Join our zoo community

what you look for in an exhibit

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Zoogoer2000, 7 Dec 2008.

1. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

I know we all have different views and opinions in what makes a good zoo exhibit,but I was just wondering what everybodys does look for?

What I Look For?

- Spacious size with room to roam while being appropriate for that species

- Fullness, I usually hate those big,huge paddocks that are ginormous but they contain nothing but grass,animals and emptiness.Usually I like if they contain some foliage and rocks plus some sort of water feature depending on the biome being depicted

- Good viewing which I think of as something creative and upclose like plexiglass and somethign to give an overview of the area like an overlook,lookout,bridge or viewing blind.

- Realism is something im very big on.I like exhibits that contain real trees but I don't mind the fake ones as long as they look realistic.Also I like zoo's that try to depict the animals natural habitat while not being fake and childish.

- Fluency in exhibit area's like Asian and Afrcian sections is another big thing.I hate when zoo's have exhibits set up so its like "oh here's the zebra exhibit and over there is the lion exhibit' without anytime of mixing the exhibits together to create one smooth area.

2. Leptonyx

Leptonyx Well-Known Member

What I look for in an exhibit, in addition to what you already posted :)

- Exhibits that take into account the weather conditions :) (kind of obvious- but I've seen a couple of roadside zoos in Ontario that don't even bother putting in shelters when we get rain/snow here :()

- Exhibit design that the animal will actually use. I've seen a couple of owl exhibits that look wonderful and full of greenery, but when you break it down there's really only two perches strong enough for them to perch on. On the same note, not re-using a past-animals exhibit for something of a completely different nature (ex., placing a snowy owl which is lives in the tundra, into a huge bushy exhibit that was previously used for great horned owls :()

- Something to entertain/enforce an animals' natural behavior.

-Somewhere where the animal can go and feel safe/not exposed. One-way glass is amazing...and I always feel bad for the animals in the older style cages where they're surrounded on all sides.

- Something interactive for the VISITORS :) Even if it's just simple trivia questions posted around the exhibit, I think more people would appreciate the animals better that way.

3. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

-Spacious enclosures were the animals exhibited can run/fly uninhibited while being safely enclosed

-Privacy; is there somewhere the animal can get away from visitors?

-Signage; this is a big thing for me. Not too many people have heard of Dholes, for example, and hence just think they're "just a fox" or "just a dog" without learning a thing about them. Although there will always be those who ignore the signs . . .

-Enrichment, enrichment, enrichment.

-Exhibit creativity; not all tiger exhibits have to look like abandoned temples :p

-Are there safety barriers?

4. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

I like exhibits with a clear purpose. It doesn't really matter what it's illustrating but this can greatly enhance the visitor experience. For example, it is far more educational to have a rainforest house than have these animals scattered across the zoo.

I also like enclosures with indoor and outdoor areas for the animals as it means that they have the choice.

Space to perform natural behaviours and gain privacy when needed.

Social groupings like those found in the wild. It's no good keeping gorillas in pairs, on the other hand, i also like enclosures which keep animals such as jaguars on their own as it is far more natural than pairs.

Nice looking enclosures are also great and especially when they're natural. I'm sure orang-utans would rather have live trees than scaffolding, for example.

Easy access and simple to maintain. If a new habitat looks great but can not be kept this way then it is pointless.

Good keeper facilities. Too many zoos build their habitats which are then impossible for the poor keepers.

Interpretive activities for the visitors. Signs need to be interesting and informative in order to get visitors to read them. Often interactive signs are better as the visitor is more involved - this can be as simple as flipping over panels.

Enclosures which mimic an animals natural habitat. If an animal comes from the savannah then a field is great but i have seen too many bongo, okapi and others displayed in this way.

Most important is enrichment. All of the others are pointless without it as the animal will get bored of its surroundings eventually. It also gives the visitors something to see.

And i've probably forgotten a few.

5. drzoomi

drzoomi Well-Known Member

Using what you have in the best way- old zoo's have some problems with the historical buildings, i love it when they use it in the right way - making it a part of the exhibit or make it for smaller animals.

I love mixed exhibits- when they work, they can be very educative and raise intrest between some of the animals in the exhibit.

too croweded exhibits are not good, as people said ,you have to limit the number of animals in the exhibit.

make the visitors think, make them get intrested. good signs make the exhibit better.

green , green and again green......its a must in the modern zoo

I like underwater viewing- elephants, seals, hippo's, tigers . it makes you see the animal in a different way.

a good exhibit is when the need of the animals and the visitors is combining in the best way.

6. foz

foz Well-Known Member

- space (obviously, but not too big i can't understand a small cat or something in a massive enclosure where no-one can see them)
    - signs and education are really important too me and chould be acessed from whatevere way you look at the exhibit (you can not escape the signs :eek:)
    - and above all for me is functional, i don't mind it not being natural as long as it encourages natural behaviour and is FUNCTIONAL :D

7. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My two penny worth.
    First and foremost - safety and security, for the animals, the visitors and the zoo staff. All need to be safe and to feel safe too.
    Then the provision of whatever the animals require to show as much of their natural behaviour as possible - obviously of benefit to the animals, but also the best way to interest visitors. This means that the design, furnishing and maintenance of the exhibit must be tailored to the species it exhibits. This condition means that mixed species exhibits are hard to get right - but not impossible in many cases.
    Finally the aesthetics matter too. A representation of the species' natural habitat is desirable, but I prefer to see natural vegetation with native species rather than artificial representations of exotics. I dislike designer cages, whether they be Victorian 'monkey temples' or modernist designs with synthetic materials. Good lighting and a range of viewpoints are nice.
    I suppose it's possible to have too many signs, but I don't think it's likely to happen. Different shapes sizes, heights, styles and information contents are all good.

Alan