Join our zoo community

What Would You Give To Have This Be You?

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Zooplantman, 17 Jan 2012.

1. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

The movie was, as David Brown put it, definitely one of the worst movies ever made. You should definitely read the book - it scarred me for life when it comes to gorillas, sort of like Stephen King's 'IT' and clowns!!

Ok, I agree that marauding was not the right word as it did indeed look civilised, and I do agree that they are habituated to humans. But man oh man, just imagine if they were in a bad mood, or if a tourist pissed them off. We'll read about a tourist being mauled in the Thai tiger temple in 2012, I am sure....

A 200kg gorilla sitting next to me would freak me out. That classic David Attenborough clip with them is amazing though.

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The 'Mountain' Gorillas in Bwindi, as seen here, are not quite the same in appearance as the Virunga ones. The jury still seems to be out as to their exact taxonomic classification, though they are normally included in the Mountain Gorilla population- as approximately one half of it.

3. Pertinax

There is quite a big difference between a wild troop of Gorillas, and Zoo Gorillas. Wild Gorillas, even habituated groups, have only limited contact with people, and as a result display an innate caution, whereas most Zoo Gorillas have lost that respect due to a life of close contact, so they are potentially more dangerous to people.

If that silverback had been annoyed, the most he is likely to have done under those conditions is run sideways past the man and push or hit out at him in passing, but of course the Gorillas were very relaxed so there wasn't much likelehood of that. Under most conditions, unhabituated wild Gorillas will flee from people and aggression is rare, though its not unheard of in certain situations e.g. hunting.

4. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing that up. The difference in behaviour between the wild and zoo gorillas (re: aggression) seems counter intuitive though. I wonder though, if these gorillas are so accustomed to being around humans, are they closer to wild gorillas or zoo gorillas?

Ann Littlewood, good point about them being sitting ducks for poachers. Another civil war in that part of the world, and that might be the last straw for gorillas. Maybe I should risk it and try to get close to them before they are all gone. :confused:

5. Pertinax

I would definately say closer to wild ones as they are 'wild' in every respect, except that they have some/occassional contact with humans.

I know with Chimpanzees, the BIG difference between zoo and wild chimps is that wild chimps don't know they are so much stronger than people, whereas Zoo chimps do. That is one reason why you can approach wild chimpanzees in relative safety whereas adults in zoos are very dangerous, plus the wild chimps, even habituated ones, remain cautious of people also. I suspect its the same with these Gorillas too.

6. tapirus

tapirus New Member

come on, im sure Hokitika is a lot better than Uganda

Last edited: 21 Jan 2012
  7. Terp

Terp Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hi Pertinax - to be honest, I wasn't aware this was under debate but it clearly appears to be. I've located a couple published papers online, one on mitochondrial DNA analysis and another on skeletal structures which both appear to indicate that results suggest the Bwindi gorilla is not distinct enough to be regarded as a separate sub-species. Though, I get a sense that the parameters in general of what makes a subspecies are sort of gray. It seems clear they the populations have been separated for quite some time, and have different diets, nesting behaviors, etc. Any idea of who might be currently working to describe otherwise?

Really interesting reading, appreciate your pointing this out. Ironically, this could have some (very minimal) implications from a tourism perspective - which in turns has implications on their conservation. I think most tourists are wanting to see the famed 'mountain gorillas' - and could lead a small subset of travelers to opt for Mgahinga or Vulcan over Bwindi.

8. Pertinax

1. Yes, this debate seems to have been going on a long time with no clear conclusion. Until quite recently the Bwindi gorillas were little known compared to their famous relatives, the Virunga gorillas, with very few photos recording their appearance. Superficially, the Bwindi population is said to share characteristics intermediate between both the others. From various photos and film like this video it looks to me as if they aren't as shaggy-coated as the Virunga gorillas(presumably they live at lower elevation?) and facially rather resemble Eastern Lowlands which have a longer smoother face. But presumably from the DNA tests they still remain as part of the Mountain Gorilla population though.

2. Agreed, the 'true' Volcano Gorillas are the ones most people would opt to see, given the choice. Personally I'd be equally happy with these though.;)

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the Bwindi gorillas are indeed at a much lower altitude. I did a search to find the actual elevations of their distribution and found this site Mountain Gorilla which says:

10. Pertinax

Thanks. So the Bwindi population's highest elevation is actually a little lower than the lowest of the Virunga's population-if you get my drift.;) Probably accounts for some of these differences in the two populations too.

11. Messy

Messy Member

This clip shows another habituated group who have a habit of visiting

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  12. Pertinax

Looks like two silverbacks and one female, unless there are more of the group out of view. They seem attracted to minerals in the brickwork...

13. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

While I love gorillas, I'm not too sure I'd want them eating my house. The insurance company wouldn't believe me!

:p

Hix

14. Terp

Terp Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This video is crazy! They may be a bit too habituated when they start eating the homes. I'm guessing this a lodge inside the DRC.

Great find, thanks for posting.

15. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

yes this troop lives in the eastern DRC. Info on the troop is here: Rugendofamily

A great video :)

16. Pertinax

These are the classic 'Beringei' gorillas. According to the info there are(or were) now only five group members, of which only one is a female. Its the remnants of the same group were 4 members were massacred in 2009.