Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo What to do with Urban Jungle?

Discussion in 'United States' started by gormancgo, 13 Nov 2014.

1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know this thread has been dead for a little now but I have a idea that would cause minimal demolition. Remake a smaller version of horn and hoof mesa. The Rhino and red river hog exhibits would remain the same however. The giraffes will be getting a new feeding deck, replacing the feedings from the ground. The hornbill would be moved to Africa Rocks and a bigger exhibit for royal antelope. The zebra and donkey will get a small part of the kangaroo habitat and the rest will go to the southern gerenuk. The flamingo habitat Will be a new home for lesser kudu, and Speke’s Gazelle. The cheetahs will be moved to the originally planned zebra habitat in Africa rocks. This exhibit will have bush pigs. lastly the roos will move into the outback in the space where the small clouded leopard and bearcat cages to the koala exhibits are.

Now that the hoofstock yards across from the Northern frontier are cleared we can begin the next exhibit a expansion of NF. The grizzly brothers will get a new grassy exhibit with underwater viewing where the zebra yard is. The rest of the yards will become a south American exhibit and include the current maned wolf/giant anteater yard as well as Andean bears, coatimundi, ocelots, and squirrel monkeys.

Lastly the Asian grottos would be teared down for new exhibits for sloth bears, Asian small clawed otters, and dholes.

StoppableSan likes this.
  2. Beastking04

Beastking04 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think that's an awesome idea pachyderm pro! You also finding a way to improve the Asian, Arctic, and Hoofstock exhibits is a genius idea.

pachyderm pro likes this.
  3. Anteaterman

Anteaterman Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I like the idea of connecting it to Australian Outback. They could build a large yard in the back part of the area for red kangaroos and emus. The giraffe yard could be kept, with only some of it being demolished for the kangaroos and emus, and hold cassowaries. Obviously that enclosure would need more trees and plants, though. A nocturnal house where the dog exhibit is similar to the one in LA would be good to house sugar gliders and echidnas, and maybe even the off exhibit kiwis. The middle yard that is in current use for rhinos would be good for the johnston's crocs in the reptile area. Other things the zoo should do to improve: Tear down all the exhibits in sun bear forest to make a new Asian Passage. First step. Make a viewing area for the hillside that was recently occupied by gerenuks and warthogs, and replace them with Chinese goral. Step 2. Create a new sun bear forest by making a large grassy area with small groups of trees and a pool of water. Since sun bears like to climb, large branches would also be ideal. As for the langurs, their exhibit could be kept the way it is. The current gibbon habitat could also stay the way it is. Since the only asian animals that are down center street are the otters and one species of brown bear, the otters could go to the pool in the children's zoo and the bears could go to another zoo. I have many other ideas, but this is not the place to put them.

Last edited: 30 Aug 2017