Join our zoo community

What to put in a fantasy giant aviary?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by TESSschools, 9 Jun 2016.

Tags:
  1. TESSschools

TESSschools Member

I fantasies about building a giant aviary (let's say 5km by 5km), but often get lost in thought when trying to decide what to put in it. I have three factors I would want to stick too:

Most endangered species
    As many species as possible
    Species that particularly compliment each other ecologically

I live most in Northern England so a wet but not to hot, not to cold kind of place - this is where it would be.

I'm new to ZooChat and super impressed by all of your fantasy zoos etc... I'd love to here how or what you'd all come up with to tackle the above situation? What exactly would go in this giant aviary..?

2. TheDisneyTeen

TheDisneyTeen Member

Wow that is a gigantic aviary! :p I will give some thought into it. Just some questions:
    Is this a "dome concept", meaning that the whole area can be climate-controlled? (I know this will be virtually impossible logistically and financially in real life......but hey, why not? )
    Is this entirely a free flight aviary? So no enclosures within ithr aviary is allowed?
    Is there a limit to the number of species we can choose and must feasibility (ease to obtain, difficulty in keeping in captivity etc.) be considered?

3. TESSschools

TESSschools Member

Thanks, I'd love to here them. Great questions, here's what I was thinking:

Actually no not domed and climate controlled but more of a very basic and cheap version, simply a very large net over very long poles. I like the idea of keeping the climate of Norther England.

I'm thinking initially a free flight enclosure as emphasis here is on space for flight, two enclosures max I'd say.

Ah this is probably the hardest to keep in some realm of reality. Let's say realistic in terms of obtaining, but as for keeping them in captivity I imagine the whole game has change considering how large the enclosure is - I guess that one your initiative an deal with.

It would be great to hear your thoughts on how this could be achieved in a nearest to reality type of fashion. For me that's more exciting some how.

Thanks for such a great reply!

4. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

A few things:
    1. Your basic "cheap" version will cost multi-millions (or possibly billions) of dollars/pounds.
    2. 5km by 5km is 25 sq. km. or 6200 acres or 2500 hectares or nearly 10 sq. miles. This is larger than any single zoo in existence. Even something massive like the San Diego Wild Animal Park is 1800 acres, but only half of that is used. You're proposing a single exhibit that is 3.5 times larger than the whole Wild Animal Park.
    3. Even if something that big were constructed, how are the keepers going to care for the animals? How will they even find the animals?
    4. How will the guests view the animals? How will the guests get around?
    5. What impact will this have on the environment? You've basically cut off a city sized area from the native wildlife that would have otherwise used this land?
    6. Who's going to pay for it? A single aviary with nothing but birds won't bring in many guests. On the low end, you're looking at 100 million pounds to construct it. You might get a few thousand guests a year - at best. Ticket prices would be through the roof (a few thousand a ticket?).

5. TESSschools

TESSschools Member

1. In reference to TheDisneyTeen's climate controlled version this is the cheap version.
    2. I knew the math, but thank you all the same.
    3. Find = GPS trackers via an iPhone would work splendidly.
    4. With there eyes, and by walking (in the exhibit),maybe with a ranger to point stuff out (with there iPhone).
    5. Depends on the environment already there, it could go either way - definitely something to consider though. Also a point; the local wildlife may not necessarily be cut off.
    6. I'm not sure, a philanthropist mil/billionaire who believes in my vision (and likes birds obviously); an incredibly savvy business plan. See your number two statement, it's a spectacle, they'll come from far and wide - tell me you wouldn't come ;) Ticket prices will be just fine, maybe even better.

6. jbnbsn99

To give you a rough estimate on how unfeasible your plan is, here are the numbers in terms of money. Mesh costs between $7 to $17 a square foot. The cheaper stuff is extremely wide and many smaller birds will get through.
    I did a rough calculation of how much just the netting for this aviary would cost. If it were only 20 feet tall, using the high end mesh, you're looking at a cost of $4,596,860,112 (about 3.2 billion pounds).

