Join our zoo community

What Species Would You Import To Australia?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by animal_expert01, 14 Jun 2017.

1. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Saw that list but wasn't sure how relevant/up to date it is.

If I read and translated animal_expert1's first post correctly, then he asked for species no matter if they can be imported by law or not and no matter how expensive it would be...;)

@Zoofan15: While following the mainstream taste with animals I have to follow here the mainstream taste in icecream flavours as well, haven't I?;) - So it will be strawberry, vanilla, chocolate - and specially for Australian locals - macadamia nut and vegimite;):)

2. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Knowing zoomaniac as a placid and friendly fellow adult, I'm pretty sure that his original reply was not intended to be aggressive or demeaning. So charging at him like an overpaid hipster chaperon on too much mate tea was a bit excessive, wasn't it? As for kid-glove treatment and white knighting: growing up also includes climbing out of the crib and standing your ground on your own. "Welpenschutz" is an outdated concept anyway...

To be really honest: In its current state, ZC could do better with less fantasy animal listings (by kids, adults and anything else).

And now I want some of that ice cream Zoofan15 mentioned...and I don't give a hoot about the flavour as long as it's for free.

zoogiraffe and zoomaniac like this.
  3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

there is no IRA for peccaries. They cannot be imported.

The list of species "taken to be suitable for live import" does not mean those species can simply be imported "with a licence". You only need to have a quick scan down the list to see the numbers of birds, and mammals like hippos. For a species to be imported it first needs to have an IRA completed, which is a lengthy process - as in several years from start to finish. There are relatively few exotic vertebrate species with IRAs, and peccaries are not amongst them.

4. Chlidonias

they are up to date in terms of the species present and their base origins. They aren't entirely up to date in terms of which zoos have which species, because there are probably a number of changes I'm not aware of.

That is how I interpreted the thread also, but my referral to the lists was simply to let you know which species were still present and their need for new blood.

5. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@Batto why get involved in arguement that has long since ended and you have nothing to do with? And Hix was just stating the truth.

@Chlidonias is there a list of animals that have IRAs? Sorry I said you were wrong I had not heard of the IRA system.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2017
  6. Batto

Maybe I just wanted to follow your grand example? :p
    To paraphrase Marcus Aurelius: what you consider a "truth" might just be a matter of different perspective...^^

7. animal_expert01

Well at the moment I am getting the perspective you're being arrogant and you think your always right.

8. Batto

That's your perspective, kiddo; not mine. ^^

9. Riley

Riley Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here's something I've found, most of these seem to match up with what has been said by others on the site. Hope it helps :)

animal_expert01 likes this.
  10. animal_expert01

In regards to this comment, which antelope species have the best looking future in Australia? And which species are likely to die out in the next few years?

11. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In regards to Antelopes in Australia Bongos really need some help I believe with the new female from Singapore makes for only two females in the country with around six males still here. While interest in the species seems low at the current time with our major zoos the new focus appear to be on Nyala the current pin up species. I believe the ZAA should of gone ahead with the two species that were of main interest a few years ago the Sable and Impala but it appears they have again lossed interest in this. How ever untill the IRA is finished for them not much is going to happen the new IRA appears to be taking for ever and a day!, just maybe if/when impala do get imported the blackbuck living in the African exhibit at the Western plains zoo can migrate back to the Asian section where it belongs!

12. Chlidonias

here is a list of IRAs: Home Animal import risk analyses

For both Australia and New Zealand there are two separate lists, and in each case the species have to be present on both lists to be allowed into the country.

For NZ there is a list of animals allowed to be kept in zoos, and then a list of animals allowed to be imported (i.e. those with an IHS). There are many animals on the "allowed to be kept" list which are not on the importable list.

For Australia there is a list of species which "are suitable for import" and then a second list of species which actually can be imported (i.e. those with an IRA).

In both countries it is up to the zoos to apply to get species added to the relevant lists.

13. Chlidonias

I think it best if the other argument on the thread was laid to rest, because it was clearly simply due to intended tone not coming across in written form. However (and I realise I'm side-tracking the thread) I am intrigued by this description:

What does this mean?

14. Batto

Go to a metropolitan park or playground (NYC, Berlin, Zürich, Paris, Barcelona...take a pick) frequented by hipsters, do some people watching and you'll understand. Just take a woman or a kid with you so that you don't creep them out...;)

15. Chlidonias

so, "overpaid hipster chaperon" equals "babysitter"? I was confused also by the mate tea - this is a thing outside South America?

I'm not sure where I would get a kid from in order to perform the task you suggest. That might end badly.

16. Batto

Trust me: there are plenty of parents who would be eager to have you take their children out to the park just to have a few minutes for themselves. You just have to state your case convincingly. ;)
    Both terms can equal one another, but I find most babysitters way more sympathetic.
    Beverages with mate tea extract are a common thing among hipsters. Constantly sipping Club-Mate lemonade has become a trademark for German hipsters in Berlin, Hamburg or Munich. ^^
    http://weknowmemes.com/generator/uploads/generated/g1452791462827853426.jpg

17. Chlidonias

you can probably work this out for yourself from the stickied Exotic Mammal thread at the top of the Australia forum.

18. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

@Chlidonias: that really sounds like me, doesn't it? :p

:p

Hix

19. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

You can buy cans and bottles of cold yerba mate in Los Angeles. They are somewhat pricey and yes, also a hipster thing here too. I drink them occasionally because my university sells them subsidized.

20. Batto

Coelacanth18 likes this.