Join our zoo community

What species would you like to see figurines of?

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by Great Argus, 28 Nov 2018.

Tags:
  1. Birdsage

Birdsage Well-Known Member

Well, then, do you know anyone with the Leosco plush Black-and-rufous Sengi that I’m looking for?

2. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Nope, sorry. A quick search and I'm not even sure I saw the one you mention.

3. Birdsage

That’s because it was marketed as “Elephant Shrew”. I mean this one:
    Elephant Shrew Stuffed Animal
    All of the listings I can find are either out of stock or on fake scam websites.

4. Great Argus

I searched for elephant shrew because I figured the descriptor wouldn't help. I did indeed see that one and that exact page, I just missed the name on the right hand side the first time. Looks to be a custom plush that is long gone unfortunately, it's pretty cool.

5. Birdsage

I believe that like all the other Leosco SOS stuffed animals, it was in fact a mass-produced, non-custom product, so who knows? I do have hope that it just might show up on the secondhand market someday, something I can’t say with some actually limited edition or otherwise small-batch products (ahem, Silent Forest birds, Replica Toy Fish, and Fauna Figures fishes). In fact, according to Worthpoint, it has been recorded to have appeared on eBay in the past.

Last edited: 11 Sep 2022
  6. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I’d like to see a new Wisent. A more widely available Aurochs. Maybe an Asiatic Lion or Cheetah figure.

Austin the Sengi, Ituri and Birdsage like this.
  7. Birdsage

I was just checking the recently sold Leosco items on eBay, and apparently one of them sold in August. I think that confirms my hypothesis: it’s not custom, and another one will probably show up on eBay sooner or later.

8. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Schleichs already ran a crested porcupine in their Bayala set with Fizzio. It's a retired set n.70441.
    You can probably find the porcupine on ebay.

9. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Any waterfowl….I can only find Mandarin, Mallard and domestics

10. Birdsage

I believe you mean ducks specifically, as several brands currently have Mute Swans and Black Swans, and Papo recently came out with a Canada Goose.
    The Maia & Borges waterfowl (Wood Duck, Tufted Duck, and Falcated Duck, plus a grebe and some divers standing on inaccurate feet) are currently available from European sources.
    You might be able to find the Wood Ducks and American Wigeons from the New-Ray hunting-themed line, though these are more common in North America.
    Various other species have been produced by other brands (Kaiyodo, Cadbury, AAA, etc.) but those figures are now retired and often difficult to source in the UK. For those, I recommend checking Australian, Asian, and German sites respectively.
    For the record, plush versions of non-Mallard ducks (Common Eider, Common Pochard, Common Shelduck, Eurasian Teal, and Tufted Duck) have been produced by Wild Republic for the RSPB and, though retired, show up every now and then on the UK eBay site.

Last edited: 14 Oct 2022
  11. Great Argus

Ebay as well. Also don't forget Yowie, though their quality varies. I do have their Blue-winged Goose which is nice.
    I agree with @FBBird though the waterfowl is greatly lacking from the major brands. I only have 4 species of waterfowl in my rather large collection so far.

Birdsage likes this.
  12. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ducks Unlimited has done a few runs of all of the North American duck species. I have most of them.

13. Great Argus

You're referring to the miniature duck decoys?

14. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes.

Birdsage and Great Argus like this.
  15. Lota lota

Lota lota Well-Known Member

I can't seem to find any nandu figurines.It's not like they are extremley obscure animals so it's pretty strange that they don't exist in figurine form.

Haliaeetus and Birdsage like this.
  16. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Only a very old and long discontinued rhea figure was made by Starlux AFAIK. But some ostrich figurines such as the older Schleich version had three toes, so they could worth a repaint as a rhea.

As curiosity, looking for rhea figurines in google, I ended in this eBay auction African Ostrich Struthio Bird Animal Figure Model Toy Collector Decor Kid Gift | eBay that sells a model that is obviously sculpted as an ostrich, but painted as an emu.

17. Great Argus

I think rheas are less interesting colorwise to the average public, and a bit less known, resulting in more attention to the Ostrich, emu, and cassowary.

It strikes me as very reminiscent of Safari's old ostrich in sculpt. A couple figures in that photo look repainted looking at it, I recognize most of the brands represented and some don't look like I'd expect.

18. Lota lota

Lota lota Well-Known Member

Helmeted guineafowl are very common and the african savannah is the most represented habitat in animal toy form.Yet,not a single large company has ever made a figurine of this species.

Haliaeetus likes this.
  19. Great Argus

Heavily spotted species tend to be avoided due to relative difficulty of painting them, big cats excluded. Especially for a smaller figure like a guineafowl painting would be a real pain to do well.

Haliaeetus likes this.
  20. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Having done a homemade vulturine guineafowl, I can confirm they're a badass thing to paint. I think probably most brands that try to made a guineafowl would do just a very simplified paintjob. As in the rheas, only the old vintage brands did guineafowls (Starlux, Lineol), excluding large wooden or porcelain figures that are not considered as toys. Starlux just did spotless guineafowls, either blackish or white. Despite being so old and many years long retired, all of them are in stock for sale on certain places.