "Patty")
    The website has been revamped, I have designed a YouTube channel, I have used Canva to revamp the Instagram page, I have been finishing up documents of all kinds, and I have been doing free programs in the community! Watching Wildlife Wonders Wisconsin become a reality makes me very emotional, and I am so glad that I have been given this opportunity.

-

@Sheather Please teach me how to make my enclosures look that good! I recently bought a ton of stuff to make my enclosures look naturalistic/turn them bioactive. (I just did my leopard gecko's today.) (We're also from the same-ish region, so if you'd ever like to add me on any other social media and collab on some animal projects, please let me know!)

8. splendens

splendens Well-Known Member

Now I have
    5 male guppies one females,
    One green tiger barb
    About 110 opae ula shrimp,
    Several queen tetramorium immigrans,
    2 unidentified freshwater shrimp,
    numerous bladder or pond snails.

9. Urs

Urs Member

Thought I'd share! I only have a dog right now, a rhodesian ridgeback called Beny (I am not the most creative person when it comes to naming pets xD). He is 12,5 years old and unfortunately terminally ill. We are just taking it a day at a time and making sure he is enjoying each as much as possible.

[​IMG]

10. bubblywums

bubblywums Member

3 yellow ackies
    2 kimberely monitors
    2 green keel-bellied lizards
    3 false chameleons
    2 cats
    1 corgi :)

groundskeeper24 and Bengal Tiger like this.
  11. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My collection has changed a bit since I posted a few years ago. I still have a big male red tegu. I sold my big cape white throat monitor last summer and somehow got a baby savannnah monitor that I never really asked for, which is now an adult, living in the old white throat enclosure. The last animal I ever wanted was a savannah monitor, but I can't bear to get rid of her due to the fact that they are so poorly cared for in most captive situations. I haven't found anyone that will give her the quality of life that she has with me, and I just can't do that to an animal in good conscience.

I have a Burmese star tortoise currently in a grow-up humidity chamber, and in an outdoor enclosure for a few hours a day when the sun is out during warm months.

I have made the questionable decision to get a few snakes, which is a slippery slope. I have a Kalatoa super dwarf locality female reticulated python that's about 6 months old. I always had a healthy fear of retics for obvious reasons, but to be honest she's about the most enjoyable animal I've ever kept. She's highly active and inquisitive and will use absolutely anything she's given in terms of habitat enrichment. I maintain all of my animals daily, and she's the only one that comes straight to me immediately every time I open her enclosure. She wants to either eat or explore every time. She shows zero fear of anything. This is something to watch as she grows, and I try to hook train her to know the difference between feeding interactions and regular maintenance. Kalatoas stay much smaller than the monster mainland retics, maxing out at 6-8 feet (males) or 10-12 feet (females) as opposed to the common sizes of 16-18 feet in mainland animals. My favorite animal right now.

I also have 3 ball pythons which my son maintains. Nothing too crazy, just some single trait animals and a BEL female. Pleasant, passive snakes.

Lastly, and perhaps the most interesting, is an emerald tree boa. I have a captive bred female that's about 14 months old. I was intimidated by this species at first due to their reputation for being difficult captives, I have to say, though, that if the conditions are correct with humidity and temps, they seem quite easy to keep. I do not ever handle this animal. I see no reason to. I have pet snakes and she's not one of them. She's a display animal (eventually). I also took the advice of the experienced keepers I followed and put her in a relatively small tub with perches and pothos vines and no visual access from the outside. She's basically a display animal that nobody ever sees, lol. I think it helps her feel secure. These snakes have a reputation for regurgitating meals and dying as a result (eventually). They also are known to have problems defecating and eventually get backed up and die. Mine has eaten 4 big meals in two months, and passed them perfectly no problem. I think buying an established animal and leaving it alone with parameters dialed in makes a big difference. Wild caught emeralds take a long time to get on track, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, no matter how tempting the beautiful ones you see for sale may seem.

Finally, I have 2 monkey-tailed skinks. They are kept in a 4x3x6 vertical enclosure with cork rounds everywhere. Fascinating animals, and relatively easy to keep if needs are met. Always loved this species, and enjoying watching them greatly. They pack a serious bite, though.

