Join our zoo community

Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden What's Gnu At The Cincinnati Zoo? - 2013

Discussion in 'United States' started by Kudu21, 3 Jan 2013.

1. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Today was Dollar Day at the zoo, I believe.

~Thylo:cool:

2. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

I feel so sorry for you.....

3. ThylacineAlive

Why?:confused:

4. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm not sure why he said that but I would definitely feel sorry for you if you actually went on dollar day. IT IS MADNESS.

5. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

- That must be like free day at the bronx zoo. Every wednesday is suggestsed admission day which means you dont have to pay and many people do not. I went once and left the zoo within an hour as it was so horribly conjested.

6. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

New video on the new lion exhibit:

"Special Treat for "John" the Lion":

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  7. ThylacineAlive

Bronx has a free day.....

8. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

Yes look right here. I would suggest not going as it is horribly crowded. On these days is when the locals all come to the zoo. You get thousands of large families with strollers and can barely see the animals.
    bronxzoo.com by Mobify

9. ThylacineAlive

You learn something new everyday. I would not dare go to any zoo on a free day (not counting the Smithsonian National Zoo and Saint Louis Zoo of course:p) except the UK's South Lakes Wild Animal Park but that's because of the things I've heard about it's owner....

10. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

All zoos get terribly on dollar days. At John Ball we do dollar day on a friday which makes it even more conjested. I feel bad for anyone that accidentally wanders upon a dollar day.

11. Moebelle

I went through the zoo six times today and have a good number of updates.

-The Brazilian Pink Tarantula replaced the Magnificent Flower Beetles.
    -Green June Bugs replaced the Domino Beetles.
    -American Burying Beetles replaced the Goliath Tarantula.
    -My apologies to ThylacineAlive. You were right, the Feather-tail Gliders did replace the Sugar Gliders in Jungle Trails.
    -At each ape exhibit in Jungle Trails there are mounted Ipads up for guests to interact on. On these Ipads features family trees, the bios of all the apes, how we can help save them, and it lets you create you very own "Super Primate". All your actions are shown on a larger screen above.
    -I saw the yellow-backed duiker today and he was being unusually active.
    -For ThylacineAlive... The birds in the Manatee Springs greenhouse are Baltimore Orioles, and Indigo Buntings.
    -There is a small hill that was built at the front of the black rhino exhibit. The rhinos won't be able to climb up it so I assume that this is where there will be a new encounter.
    -There are two unidentified birds in the South America atrium in Wings of the World. One of them is a large, blue dove, and the other looked like sort of like a Blue Cattle Egret. It has the body of one, but also has black spots over it's eyes.
    -The Black-and-white ruffed lemurs are back on display.
    -The newer species in the Reptile House is a Barbour's Tropical Racer.
    -The sign for Phase IV of Africa is now up. I looked at the construction site carefully and there will definitely be enough space for all three species (crocs, hippos, wild dogs). The hippo exhibit might be larger than St. Louis's will probably be compared to the one in Busch Gardens.

12. ThylacineAlive

Of course, two more species I really want to see going on-exhibit right after I visit:p

Explain "Super Primate".

Is it unusual for Yellow-Backed Duikers to be active?

Thanks for getting those, Moebelle.

13. Moebelle

-This is sort of a game that allows you to build your animal that has different body parts of different primates. For example today I saw one that had the head of a Ruffed Lemur, ears of a Loris, arms of a Gibbon, tail of a Lemur, and the legs of a Bonobo.

-To be honest I don't know:D I haven't seen it in two years.

Birdsage likes this.
  14. TeamTapir223

TeamTapir223 Well-Known Member

-The sign for Phase IV of Africa is now up. I looked at the construction site carefully and there will definitely be enough space for all three species (crocs, hippos, wild dogs). The hippo exhibit might be larger than St. Louis's will probably be compared to the one in Busch Gardens.[/QUOTE]

We are very excited for the Hippo exhibit in Cincy,especially since it appears they might have been removed from the Columbus Zoos future plans.We wonder how the design will compare to the Memphis Zoos Zambezi Hippo Camp which is set to break ground this spring ?

Team Tapir223

15. jusko88

jusko88 Well-Known Member

16. ThylacineAlive

17. Moebelle

18. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

We are very excited for the Hippo exhibit in Cincy,especially since it appears they might have been removed from the Columbus Zoos future plans.We wonder how the design will compare to the Memphis Zoos Zambezi Hippo Camp which is set to break ground this spring ?

Team Tapir223[/QUOTE]

Well, let's hope that they can get the cash together to make it happen. I agree that the space is there. I just went to the zoo on Friday, and the whole complex is coming along wonderfully. That said, I've learned to temper my expectations with these things. There was a post here a month or so ago with an article stating that the zoo is operating over budget. This frightens me a little. The hippo exhibit was probably the most expensive thing in the plans for Africa. The filtration systems for hippoquariums are outrageous.

I look forward to seeing the final product of Africa, but I wouldn't be surprised id things stalled a year or two longer.

19. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If you did not open the article, here's the direct link to the video on Harapan's return:

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  20. Moebelle

I figured out that one of the two unidentifiable species in the South American atrium is a Peruvian Pigeon. It used to be in the Butterfly Rainforest exhibit in World of the Insect. There was also an unknown bird in the Australasia atrium. It looked a lot like a Goldie's Lorikeet.