Join our zoo community

What pets/animals do you currently have?

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by tschandler71, 9 Jan 2013.

1. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Congrats to the new pet BUT: please, please, please do not keep a Testudo graeca indoors over a longer period of time. It needs to be kept outdoors, fed the aforementioned (and more) variety of greens and have access to adequate UV light and temperatures. If you cannot provide this at the moment, then please, for the sake of the animal, give him to someone who can provide these conditions. I know very well it's never easy to give away a beloved animal, but I have witnessed (and often euthanized) so many, many tortoises suffer horribly due to being kept inadequately, even more so when kept indoors.
    There are very few tortoise species that can, space and equipment permitted, be kept indoors in (very) roomy indoor terraria. But Testudo graeca, hermanni, marginatus etc. benefit hugely from being kept properly outdoors. And from a hygienic pov, having a tortoise run around freely in the flat isn't recommendable, either.

Thank you for your understanding.

2. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Seeing that tortoises need to be kept outside, does that mean that they aren't recommended for those living in colder climates? I've had interest in Elongated Tortoise and other species for a while now, and I live in Ohio, where it gets quite cold and snowy in the winter and doesn't warm up until late spring, but our temperatures drop around October as well.

Side question : What about zoos and aquariua that keep small tortoise species in indoor exhibits? Is it possible because they are able to keep them with the required UV light needs, as well as proper heating care?

3. Batto

@ZooBinh : in moderate to colder climates, Testudo sp. are kept outdoors once temperatures are constantly warm enough and brought in starting September/October for hibernation. A heated weatherproofed retreat should be provided outdoors. As a tropical species, Elongated tortoises should be kept indoors in a large enclosure during the cold seasons and outdoors (in a fenced in enclosure) when it's warm.

Small tortoise species like Testudo kleinmanni, Pyxis etc. are indeed kept in indoor terraria/enclosures in some zoos. The terraria should be very large; artificial UV light is usually provided. Hardcore tortoise fans often bash this husbandry for being inadequate; some private breeders devote whole rooms and cellars to their little tortoises.
    In general, the husbandry of tortoises in many zoos often lacks behind in comparison to what dedicated private owners and breeders offer, with exceptions like the giant tortoise exhibits at the zoos of Prague or Munich.

qthemusic, ZooBinh and Cassidy Casuar like this.
  4. Batto

Edit: lags behind.

5. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I do volunteer programs at the local library and a few of the surrounding schools. When I turn eighteen I wanna get the official permits that would allow me to accept payment for them, though.

birdsandbats likes this.
  6. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Have PM'd you :)

Batto likes this.
  7. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@Brum you could give him to @Leopardus to look after ;). You'd then still be able to visit Fred on a regular basis :).

Leopardus likes this.
  8. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Last week I acquired two juvenile Australian frilled lizards. Aussies are very hard to come by in the US compared to the New Guinea variety, so I jumped at the chance to get a couple. There's apparently been a small influx of them imported from Germany in the last year or so.

I recently sent my Cuban iguana to a breeder in Florida, so I have plenty of room and a very large enclosure to house them in once they are a bit larger. I hope to get another female if the two I have turn out to be a true pair.

9. ZooBinh

I have currently (don't know if I've already said it):

2x Betta
    1x White Cloud Mountain Minnow (longfin, though I'm phasing them out)
    2x Peacock Gudgeon

x??? Pest snails that I need to get rid of

Here's one of my bettas Armani:
    DSCN5044.JPG

10. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Get a Clown Loach and you'll never have to worry about snails again!

11. Panthera9

Panthera9 Well-Known Member

I currently have at home a cat and 4 guppies

Cassidy Casuar likes this.
  12. ZooBinh

When you have a divided 5g tank....yea no ;)

I have an assassin snail now :)

13. Brum

I now own a rabbit as well (birthday present for my daughter). Really tempted to race him against the tortoise to see who wins... :p

ZooBinh likes this.
  14. ZooBinh

You're really on a collection spree!! :p

I also uh, now I have a new pet that's a LOT of work. I don't even know if I can keep it or not, so I'm keeping details under wraps until then :)

15. Brum

Well I've already lost one dog to old age this year, and my remaining dog is pushing 18 whilst my cat is closer to 20 than 19 so I reckon my "collection" will probably diminish rather than grow in the future.

ZooBinh likes this.
  16. ZooBinh

Wow! 18! Props to you and your dog!

Brum likes this.
  17. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

That reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Homer bought a bowling ball for Marge's present...

18. Brum

The one that passed away was also nearly 18, and it was a Bichon, which aren't known for their longevity. Animals lives forever in my house. :p
    I'm saying nothing... :D

ZooBinh likes this.
  19. ZooBinh

The only animals I wish didn't live forever in my house are the damn snails :p . But hopefully with the new Assassin Snail, which fittingly is named "Creed".

20. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Just saying, you could have easily bought "your daughter" a Zorilla.

ZooBinh likes this.