Join our zoo community

What species mixes well with EITHER the Patas Monkey or the Guniea Baboon?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Jena, 26 Sep 2018.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Hey y'all so I am having another little problem figuring out what mammals mix well with these two species of primates. I know combinations exist out there. But not sure what mammals would go well together with these animals. Like what mammals do you all suggest that would work well with the Patas Monkey and what mammals would you suggest for the Guinea Baboon. Mammals only please. Thank you all.

2. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member

I think rock hyrax could be compatible with pastas monkeys

3. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member

most large hoofstock for baboons
    most hoofstock with patas monkeys, probably not tiny fellers like dik dik
    elephants
    rhinos
    hippo
    possibly aardvark
    sulcatas (decent sized)- well iffen they were mammals haha

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Okay thanks! Here are the other African Mammals I currently have on my list that I am thinking on what mixed exhibit they could go in:

1. Plains Zebra, Giraffe

2. Southern White Rhino

3. Warthog

4. Hippo

5. Common Eland

6. Nyala

7. Sable Antelope

8. Bontebok

9. Gemsbok

10. Impala

11. Gerenuk

12. Thomson’s Gazelle
    So you say most hoof stock so then my next question is out of the ones I already have on my list which do you think should go with the patas monkey and/or the Guinea Baboon?

5. Daktari JG

probably all of them with both species but the bontebok impalas gerenuks and tommies cautious when they have calves

6. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

oh awesome! Okay then won't do bontebok impalas gerenuks and thomson's gazzelle then. Now do Patas Monkeys get along with Guinea Baboons or have them in seperate exhibits?

7. Daktari JG

I don't know that it has been tried, but I wouldn't guess it to be a good idea

8. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member

Interestingly neither Patas Monkey nor Guinea Baboon is listed on AZA's Ungulate TAG mixed species manual... They are absent in the manual, showing them never to have been successfully kept together.

That said, I thought Woodland Park had Patas Monkeys mixed with Giraffe, Plains Zebra, Bontebok, Ostrich, and another species or two when I visited two years ago.

@animalmapping likes this.
  9. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member

Baboons are agressive and I only know of mix with elephants. Perhaps rhinos or hippos might succeed too.

Patas are agressive, too, but should succeed with hoofstock much bigger than themselves. Also Apenheul mixed them with gorillas on a very big island.

10. Joker1706

Joker1706 Well-Known Member

Is the last Patas in Apenheul still alive?

In the past the Patas at Apenheul were mixed with Gorilla, springbok and L´Hoest guenon with only the guenons remaining...

Leipzig tried black rhino + cheetah + patas on the Kiwara Kopje, but I think it wasn´t a success, as the monkeys are separated now.

11. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

wait baboons have been mixed with elephants?!!?! Omg please tell me if you know what zoo does that. That sounds like a cool mix. I be surpise the elephants don't accidently step on the baboons though.

bgeezle513 likes this.
  12. Joker1706

Joker1706 Well-Known Member

I have seen this combination in Beekse Bergen (NL)

13. @animalmapping

@animalmapping Well-Known Member

Baboon mix well with African bush elephants ( I thought it was hamadryas baboons with African bush elephants in beekse bergen safari park) although I should give them a whole pile of rocks they can spend most of the day on or an extra small exhibit they can chill without elephants, I think patas monkeys would be able to mix with elephants as well.
    I know baboons can also mix with big goats like maned goats etc, ( I thought it was hamadryas baboons with maned goatskin amesfoort zoo) but these gots should have an extra exhibit for when they have babies. I see no reason why patas monkeys can’t (I think it’s even easier)

Also know patas monkeys can easily mix with large hoof stock like rhinos.
    (Again it saver to have a looks, pile of rocks, extra exhibit or trees they can sit in)
    I think patas monkeys would also be able to mix with gazelles and antilopes (don’t trust them with zebras)

Yeah they were separated cause of the cheetahs, I think the mix with rhinos only wouldn’t be such a problem

14. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

Crested porcupine, Warthog, Aardvark, Aardwolf, Hyrax, Red buffalo, Ostrich, Pygmy hippo