Join our zoo community

Brookfield Zoo What To To With The Play Zoo?

Discussion in 'United States' started by pachyderm pro, 27 Oct 2016.

1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

15 years ago, The Hamil Family Play Zoo was opened at the Brookfield zoo. The theme was to get kids closer to smaller animals. However it fell short of this goal (Luckily the new wild encounters did a much better job of that.) Most people that are on Zoochat don't visit this exhibit, why? A few reasons

1. The species in the exhibit. This exhibit has Mostly small mammals, and reptiles in average habitats including Lemurs, armadillos, Insects, Turtles, Pythons, Ravens, and Domestic pets. A rather basic selection.

2. Its geared toward a younger audience. It has a dress up like animals or keepers room, a fake zoo director office, a play vet room, and a pretty nice green house. I don't see people of 13 or older getting much out of hear.

And the most important reason...

3. It costs... more... MONEY!

So what should be done with this exhibit? Please share your ideas, I will share mine in a little bit as well.

2. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Your description indicates that the exhibit failed for you. But you were not the intended audience. Did it fail for families with very young children? In general the education community and those concerned about introducing children to nature are very impressed by the exhibit.

3. pachyderm pro

I understand where you are coming from and I am sure familys love this exhibit. I just thought Wild encounters did this better, and I don't see a point to have to Childrens zoo like exhibits.

4. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

The two are fundamentally different in their intent.
    If you really want to understand then spend an hour in the Play Zoo some busy morning and observe and listen to the children and the adults. That's how I evaluate the effectiveness of exhibits for visitors.

Last edited: 27 Oct 2016
  5. pachyderm pro

I completely understand what you are saying. I really just don't have a good opinion on this exhibit, and feel it could be turned into something better.

6. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I at least think a few of the species here would belong in other parts of the zoo better. For example, maybe the some lemurs could be moved to Tropic World or Habitat Africa! The Forest. The Common Ravens would go great in an aviary by the Wolf Woods.

StoppableSan likes this.