Join our zoo community

What species would you like to see figurines of?

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by Great Argus, 28 Nov 2018.

Tags:
  1. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

WhistlingKite24 likes this.
  2. Black Footed Beast

Black Footed Beast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am now curious, is there figures for either of the African Crowned Cranes, the Shoebill, or the Black Footed Cat

3. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

CollectA has a Shoebill figurine available.
    Shoebill

4. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It's a quite nice figurine too, I have one. :)

5. WhistlingKite24

So do I, CollectA has some lovely models.:)

6. Great Argus

Indeed they do, I own a few! Hoping to get more as time goes on.

7. WhistlingKite24

I am especially fond of their antelope models (especially the Bongo Antelope and Calf).
    Also, I just got the African Civet.:)

Great Argus likes this.
  8. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just an update on some new models:

3x Dromedary Camels
    1x Sheep Ewe
    1x Sheep Lamb
    1x Donkey

9. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Black-footed cat seems lacking into figurine form, sadly :( Maybe a repaint of some breed of domestic cats can works...
    Looks like some crowned crane figures has been made for both species. The black one was made by Starlux http://toyanimal.info//images/thumb/1/1c/Starlux_Crowned_Crane.jpg/600px-Starlux_Crowned_Crane.jpg but, as all Starlux models (that are somewhat antique) it's not very accurate. I can't find the grey one bu probably it's done by some brand (I just can't believe that a so famous species hasn't been made!)
    Shoebill, for the contrary, is super common in toy form. Many brands made it, overall the Japanese ones. You have shoebills from CollectA, Doki-doki, Eikoh (two different models) and Kaiyodo (two different models) at least, all of them very realistic and in different positions.

I tought in buying the bongo some day, but it's a bit too large compared with other CollectA tragelaphines (at the moment I only have the giant eland, but the bongo seems to be the same size than giant eland!), besides that the neck is a bit too tick and of course I must repaint the face with these ugly white shade around and below eyes.

10. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

For talking about new additions, please use this previous thread:
    Minature Animal Figure Collection

This other thread is for species that you would like to see in the future (mostly, I assume, species that has not been made before into figurine or those that you want better models than the ones already done)

11. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Your wishes came true: here is a perfect black-footed cat. Expensive, tough. Serie felina completa el gato negro-footed

ZooBinh likes this.
  12. Great Argus

It looks like every species of cat is available from there, and all nicely done too! Quite expensive though! :p

13. Black Footed Beast

I have been getting a few new miniatures and want to know if there are miniatures for Allens Swamp Monkey, Colobus Monkey, Any Type of Swan, Any Type of Hornbill, and Geladas

14. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

No brand did ever an Allen's swamp monkey.

There are various mantled guereza: Action Products, K & M, Kaiyodo, Play Visions, and Starlux. I think the Kaiyodo model is the best: P1170944 — Postimage.org (here, to the right, with the Action Products one). No brand did any other species of colobus.

Swans are very popular amongst figurine makers. Of course, most are mute swans or black swans. The latter is done by Papo, Safari LTD, Science and Nature, and Yowies. The Yowies black swan is too short-necked. The Papo and Safari swans have spread wings, Papo have the best sculpt, but wrong colours (wings completely black and bill completely red) while Safari have correct colours but not so perfect sculpt (and a knob at the base of the bill as if it were a mute swan). The Science and Nature black swan is maybe the best one, tough not perfect: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZkW4k3w+L.jpg
    Mute swan is heavily represented with no less than 9 brands and 18 models representing the species. The brands are Bullyland (five models, only one of them enough realistic, that is one with chicks), CollectA (perfect model), Maia & Borges (perfect model), Mojo fun (perfect model), Nayab (not very good model), Papo (perfect model with spread wings), Playmobil (two models: adult and cygnet. You know what Playmobil is... they don't try to be super realistic), Safari LTD (a model with spread wings and poseable neck, not perfect quality), and Schleich (six models, all of them relatively good except the Mini version that looks like a very simplistic coscoroba swan much more than a mute swan. And the adult with cygnets is not very convincing. too short neck, too "duckish" face and bill. The other three adults are fine, and the sixth model is a row of 4 cygnets on a green platform)
    Finally, whooper swan has been done by two brands that are, of course, Japanese brands. One is the Eikoh (not bad sculpt, but wrong bill colour) and the other is Kaiyodo. Like almost all Kaiyodo figures, it must be assembled. Kayiodo did two models: one standing https://s.ecrater.com/stores/355123/55fa898081bb8_355123b.jpg and one swimming that I think it a more poor sculpture https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/500AAOSw8W1bfYwy/s-l640.jpg

Some hornbills has been made into figurine. Brands paid attention only to larger species, as would be expectable. So we have Great Indian Hornbill done by Albert Heijn, Bandai, Bullyland, Furuta Chocoegg and Yowies. The Furuta one is the best: https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/...yodo-Furuta-Choco-Egg-Great-Hornbill-Bird.jpg
    Southern Ground Hornbill has been made by Yowies USA and is not bad: https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/...-Brand-Collectible-Figure-Southern-Ground.jpg
    By last, Rufous hornbill has been made by Nayab. A very poor painting, tough. http://toyanimal.info//images/thumb/f/f0/Hornbill.JPG/800px-Hornbill.JPG Some collectors repainted it into a Palawan hornbill: https://i.servimg.com/u/f58/16/10/21/19/dscf2161.jpg

Gelada has never been made into figurine by any brand. There are some non-toy and extremely expensive figurines of it such as this one from Signatustudio: http://www.signatustudio.com/uploads/2/5/6/9/25691557/p7190026_orig.jpg it cost 50 € at their website...

15. Black Footed Beast

Thanks Kakapo, I was also wondering what the best way to collect the figures from Yowie would be considering it has a lot of animals I would love to get figures of

16. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

I think that there are only two ways: buy the chocolates and see what surprise is inside (with high risk of ending with lots of duplicates and never get all the species), or buy the figures themselves in eBay or similar platforms.
    By the way I don't have any Yowie in my collection yet. Not enough perfect quality for me, but maybe I'm tempted to search some day for some of their best figures, like the blue-winged goose, spotted cuscus, prairie chicken, Kipunji monkey, australian giant cuttlefish, or silky sifaka. Other figures are just weird, such as the jabiru or that pinecone-shaped echidna...

17. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've wanted Yowie's prairie-chicken for quite some time. I have the ivory-bill.

18. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

This thread hasn't been posted on for a while, but I would definitely like a figurine of a moonrat.

19. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oikopleura and the barrel-eye fish

20. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wish there were more poisonous and venomous species available as affordable realistic models so that I could sell them in my gift shop...