12. Cowrie

Cowrie Member

Ranging the house:
    • 2 housecats (one of which is technically my mom's)

In a 40-gallon breeder aquarium:
    • 3 peacock spiny eels
    • 12 espei rasboras
    • 11 drape fin barbs (including 3 adult males and at least 1 subadult male; the remaining 7 all appear to be female)
    • 3 horned nerite snails
    • About 10 ghost shrimp (I think they may have bred, so it may be more than that)

In a 10-gallon aquarium:
    • An unknown but large number of ramshorn snails
    • 2 baby drape fin barbs from a surprise spawning
    I also have an empty 20-gallon high aquarium that I'm keeping cycled for use as a quarantine/hospital tank. (There's additional species I plan on adding to both of the other two tanks, but as the thread is about the pets we currently have, I won't list those. I will however say that I'm planning on transferring the nerites to to 10-gallon tank soon.)

Bengal Tiger likes this.
  13. Tyrannosaurus-PicoPico

Tyrannosaurus-PicoPico Well-Known Member

I don't have much, but here are mine.

Dog - Mortimer Memphis ( hes a mutt but we love him. ). 5 years old.

Cats - Mabel Katzenwagen, estimated to be around 5 years old, and her original middle name was Grace but I changed it because let's be honest here. Grace is kind of a dumb name for any living thing. Then theres August Alfred, mainly just called Gus or Gusman. I don't know about you people, but August Alfred sounds like a rich posh man.

Hens: Reece, Barley, Autumn, Summer, Dove, Tilly, Charmy, Juniper, and soon there will be 6 more hens added to the flock, however I only have names for 2 of them as I'm naming 3 of them. Those being Esther Winchester and Hilda Berg. I'm considering about naming the 3rd one after a Sonic character, but I'm not sure what would go well for a chicken. In the past I've had a rooster named Shadow, another named Rose ( after Amy Rose ), and another rooster named Espio. However none of these are the only chickens I've owned.

birdsandbats likes this.
  14. AndyJ08

AndyJ08 Well-Known Member

I can tell you’re a Cuphead fan.:)

15. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

As of 18/09/2022:
    1.0 lionhead x netherland dwarf Rabbit
    1.1 Guinea pigs
    1.0 Chinchilla
    0.2 Degus
    0.1 African Pygmy hedgehog
    0.1 Chinese hamster
    1.0 Roborovski’s dwarf hamster
    1.0 Syrian hamster
    1.0 Russian dwarf hamster
    1.0 Winter white dwarf hamster
    1.0 Horsefields tortoise
    1.0 Crested gecko
    0.0.3 Harvest mice

Sheather and EsserWarrior like this.
  16. Mlawlor

Mlawlor Member

I currently have the following

4 Fat-Tailed Dunnarts
    3 Green Tree Frogs
    2 Plain Rats
    1 Central Bearded Dragon
    1 Woma Python

WhistlingKite24 and DaLilFishie like this.
  17. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Member 10+ year member

Ok, I am human slave to and share what used to be my house (it’s theirs now lol) with:
    Dogs x3 all rescues of varying sizes,
    Louis, Mia and Eliza
    Cats x2 Frosty is a tabby British blue (seriously) and Peach is my daughters Sphynx cat who is here temporarily (fascinating pink panther)
    Raccoon x1 Villanelle, rescued illegal pet now living a fit and active life and is friends with Frosty cat.
    Horses x3 Briar and Bella, ex racehorses, Felipe - Bella’s yearling son who was sired via AI by an Arab stallion during lockdown
    Shetland ponies x4 Mai, mother of Pixel and Juno, along with Toffee, an ex companion pony to nervous event horses.
    Corn snake x1 Reeta, 5 foot rescue
    Invertebrarium dept (aka the conservatory) houses my partner’s ever increasing collection of scorpions, spiders, roaches, giant millipedes, a giant centipede, amongst others.

birdsandbats, Neil chace and Sheather like this.
  18. adamntitch

adamntitch Well-Known Member 15+ year member

3 cats
    Colonys of dubia and hissing cockroaches
    24 tarantulas
    2 blue crayfish
    Colony of isopods
    1 preying mantis
    7 giant African land snails
    5 golden apple snails
    10 fruit grubs
    2 rainbow crabs
    4 ramshorn snails

Bengal Tiger likes this.
  19. Mai Thai

Mai Thai Well-Known Member

In my 200 Gallon Saltwater Tank (Not Including Coral or Anemones)
    0.0.4 Firefish Goby
    0.0.2 Flame Hawkfish
    1.1 Ocellaris Clownfish
    0.0.1 Blue Hippo Tang
    0.0.1 Yellow Tang
    0.0.1 Foxface Rabbitfish
    0.0.1 Marine Betta
    0.0.1 Long-Nosed Hawkfish
    0.0.5 Red Lipped Blenny
    0.0.2 Banded Coral Shrimp
    0.0.1 Racoon Butterfly
    0.0.1 Redfin Fairy Wrasse