Join our zoo community

What species are not allowed to be bred in zoos inthe UK and why?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by garyjp, 7 Nov 2020.

1. garyjp

garyjp Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Also does this include private breeders

2. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe Coatis are not allowed to breed because (not entirely sure) and are only kept in non breeding groups

3. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

4. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Overpopulation within zoos or potential as an invasive species ?

5. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

Most likely a mix of both. They aren't well known (sadly) or endangered so there is no need to have large populations. And they directly compete with normal raccoons which could cause many problems. They are also descended from raccoons so them being able to survive in colder environments isn't entirely impossible.

6. Onychorhynchus coronatus

But there aren't any racoons native to the UK.

I know that coatis have escaped from captivity in the UK before and spent long periods in the wild before being caught so perhaps this could be why ?

7. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

Yes but there are still other animals that they could affect. Like raccoons, they can endure quite a bit so escape could worry people

8. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Perhaps native small mammals and birds and concerns of people being injured when bitten.

As I remember it the North American raccoon escaped from captivity and became invasive in several areas of Central and Eastern Europe.

Maybe the coati has been grouped with its distant relative as being a potential invasive ?

Westcoastperson likes this.
  9. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

They are specifically listed as an invasive/potentially invasive species in the EU. The UK contributed to the list of problematic invasive species and worked on the legislation with the other member states when it was still an EU member. I believe coatis are specifically a problem in Mallorca and are also a threat in France and Germany.

10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

However, the main reason it was on the list from the very beginning whilst several other invasive or potentially-invasive species were not, or were only added later, is (from what I have been told through the grapevine at various zoos( because DEFRA specifically pushed for the species to be added due to the now-extinct Cumbrian breeding population which arose from several escapes from South Lakes :p I believe the Mallorcan population was never self-sustaining, and is probably extinct too.

Of course, the thing which makes a mockery of the whole situation is that several of the species on the banned list - including Northern Raccoon, Raccoon Dog and American Mink - have become invasive due to escapes from fur farms and not zoos and private collections, but fur farms have a specific exemption allowing them to continue holding these species...... :rolleyes:

11. Shirokuma

I don't agree that it makes a mockery of the whole situation. The fur farm exemption is definitely problematic but I don't think that makes the whole initiative in any way less valid or important.

12. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

You don't think "ban zoos from keeping/breeding species X because it's invasive in parts of Europe, but allow fur farms to continue doing so even though the invasive population originates from them, not zoos" makes a mockery of the situation? :p

And considering the "whole initiative" increasingly seems to be a way of thin-end-of-the-wedge anti-zoo activity (with species such as Crab-eating Racoon and White-nosed Coati which have never been invasive added to the UK list because they are congeneric with species on the wider list, and species such as Eastern Kingsnake which are invasive only to tropical regions such as the Canary Islands on the next phase) I would hesitate to offer blanket endorsements of it as you do!

13. Shirokuma

No

I don't offer blanket endorsements. I can see validity in something whilst noting its flaws.

14. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I still think that if meerkats escaped from Australian zoos, they could cause havoc with the local wildlife. One of the most irritating pieces of information I've heard on a wildlife programme is that red foxes were introduced to Tasmania in 2000. That may have been good news for the hunting fraternity, but not for native wildlife

15. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This appears to have been a myth. Tasmanian authorities spent large sums and much time on an eradication programme but seemingly the foxes were not present in the first place.

16. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've heard two versions of this story. One said that foxes were introduced. Another says there are no introduced foxes in Tasmania. I hope the latter is true.

17. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I must agree that this law makes European Union look rather bad. A good idea (banning some invasive species) turned into a mockery by a wrong list of species: not including very invasive species due to lobbyists (American mink), including not invasive species (for example subtropical animals in Northern Europe or the hapless American bison), and even including species which are threatened (Chinese muntjac).

However, zoos in the UK can probably ignore it because Great Britain leaves the EU.

18. Shirokuma

19. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Another thing I feel makes a mockery of the whole invasive species act is that whilst zoos - licensed institutions that are generally run in a professional capacity and are required to account for their animals and keep them in secure enclosures aren’t allowed to keep these species, but any Tom, Dick or Harry can let their domestic cat out to run wild and cause havoc to the ecosystems. I would say that in this country cats are one of the most damaging invasive species going, yet no hope of that changing

PossumRoach, bongorob, Pootle and 2 others like this.
  20. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Why am I not suprised that coatis ended up escaping from South Lakes and becoming invasive ...:rolleyes:

bongorob likes this.