Join our zoo community

What was the problem with the post about

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by Daktari JG, 28 Dec 2018.

1. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

letters for the dying kid?
    Is that against the boards rules?

2. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Some context would be nice, but for future reference, please send this in a private message to whoever this concerns instead of making a public thread about it.

Jambo likes this.
  3. Daktari JG

Someone, don't remember who, made a post about sending letters to a dying kid. It was quickly removed. I didn't originally post it, but neither do I see what was wrong with it.

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Not specifically against the rules - but we've long had a policy to not allow solicitation for charitable causes. While the post was not soliciting money - it was still asking people to perform a "charitable act".

The main reason for the policy is that we are a global site - most issues people might want to promote are very localised and this is not the appropriate venue for promoting them.

In this case, it was a request to send letters to a specific individual in the US. While I have no problem with the general intent - my view is that there are millions of people around the world who are just as much in need and people are best to focus on how they can help those in their own community.

Find a local charity in your country or city - do some research to ensure they are legitimate and don't spend all donated money on admin and marketing like some do! - then support them either financially or by donating your time or skills.

FBBird, Jambo and Brum like this.
  5. Daktari JG

ok thanks