Join our zoo community

What species would you like to see figurines of?

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by Great Argus, 28 Nov 2018.

Tags:
  1. Birdsage

Birdsage Well-Known Member

Diramix has a Wels Catfish. It’s rubber and not a particularly high-quality item, but it does exist.

Lota lota likes this.
  2. Kalaw

Kalaw Well-Known Member

I would love to see a malagasy carnivore (euplerid) of some description...

3. Birdsage

Here are some animals that can be realistically expected in the near future from the major companies (Safari, CollectA, Schleich, Papo, and Mojo):
    Atlantic Spotted Dolphin
    Amazon River Dolphin
    Spectacled Bear
    Fossa (CollectA)
    Marmot, any species (CollectA)
    Pelican Eel (CollectA)
    Ocelot (Safari)
    Ringtail (Safari)
    American Pika (Safari Incredible Creatures)
    Leopard Gecko (Safari Incredible Creatures).
    Atlantic Bluefin Tuna (Papo)
    Atlantic Cod (Papo)
    European Goldfinch (Papo)
    House Sparrow (Papo)
    Carrion Crow (Papo)
    Crested Porcupine (Papo or Schleich)
    The rest of the Southlands Replicas animals (Mojo)

4. Birdsage

There is a Play Visions Ring-tailed Vontsira. It has long been discontinued, but Collectible Wildlife Gifts has it in stock: Mongoose Ring-Tailed Plastic Replica 3-inch - F1076 B175 (Note: the photo is incorrect. It instead shows a knockoff or variant of the Play Visions Aquatic Genet. The actual Aquatic Genet item can be found here: Genet Aquatic Plastic Replica 3-inch - F1072 B175)

The fourth series of Yowies (not the long-discontinued Australia-only ones, but the single-piece ones also available in North America) had a Fossa. That particular series series is retired, so it would take some searching to find, but it turns up in Yowie lots on eBay with regularity.

There was also a Fossa in a 2007 Wild Republic Nature Tube, but it’s not quite as high in quality, and good luck finding it.

Though it is not a figure, it is worth mentioning that a plush Ring-tailed Vontsira was released by the Discovery Channel, and it appears on eBay with some frequency.

Last edited: 20 Aug 2022
    Kalaw likes this.
  5. Lota lota

Lota lota Well-Known Member

How do you know that these animals in particular are likely to be made?

6. Birdsage

Spectacled Bear and coatis are reasonably popular animals that haven’t been made by major companies (yes, there was a Schleich mini coati, but that doesn’t count as a serious attempt to recreate the animal.)
    After the Cheetah, Cougar, and lynxes, the Ocelot is the next most popular small cat.
    Amazon River Dolphin and Atlantic Spotted Dolphin seem to be the next most popular dolphins after Orca, Bottlenose, and Common.
    Leopard Gecko is probably the most popular gecko after Crested. As a small animal, it fits well in the Incredible Creatures line.
    American Pika is one of the more distinctive small North American animals that Safari can cover in Incredible Creatures.
    Ringtail is one of the few major North American animals left for Safari to cover that doesn’t overlap too much with what it’s already made.
    Papo seems to be leaning towards common Eurasian birds and North Atlantic marine life. I suppose I could add Eurasian Hoopoe as another possibility.
    Porcupines are a major animal type that has not been covered by Schleich or Papo. Crested seems most likely, as it is present on the European continent.
    Starting with the Perentie and Tasmanian Devil, Mojo appears to be reissuing the figures from the Southlands Replicas line albeit with a slightly downgraded paint scheme.
    I might add the possibility of an armadillo (either Giant or Nine-banded), but not from Safari.

Lota lota likes this.
  7. Lota lota

I also think it's very strange that there aren't any rock dove figurine since basically any human has seen one.

8. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I disagree with this statement, I'm pretty sure it goes to the Serval and Caracal. Papo had an Ocelot in their line until this year, I have it even.

Safari makes both in miniature form, maybe we'll get an upgrade at some point.