7. TESSschools

TESSschools Member

Wow, that's a lot of money. I really like how you jump into calculating the costs. Let's say the only costs are the netting and the posts to hold it up. And let's say we want it 20 meters of the ground. What's the max area we could cover with 100k?

8. jbnbsn99

To figure this out, here's the steps to use. I'll just be calculating the cost of the netting at 100K. I'll be working in dollars and sq ft because those are the figures for which I have quotes. THe total square footage you can have is 5,882 for that cost at 17 dollars per sq. ft.

20m = 66ft. You have a box which 5 sides need to be netted. Here's the formula: 2(66*x) + 2(66*y) +(x*y) = 5882

The biggest your aviary could be is about 20 feet by 20 feet, or 400 sq ft.

9. TESSschools

TESSschools Member

Ah that's no good is it? It's probably a good job this is a fantasy thread. Shall we get back to that? So what would you put in 5km aviary?

Hang on a minute, what if we used this: http://www.renconets.com/twisted-polyethylene-netting-50mm-12-6

78p per meter gets us a lot more range right? And yes let's call this a charity to avoid the tax man, keeping it at this price (savvy business sense - I did tell you).

A lot closer to a huge aviary!

10. BedildaSue

BedildaSue Well-Known Member

What the Actual....

Dear haughty misanthrope,

You are in the fantasy zoo section, in case you missed that. The OP doesn't need anyone telling him how "unfeasible" his plans are. He inarguably knows, and you know why? He's in the...get ready for it...fantasy zoo forum!

If you seriously have nothing better to do with your time (and I pray you do) than try to break down the inadequacies of something that's clearly fantasy-based to someone who is only having a little bit of fun, I beg of you - keep your crotchety advice to yourself.

Thanks.

animal_expert01 likes this.
  11. jbnbsn99

Ignoring the above post...

The netting you linked to is extremely huge. The only birds it could contain might be larger birds of prey. Even still, such a large mesh could potentially harm the birds (mostly birds getting caught in the mesh). Going with the cheapest materials you can find is a recipe for disaster (not to mention injured or killed birds).

12. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member

As this is a fantasy exhibit, how about a flock of Quetzalcoatlus?

13. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member

Or dragons? Thestrals? Also thunderbirds, Rocs and flying pigs, maybe, so to cater to BedildaSue's hieratic definition of fantasy, fun and boondoggle? ;):p

14. TESSschools

TESSschools Member

Ah well there you go. Zero fun, and a bunch of negative people with poor attitudes. I'll go somewhere else and talk to people with even a touch of optimism and creativity.

Thanks for your lovely reply TheDisneyTeen and thanks for defending me BadildaSue.

As for the rest of you, good luck, have nice lives, whatever, bye.

15. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member

https://media.makeameme.org/created/well-that-escalated-xjkw26.jpg

I think that jbnbsn99's advice was correct, just as the (humorous) sharpening of the "fantasy" argument by the suggestion of fantasy critters had to be expected. But maybe I'm also just another negative haughty misanthrope with zero touch of optimism and creativity...

16. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member

you don't need to go away. You said in your second post that you wanted "to keep [the aviary] in some realm of reality" and "It would be great to hear your thoughts on how this could be achieved in a nearest to reality type of fashion. For me that's more exciting some how."

That is why jbnbsn99 gave you the posts he did. If you have read the other fantasy threads, especially the ones he is involved in, you will have seen that that is what he does. He is interested in the mechanics of it and not just lists of animals. There was no intent to suck the fun out of it for you or to be negative. It is all about making the fantasy more realistic, as it were.

The suggestions of imaginary animals were in fun (as opposed to "zero fun").

17. Falanouc

Falanouc Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that your simple question has been responded to like this, TESSschools.

I, for one, am welcome to answer your question.

I think that it would be interesting to have a seabird aviary. Ignoring how they might not coexist, you could have gulls, puffins, gannets, penguins, and even sea lions.

18. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member

1 Haast's Eagle;)

19. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member

Make that a pair. And throw some naughty children into the mix for "behavioural enrichment". I'll get the popcorn and the camera.:D

20. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member

And don't forget to chuck in one or two poachers in their as well!;)