Join our zoo community

What species would you like to own, but can't for whatever reason?

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by DaLilFishie, 23 Jul 2020.

1. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

I could probably make a nearly endless list, but my no.1 would be the dog-faced pufferfish (Arothron nigropunctatus). I don't have a tank nearly large enough for one. Seeing them at aquariums will have to do.

2. WalkingAgnatha

WalkingAgnatha Well-Known Member

Basically any small non-venomous snake, can't because in New Zealand all snakes are illegal.

3. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

Leopard gecko (I’ve never even seen one:() all exotic herps (except for axolotols) are forbidden in Australia.

In my state of Victoria you can own a Blue and Yellow Macaw without a lisence yet to own a Blue Tongue or a Carpet Python you have to pay for a reptile lisence.

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Huh. One can't keep a snake and the other can't keep a Leopard Gecko. If only they could swap places...

5. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I currently have six snakes and have often thought about branching out into keeping other exotic animals. My three dream animals I’d like to keep are chameleons, poison dart frogs, and tarantulas. Unfortunately, I don’t have my own place yet and I’m living with my family who draw the line at six snakes. I also don’t have any room to keep them and nowhere to put the insects that they eat.

red river hog likes this.
  6. red river hog

red river hog Well-Known Member

I'm in the same situation. Except I'm limited to an aquarium and a turtle.
    When I get my own place I want to get a lot of other animals like Brown Anole, Oriental Long-tailed Grass Lizard, Madagascar Ground Gecko, and others.

7. ThatOneZooGuy

ThatOneZooGuy Well-Known Member

Though my family is comprised of animal lovers, I’m currently limited to a Beardie and a 25 gal Freshwater aquarium.

When I get my own place, I’d love to keep a Shingleback skink, Tiger salamander, and perhaps even an Argentine Tegu.

red river hog likes this.
  8. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Bitis parviocula & Pseudocerastes urarachnoides => available on the market, but of illegal origin and highly priced.
    Protobothrops mangshanensis & Simalia boeleni: can't recreate the apt husbandry conditions at the moment. :(

9. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Don't even get me started, there are so many species I'd love to own! As I've been working on getting everything prepared for permits, licensing, becoming incorporated, and a few other things surrounding my education business, I haven't really been taking in any new animals. After losing two of my herps to cancer and abscesses in one month, I've taken a step back from acquiring new individuals and have been working on getting everything ready for a future USDA inspection. I've also been phasing out species I keep as pets that wouldn't be able to be good ambassadors (fish, mourning geckos, aggressive rabbits) as they'd thrive in a setting where they don't have to be disturbed. I've been taking things slowly so I don't risk the stability when it comes to the care of my existing animals.

As for species I'd like to own... there's a ton! In my current living situation I can't have anything that takes up a ton of space, so no wallabies or coati for me at the moment.

I've got a friend who's trying to get her hands on a breeding pair of Northern white-faced owls, either through importation from Europe or trying to find a source in the United States. They're not very common in the United States, so they will likely be imported. (They are not protected by the Migratory Bird Act. Importing them is legal, as far as I know.) So I'd like to acquire one of the offspring from that pair.

The species I'd like to work with the most are: Any armadillo species, any porcupine species, brush-tailed betting, binturong, Patagonian mara, Virginia opossum, any turaco species, and pied crows.

10. red river hog

red river hog Well-Known Member

Wow! That's so cool!

11. EsserWarrior

Right? They're common in the private trade, so I'm not worried about finding them. I've got an acquaintance that lives in Central Wisconsin that has sold many species across the United States to several zoos and other USDA licensed facilities. I'll be getting any mammals or birds that aren't typically kept as pets from him. Any common household mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and invertebrates will only be taken in as rescues/rehomes, as I'm not going to go out and buy something that I could rescue/adopt.

BenFoxster and red river hog like this.
  12. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Green Junglefowl, which I worked with many years ago. Only one individual here in the UK, and slim chance of any coming in. Other dream species are Scarlet Ibis (relatively achievable) and (any) Crowned Pigeon (possibly permanently out of my price range!)

However, I’m already working with several of my favourite bird species — there are so many favourites!

ThylacineAlive and EsserWarrior like this.
  13. EsserWarrior

Have you tried looking in any online forums? Facebook groups based in the United Kingdom may have the species you're looking for.

14. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would love to keep a colony of passenger pigeons, but can't for obvious reasons.

EsserWarrior likes this.
  15. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My three dream species are: any Crowned Pigeon taxon, Green Junglefowl, and Scarlet Ibis. We’ll get there:)

EsserWarrior likes this.
  16. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I keep asking for a Carolina Parakeet for my birthday, but no one ever gets me one for some reason.

Buldeo, ThylacineAlive and Neil chace like this.
  17. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd like a genet or two (any species) but limited by a lack of funds and space...

BenFoxster likes this.
  18. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I'd just love to *see* one :p

19. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

May I ask why you can't? Sorry, I really don't know much about birds.

20. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They're extinct.