Tuna are made by multiple Asian brands, maybe a Western brand will do one.

CollectA has a Crested in production currently and Safari has North American.

Ironically Safari is the only one to make an armadillo currently, as one of the miniatures.

They have a deal with the owner of Southlands, so you're likely right.

Papo has a Marmot in production, and Safari has the Groundhog in the Incredible Creatures line.

Lota lota and Kakapo like this.
  9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

So, your "realistically expected" actually means "I'm just making guesses" then? Because that's all your doing there.

10. Birdsage

I thought it would be the next logical cat figure for Safari, as an American brand, to make.
    CollectA and Mojo will probably make a Caracal instead, though.
    The Papo Ocelot was discontinued in 2019, not this year. In any case, that brand probably won’t be remaking it.

I actually now think that any of the brands could make a standard-sized tuna. Safari would probably make a Yellowfin, as a larger version of the TOOB figure. Mojo and CollectA are Asian, so a Pacific Bluefin would be fair game for them.

CollectA’s porcupine is not merely a Crested, but an Indian Crested.

There’s also the Incredible Creatures one, which is why I don’t think Safari will be coming out with a standard-sized one.

11. Great Argus

Logical on what grounds? You're literally just throwing guesses out.

That's right. And no brands typically don't make a previous figure again. Sometimes remakes are done, if a species is popular, but I don't think Ocelot meets that.

What does this have to do with anything relating to species choice?

Your point? It's still a crested porcupine.

12. Lota lota

Here are some well-known,or at least moderately well-known species that I would like to see:
    1 Baikal seal
    2 Golden eagle
    4 Corn snake
    5 Saltwater crocodile
    6 Pine marten
    7 Common carp
    8 Ringed seal

13. Birdsage

Pay attention to my usage of “have” and “had”.

Mojo has a Golden Eagle, as did Schleich, Safari, and several Japanese brands. Wild Republic currently has a plush Golden Eagle.

Safari and Science & Nature have figures of the Saltwater Crocodile, as did many other companies.

Bullyland and Kaiyodo had the European Carp. Mention should be made of the carp from the Replica Toy Fish Company, but it was never officially released, and as far as I can tell, only a single individual figure is known to exist.

Yowie Group has a small Ringed Seal. A larger figure manufactured by Nayab and sold by various random retailers is considered by some collectors to be a Ringed Seal, but it is shaped like a sea lion. Some plush seals may represent this species.

Early Learning Centre and several older companies had a European Pine Marten. Schleich had a Stone Marten. Several Japanese companies had Japanese Martens. A plush European Pine Marten is currently available from an Aliexpress seller, but since I’ve got my eyes on that one, I’m not naming any names.

The Wild Republic Pets set has a Corn Snake. Aurora World and Wishpets have plush ones.

Some Japanese companies have plush Baikal Seals.

Last edited: 10 Sep 2022
    TinoPup likes this.
  14. Lota lota

Sorry, I was just using animal toywiki.And while many of these have been made,none of the species have realistic,well-made,affordable toys depicting them.

15. Birdsage

So you don’t think the Safari Ltd Saltwater Crocodile counts as realistic, well-made, and affordable?

If not, Mojo will probably release Southlands Replicas’ planned Saltwater Crocodile in the not-too-distant future.

16. Great Argus

Safari's old Golden Eagle is hideous though. :p

Most places just call them "crocodile" and the species is debatable.

I've seen plush American Martens several times, and know three people who have them.

As does Safari Ltd Incredible Creatures.

Birdsage and TinoPup like this.
  17. Great Argus

Mojo's newly released Golden Eagle isn't good enough for you?

Birdsage and TinoPup like this.
  18. Lota lota

It meets all off those three criteria. I was actually unaware that it even existed,since it wasn't listed on animaltoywiki.

Birdsage likes this.
  19. Lota lota

I actually didn't notice it on animaltoywiki,even though it's listed there.I would have seen it if i would have had my contacts,and looking at my normal computer and not a chromebook

20. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Please send me all of the plush martens, thanks :)