Join our zoo community

Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden What's Gnu at the Cincinnati Zoo - 2015

Discussion in 'United States' started by Moebelle, 9 Jan 2015.

1. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A large-spotted genet has replaced the tayra in Night Hunters

2. ctfctf7

ctfctf7 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is anyone familiar with the zoo's plans in terms of their elephant program?
    I know they've been trying for a while to breed Jati and Sabu but i also thought i remember reading somewhere that they don't want to pair the two considering how Sabu's has sired calves that have all contracted EEHV. I'm not sure of the exhibit's location or of any other available space but does the zoo have any expansion plans ahead for the elephants?

Also is CREW still performing ai's on Manjula? I'd love to see the zoo bring in a male and attempt natural breeding-though i know indian rhino pairing and success might be just as difficult. Also what ever came of the space that use to be Nicki's yard?

Thanks!

3. Moebelle

This was the first year I've never seen Jati in Sabu's habitat for breeding opportunities, yet again, don't take my word for it because they only allow her in the exhibit 3 times a year.
    The only available space that is left for expanding Sabu's yard lies at the front of his exhibit where okapis used to reside during the Vanishing Giants days. According to the zoo's master plan, of which Elephant Reserve is called "Asia" in the plan, it shows his yard being expanded to that space. ALSO don't take it's word for it because for the last few projects that actually exist today, Cat Canyon, Cheetah Encounter, and Africa, while these projects were followed through, none of them turned out the way the map displayed.

As for Nikki's two yards, the right yard was combined to be part of a newly expanded okapi/duiker exhibit. The left side of the yard is still under construction. While the yard is well maintenanced and the weeds are under control, I believe they want to fill in the former waterhole considering black rhinos aren't exactly known for wading in deep mud/water (just sitting and or rubbing in a shallow pile of mud). The empty exhibit will be used for Kifaru, the new black rhinoceros that just recently transferred from Zoo Atlanta. Because his exhibit isn't finished, the zoo is rotating him with his future mate, Seyia, in her yard.

As for the AI situation, I have no clue what's going on or if there's any progress whatsoever. Let's say she was pregnant, it would still be too early to see any signs.

4. ctfctf7

Thanks for the speedy reply, Moe!
    Do you also know or have an idea what will become of the Sumatran rhino space? Will capybara occupy it?

5. Moebelle

Nope! It was recently leaked that a giant anteater will return for the first time in 8 years to take his place.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2015
  6. Moebelle

The anteater has been in quarantine ever since the plans were made official for Harapan to leave (May-June) and based on the fact that their geographically residential neighbors (Capybara) are outside during this cold weather, I suspect it'll be out as well

7. ctfctf7

I was hoping maybe it would be used for a tapir species-the holding and pool is appropriate and the anteater could share with the capybara but I guess it will be nice either way!

8. Moebelle

Malayan tapir was actually the rumored species on this website for his replacement. I thought the same thing as well for coexisting the two species (three including the crested the screamers) but they have to fill in that space somehow.

9. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I can confirm that they were, in fact, put out together this year. I saw them together on several occasions.

10. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

How many years had the zoo been trying to breed the elephants for without any results? It would suck if there were a calf but it just died of EEHV after how long it seems they have been trying to breed them for.

11. Moebelle

After Ganesh was born at the zoo in 1998, Sabu had left the same year and was transferred. He was absent from Cincinnati for 8 straight years (1999-2002-Louisville, 2002-2007-Dickerson Park Zoo). At the Dickerson Park Zoo, Sabu did successfully breed with Moola, and sired Nisha in 2006. She also died from EEHV. I'm sure Kudu can give the correct answer of when the zoo exactly tried to start breeding Jati with Sabu after his return, but this is just to give you an estimate.

12. Moebelle

It is official... the Cincinnati Zoo no longer has a Sumatran Rhinoceros. The zoo's announcement didn't specify his current location, but his 50 hour journey to Sumatra has begun..

Last edited: 30 Oct 2015
  13. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

Godspeed and Good luck Harapan. May Sumantra once again become full of Rhinos. Maybe I'll come see you someday.

14. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

15. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

This is one of those question that might be a bit obvious to those who know, but here goes:
    Is it possible to visit the Sumatran Rhino Sanctuary in Way Kambas? Or are there no rhinos to be seen in captivity anywhere in the world now?

EDIT: I have found at least one account of visiting on TripAdvisor. Of course, the question then is how much it costs...

16. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

yes you can. It is just an additional cost to the other costs of visiting the park. I haven't been to Way Kambas since 2009 though, so my costs won't be relevant any more.

17. wensleydale

18. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think after what happened to Suci that it is safer for him to be in his (near) natural environment in Way Kambas. I guess though that in reality his role there will chiefly be as an insurance against anything happening to Andalas.

19. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Harapan has finally arrived safe and well at Way Kambas

20. wensleydale

Good to know. I'll bet he's happy to stretch his legs now that he finally got there. I know his brother got anxious during his transport there, I hope he had a better ride.