Join our zoo community

Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden What's Gnu at the Cincinnati Zoo? - 2012

Discussion in 'United States' started by Kudu21, 4 Jan 2012.

1. disneyzoofan

disneyzoofan Member

Do they allow flash? I read that an aye-ayes eyes have something in them that reflects light. I didn't know if that would assist him, making it less affected by a bright flash or not. As I said I didn't want to scare him, just was more hoping to add it to my collection of animal pictures. I try to avoid flash now more and more, as though it makes it easier I don't want to hurt the animal. I know fish, because they have no eyelids are affected quite badly if flash is used.

A few times I have used flash accidentally too as I thought the stupid thing was off.

2. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo allows it. Is the Cincinnati Zoo your home zoo?

3. disneyzoofan

disneyzoofan Member

No, I actually live about a days drive away from Cincinnati. I will be going on a long car ride vacation in the future and was planning on visiting the zoo in transit down to my destination.

4. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Due to the warm weather, the Sumatran Rhinoceroses are back on exhibit for the first time this year.

The daily giraffe feedings have also started for the season.

5. disneyzoofan

disneyzoofan Member

Hi, thanks Moebelle for the responses. I have been to the Cincinnati Zoo before, though I don't think the Aye-Aye was there when I was. Could you go a bit more into that "festival of Lights" comment, as I might be in the area that time of the year if that works better. Is it just glass in front of his enclosure or are there bars or wire? Thank you for the comments, I'm also interested in a few of the other animals like the Sumatran Rhino, the sifakas, aardwolf, fossa etc. If there are animals you specifically find to be in great exhibits or rare, let me know :) twice we've tried seeing the rhinos but they are never there when we've checked though those were often times during the winter.

6. Kudu21

The zoo has a new Barn Owl chick. It is currently on display in the Nursery.

7. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

that's such great news that the sumatran rhinoceros is on display!!!! :) thks kudu

8. Kudu21

More news involving the Sumatran Rhinoceroses!

The zoo is and has been working actively to breed Suci and Ipuh. At this point Suci is receiving ultrasounds several times a week in hopes of detecting a pregnancy. The biggest issue the zoo is facing at this point is Ipuh's age. Due to his age, an estimated 30-35, they've found that he tires quite easily.The zoo plans to move forward with artificial insemination if she does not take to natural breeding soon.

In other exciting news, the zoo is also working to breed the Aardwolves.

9. Ohiozoos

Ohiozoos Member

Aren't Suci and Ipuh related? And if they are isn't that a little weird. Is it really to the point where they need to start considering inbreeding?

10. Kudu21

Ipuh and Suci are father and daughter. The zoo's famous Dr. Terri Roth said in an interview that they are not too worried about the fact that Ipuh and Suci are related. She says the Emi and Ipuh were unrelated enough that inbreeding shouldn't be that much of a factor on Suci's calf. She says that in the future they hope to breed Suci's calf with an unrelated animal, and by doing this they hope to "reverse" the inbreeding. The zoo is interested in bringing in new animals, but at this point in time there is too much red tape in their way.

In other news, the African Penguins went back on display today.

Last edited: 23 Mar 2012
  11. gorgeousingray

gorgeousingray Well-Known Member

is there a video available with the interview of Dr. Roth? I would love to watch it!

12. Moebelle

My reaction was :p:D:):):D:D

This is amazing news! So glad that they decided to continue breeding. I hope she gets pregnant and it is a successful birth. I wonder if CREW is near succeeding on working on transferring sperm across seas.

13. Kudu21

There is not a video of the interview, but here's the issue of The ZA Today, a newsletter put out by the Zoo Academy, that the interview is in.

http://blog.cincinnatizoo.org/wp-content/uploads/ZA-Today-newsletter.pdf

Here's a video of Thane Maynard feeding and talking about the zoo's Alligator Snapping Turtle in Manatee Springs.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  14. Kudu21

The new spring 2012 map is finally up on the zoo's website.
    http://cincinnatizoo.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/2012-map-spring.pdf

The zoo has a new Welcome Center where visitors can find out information about special activities, group events, and exhibit updates.

The bongos and zebras have been outside lately due to the warm weather and are visible from the zoo train.

The rest of the animal encounters, minus the Sumatran rhino encounter, will start April 1st. This year the zoo will be offering a new bull elephant encounter in addition to the normal elephant encounter at the cow yard.

Last edited: 25 Mar 2012
  15. Kudu21

More news!

The zoo's Steller's Sea Eagles have laid two eggs. A camera monitor of the nest has been set up and can be viewed from the neighboring Andean Condor aviary.

Klyde the Black Rhinoceros has joined the animals currently off exhibit due to construction.

Here's a little more information about the zoo's new Welcome Center.
    Stop By The New Welcome Center - The Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden

16. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

17. Moebelle

18. Moebelle

Sorry for the late reply.

The exhibit is full behind glass and it is a pretty large exhibit, especially for the other two small species. The viewing is okay but if you look at my map of the Africa building you can see that there is barely any room to take a pic of the exhibit square on.

As for the rare species and their locations; here is a list.

Aardwolf-Night Hunters
    Chinese alligator-Reptile House
    Coquerel's sifaka-Jungle Trails
    Florida manatee-Manatee Springs
    Fossa-Night Hunters
    Garnett's galago-Night Hunters/Jungle Trails
    Grey's crowned guenon-Gorilla World
    Mexican wolf-Wolf Woods
    Mueller's gibbon-Jungle Trails
    Pallas' cat-Night Hunters
    Potto-Night Hunters/Jungle Trails
    Przewalski's horse-Wildlife Canyon
    Sichuan takin-Wildlife Canyon
    Snow leopard-Cat Canyon
    Sumatran rhinos-Wildlife Canyon
    Yucatan neotropical rattlesnake-Reptile House
    White lion/Southeast African lion-Siegfried and Roy's White Lions of Timbavati

As for great exhibits.

Bonobo-Greatest one in the world. Super lush/Very large/Great climbing opportunities/Indoor habitat viewing
    Red panda-Two lush, overly-natural looking habitats with loud flowing water from the lake. Real plants from China and real trees for tall climbing. Best in the world.
    Sumatran rhino-Large canopies to protect them from the sun. Many watering and mud holes. Just completely covered in mud to keep the rhinos cool.

19. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

I know this has already been posted. But with Sabu at the zoo again for 4 and a half years has there been any progress with Jati and Sabu producing another calf?

20. disneyzoofan

disneyzoofan Member

Thanks, if my family is able to visit it appears like we probably should focus on the Night Hunters/Jungle Trails area and the Sumatran Rhinos. Are there times in which those animals are likely to be out? as I said we'll be just passing through town, and due to health of one person in the group we usually can't spend all that long at the zoo. Help is appreciated though. I am interested in galago, potto, sifaka, aye-aye, fossa and ardwolf, and the rhinos obviously. Is there a high percentage chance of seeing them or at least some of them and getting pictures? As I understand it the aye-aye isn't super likely. Also is the Stellars Sea eagle on display, or is he part of a bird show? Thanks :)