Join our zoo community

What species are not allowed to be bred in zoos inthe UK and why?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by garyjp, 7 Nov 2020.

1. Sausagefingers

Sausagefingers Well-Known Member

Hopefully no new females for noahs! Nice hybrid male group maybe. Didn't realise Dudley was breeding hybrids still.

2. GaryA

GaryA Well-Known Member

As an addendum and to keep the thread on track, I think that the racoon, muntjac and coati should be removed from the UK list but maybe I'm being mammal-ist!
    I'm all for making the late night run to the dustbin a bit more interesting. Imagine if we did get wolves back in the UK?!
    Seriously, I wonder if we could set up a closely monitored population of wild cats in The New Forest, for example. Anything to try and keep this very special beast viable.

3. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If you mean Scottish Wild Cat I fear it would be a disaster - imagine trying to stop hybridisation with feral cats! There is, in my view, only one way to save the SWC (if it even still exists) and that's to licence and neuter every domestic cat north of the Central Belt!

Jennings likes this.
  4. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don’t even think there should be amendments. Invasive species bans are steaming garbage as long as the ownership of dogs and cats are still permitted. Therefore I believe they should be abolished.

Jennings likes this.
  5. GaryA

GaryA Well-Known Member

Well I'm talking more about an enclosure covering a large acreage so more a protected reserve to prevent breeding out.
    I agree re cats as mine were house cats for their own safety and security as well as not affecting wildlife/neighbours etc.
    Fortunately dogs roaming free seems to be a thing of the past in the UK.

6. Jennings

Jennings Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I bow to your superior wisdom! Many thanks Andrew.

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Nov 2020
  7. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just an update to this - the most recent overview of EAZA Ex-Situ Programmes from August 2021 now lists an EEP for the Reeve's muntjac, managed by Jihlava in the Czech Republic.

Maguari and PossumRoach like this.