Join our zoo community

Asahiyama Zoo Whats everyone's opinion on asahiyama zoo.

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Idk, 16 Jul 2021.

Tags:
  1. Idk

Idk Active Member

I've never been to this zoo but it's one of the most famous zoo in japan.But from what I've seen their enclosures are not natural at all and look like their made for customer experience.But then again some people say the exhibits give the animals their natural activities such as the orangutans have the ability to climb high so there calm,etc.So I'm really torn on what I think of this zoo.And would like to know everyone's opinion.

2. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I am one of the very few people in this site who believes in that unnatural=bad. However their indoor orangutan and chimpanzee enclosures are not that appealing. Their hippopotamus pool small. The pallas cat enclosure is atrocious (There is only a leaning log for the cat to climb). I love their gibbon, seal, and penguin enclosure. It blows that the warthog passed away.

3. Idk

Idk Active Member

I think if natural enclosures are better or not depends on the animal.I think the smarter the animal the more natural it should be.

4. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's why the indoor enclosure of both great apes is atrocious.

5. Idk

Idk Active Member

They could definitely make it better by adding soil and making the roof into a greenhouse structure and planting more greenery.(which I heard is the plan for maruyama zoos orangutan house)