Join our zoo community

What Species Would You Import To Australia?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by animal_expert01, 14 Jun 2017.

1. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

I would definitively import unwanted ''south-central'' black rhinos from the U.S., since there are around 30 of them there, and they are not participating in an official breeding programme. I don't like even an eventual hybrid from this precious animal to be lost. The Australia probably have around 11 ''south-central'' black rhinos, and it would be great if the country-continent, succeed to manage captive self-sustainable breeding of this subspecies with its vast parks in some zoos (eg. Taronga Western Plains, Australia zoo, many others), and Europe, America and Japan, are already breeding the ''eastern'' black rhino.

Last edited: 17 Jun 2017
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There are two male Black rhino living at Monatro zoo were there appears to be little or no interest in participating in any breeding program for this species!

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

participation in breeding programmes can involve simply holding excess animals, and there can be several reasons for this. To say that Monarto have "little or no interest in participating in any breeding program for this species" is just utter nonsense.

marmolady and MRJ like this.
  4. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Even it would be great if Australasia's zoos start to phase out the white rhinoceroses and to focus on south-central black rhinoceros with imports from the U.S., because south-central black rhino has a higher conservation priority than the most numerous, rhino species (both in the wild and in captivity), the white rhino. With such managed breeding population, the Australasia's zoos get another exclusive, for the entire world, breeding programme.
    :)

Australia, please save the captive south-central black rhino.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2017
  5. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Taronga Western Plains Zoo imported six wild Black Rhino in 1994, are they the South-Central Black Rhino described above? I believe offspring were exported to the USA from this original import.

6. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

And I assume with the trivial matters of planning permission, construction and animal aquisition sussed, our two zoos are now free to attend to the more pressing matter of the free ice-cream. I understand their has been high demand for 'Hipster Ice Cream', it has the cool flavour of the once popular 'Emo Ice Cream' but with more optimistic toppings, namely sprinkles.

7. LOU Y

LOU Y Member

Hi all,

I thought the following list may be of interest to some of you.......It is a list of all exotic mammals kept at ZAA zoos in Australia and whether they have an IRA and/or are included on the live import list.

Species in blue are both included in an IRA and on the live import list. It is therefore possible to import these species. Of course, these are not the only requirements that must be met in order to import animals. There are other processes that must be followed as well. But these are the two major regulatory barriers that are most difficult to change.

Species in red cannot be imported at this time. They are either:
    - On the live import list but not covered by an IRA.
    - Covered by an IRA but not on the live import list.
    - Neither on the live import list nor covered by an IRA.

I made this list a while ago so if anyone notices any errors let me know and I can update.

The live import list can be found here and the list of IRAs can be found here.

LOU Y

Attached Files:

PAT, animal_expert01 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  8. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Thank you, what a useful resource!

9. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I assume that Red-handed Tamarins can now be added to the list since the Darling Downs Zoo imported some this year.

Last edited: 13 Aug 2018
    animal_expert01 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  10. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe this was a joint importation with one pair going on to another zoo also more are expected to follow for other zoos in the region!

WhistlingKite24 likes this.