Join our zoo community

What Zoo Animals will you keep in a ''Micro zoo''?

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 16 Jul 2016.

1. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The micro zoo I shared is located in California, which is relatively warm. They have an indoor exhibit for the smaller animals that need a climate controlled habitat.

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Non-venomous snakes like boa are OK too. It just needs existence of heated room that visitors can go into.
    Macaws are rather loud and often pluck their feathers - but are popular, if you can "rescue" some no longer wanted tame pets, I would add it.
    Flamingos depend on solid source of water, if you have stream or your own water-well, you can afford them. Their dayly upkeep is not more costly than similar sized waterfowl. Also initial investment would be higher, so up to your budget.

Leopards are very dangerous despite their smaller size (while pumas seem calmer on average). If you can´t give them too much area, you should compensate it by hight and many inner climbing structures. Their enclosure must be very solid, with full metal net over it. Leopards paws can never reach visitors, so either glass wall or fine mesh or double bars (don´t believe visitors will behave reasonably, alsways expect the worse). At least 2 boxes/cages per animal so you can clean them. Padlocks on all doors. Liabilty insurance. Pray that they don´t become seriously ill otherwise you will pay small fortune to vets able/willing to handle them. And visit at least 2 zoos before you build anything, and copy their system of doors and safety protocol for large cats. Escaped serval will be headache, but escaped leopard might cost you zoo licence or land you in jail.

Nikola Chavkosk likes this.
  3. DragonDust101

DragonDust101 Well-Known Member

I really should continue this, but i'm stressed about what animals need what area! I also might change some exhibits

4. DragonDust101

Largest Carnivores-
    Asiatic Black Bear, Sun Bear, American Black Bear, Leopards, Cougar, Maned Wolf, Dhole

Largest Herbivores-
    Medium Antelope, Pygmy Hippo, Deer, Bison, Elk

5. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Czech republic has at least two micro-zoos: Protivin crocodile zoo and Prague aquarium. Both are basically single buildings.

I thought that another tiny but good zoo might specialize in Madagascar animals. It would have: several walk-through lemur exhibits, feeding of lemurs under supervision, public feeding of grey-headed lovebirds, one big Nile crocodile in an aquarium, fossas, treetop walk through the lemur exhibit (or a rope park going inside lemur enclosure), night exhibit for aye-ayes, mouse lemurs and jumping rats, small tropical hall for birds and herps; pool for Malagasy waterfowl with a reedy island mimicking the natural habitat for Alaotra bamboo lemurs.

6. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

And don't forget Terrarium Praha, a fantastic place that houses mainly reptiles but here can be seen from lemurs to echidnas (and once hold, behind the scenes, the mythical Striped Possum (Dactylopsila trivirgata) that I was not allowed to see :( )

7. DragonDust101

I'd actually like to scratch bison and elk off of my list. What was I thinking?

8. DragonDust101

a well -run micro zoo that I have seen, although being 3 acres over Nikola's parameters, is Zoo America at Hershey Park. Suprisingly, even under corporate running (Hershey) They keep their animals very well. They prove that black bears and cougars can be kept in zoos of that size. In fact, most of the area is used by a small group of pronghorn!

9. DragonDust101

Other large animals there include a large setup for gray wolves

10. DragonDust101

Here's a good List for size charts-
    Birds- anything up to a stork
    Reptiles- Nothing more than 6 feet long (Small Caimans and Monitor Lizards are biggest)
    Amphibious- Anything, except giant salamanders.
    Carnivorous Mammals-
    No bears bigger than Asian Blacks
    No cats bigger than leopards
    No dogs bigger than maned wolves
    All vivverids and Mustelids
    Herbivorous Mammals-
    Nothing bigger than African Forest Buffalo and Pygmy hippo, all primates besides great apes.

11. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

We could have an aquarium featuring little blue penguins, blacktip reef sharks, and moon jellyfish

12. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My Animals:

Mammals
    Pygmy Hippo
    Bingo (Eitheir Species)
    Eastern Grey Kangaroo
    Leopard (Any Species)
    Jaguar
    Civet (Any Species)
    Koala (Any Sub Species)
    Eastern Bettong
    Greater Bilby
    Quoll (Any Species)
    Long Beaked Echidna (Eitheir Species)
    Short Beaked Echidna
    Black Buck
    Goodfellow's Tree Kangaroo
    Malayan Tapir
    Squrriel Monkey
    Lar Gibbon
    Thomphson's Gazelle

To be continued...

Nikola Chavkosk likes this.
  13. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

All together??? Very bad combination of animals! Or do you mean each one in different tanks?

14. DragonDust101

You'd have a hard time with getting most of those into micro zoo....
    Thompson's Gazelle and Blackbuck need at least two acres to roam in... Bongo are the throw largest antelope after eland and giant eland... And most of the marsupials would be hard to get.... Everything else seems attaimable

15. animal_expert01

All of those marsupiasaks would be fairly easy to source except for the long Beaked Echidna. The hardest thing would be the Pygmy hippo and th Jaguar.

16. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The Long-beaked Echidna is not a marsupial, animal_expert01 :p

Giant Panda likes this.
  17. animal_expert01

Opps! Sorry they are monotremes! Anyway so then none of the marsupials would be particularly hard to source. Also Tea Loving Dave, you are really harsh. That is a simple mistake to make. So please one day can you actually think about somebody else, other that you for a change? Because you are constantly correcting people in extremely harsh ways! So please continue to correct people but don't be so harsh about it.

18. TeaLovingDave

Harshness was not intended.

In any case, I think the Eastern Bettong would be pretty hard to source too - perhaps the Northern Quoll as well. According to Chlidonias' devoted thread on the topic of native mammals neither is common in captivity.

19. animal_expert01

You are right about the eastern bettong and the northern quoll, however eastern quolls are relatively common in captivity, so they would be the quoll species I would most likely be able to get my hands on.

20. TeaLovingDave

Those are the only quolls I have been fortunate enough to see, thus far :) nice species.