Join our zoo community

Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden What's Gnu at the Cincinnati Zoo - 2016

Discussion in 'United States' started by Kudu21, 6 Jan 2016.

1. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some new updates from the zoo:

-There are possible pregnancies in Night Hunters, but nothing can be reported on as of yet.
    -The Baird's tapir from Sedgwick County will no longer be coming. Instead, "Walter" the warthog from the interpretive department will be taking up residence in the former Sumatran rhinoceros yard.
    -The zoo has confirmed that "Andalas" has, finally, successfully bred "Rosa"!
    -The Steller's sea eagle chick should be fledged by around Mother's Day.
    -The little blue penguin colony is looking towards its most successful breeding year yet.
    -A few kea chicks are currently being hand-raised, and if the staff feels comfortable with the signs the birds are showing, when the birds re-nest, the second clutches will be parent-raised.
    -Five Gouldian finches have fledged recently
    -A spur-winged plover that was hand-raised at the zoo this spring is now on exhibit in the Grasslands exhibit in Wings of The World.
    -The young male rhinoceros hornbill from the Australasian exhibit has moved to the Palm Beach Zoo on breeding recommendations.
    -Southern rockhopper and king penguin swaps will be occurring over the course of the year based upon new SSP recommendations.
    -A pair of sakis is currently in quarantine.
    -As is the female tamandua for the interpretive collection

Last edited: 18 Apr 2016
  2. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Any clue where the Sakis might go? I have yet to see the Ruffed lemurs outside yet this year so I wouldn't be surprised if they were moved there.

3. Kudu21

I do not know for sure where the sakis will be exhibited, but that would be a pretty good guess. I'd say they'll either go in there or in with the tamarins.

4. Kudu21

The first greater flamingo egg of the season has been laid.

5. Kudu21

Update on the remaining cheetah cubs from the zoo's Facebook page:

6. GraysonDP

GraysonDP Well-Known Member

Why is the tapir no longer coming?

7. Kudu21

I honestly do not know. I was only told that he would no longer be coming, so "Walter" the warthog would be placed into the former Sumatran rhinoceros yard instead.

8. Kudu21

"Zoo Babies" starts tomorrow, and with that, the list of babies has been put up on the zoo's website. Those that have not been mentioned previously are emperor scorpions and Anderson's crocodile newts.

9. Kudu21

The zoo's two young Masai giraffe cows, Cece and Jambo, are pregnant with their first calves and due sometime this summer.

Last edited: 2 May 2016
  10. Kudu21

Three of the remaining female African painted dog pups will be leaving for other zoos. "Selina" and "Quinn" will be heading to The Wilds to join a male coming in from another zoo, and "Ivy" will be going to the Honolulu Zoo. Sometime over the next few months, the zoo will be receiving two males to be introduced to "Imara" and the last remaining pup, "Lucy".

11. Moebelle

I'm not quite all the way done with the zoo, but Crowned Guenons have replaced the Lion-tailed Macaques in Jungle Trails. Also leading to the trail are several new signs saying, "Head on Down to Jungle Trails". One of the animals on it is a White-faced Saki. The ruffed lemurs have yet to be put back on exhibit along with the macaw. There are still Guenons in gorilla World.

Edit: Ruddy Shelducks have been added with the black rhinos.

Update: Manjula the Indian Rhino was off exhibit.

The Quince Monitor in Dragons! was taken off exhibit as well.

An Ornate Horned Frog replaces the poison dart frogs in World of the Insect

While I was in the Insect building, I ran into a familiar docent. Nothing is set in stone but apparently the Gorilla Exhibit plans have been slightly changed. Guests will be able to walk nearly all the way around the exhibit and the current yard may remain an outdoor habitat while the current guest viewing will be converted into an atrium for people to see them year round.

Last edited: 8 May 2016
  12. Moebelle

The fill up the two yards for now, the zoo is keeping one white Tiger in each exhibit until the Malayans are ready to be put out.

13. Kudu21

Thank you for all of the updates!

It will be interesting to see what all will happen with Jungle Trails this season, as there are quite a few uncertainties at the moment. I find it intriguing that some of the guenons have returned to Jungle Trails, given that the last I heard, they were trying to incorporate them all into one group. Did this fail, I wonder? How many guenons were in each exhibit? Does this mean that the macaques are now gone? Could it be that they are moving the guenons ahead of the Gorilla World renovations?

Speaking of the Gorilla World renovations, I am very interested to see what exactly these renovations will entail once they come to light. Neither the previous plans nor the plans you have just discussed have been particularly clear... Just to clarify, when you say that the docent said that the current gorilla yard will remain an outdoor enclosure while the current visitor area will be turned into an atrium for year-round viewing, does that mean that the current visitor area will somehow be redeveloped to include a day room for the gorillas as well as guest viewing? How exactly will the exhibit be able to be viewed from nearly all around when the entire backside of the enclosure is the holding building?

I'm also surprised to hear that they have separated "Popsie" and "Akere"! They have been together their entire lives, so I am wondering how they are handling the separation. I'm also incredibly surprised that the new Malayan tigers haven't started going out on exhibit yet. They have been at the zoo for quite some time now!

14. Moebelle

In Jungle Trails there were 2 Guenons and the typical 3 were in Gorilla World

15. Kudu21

Hmm, I wonder if this just means that the introduction between the two groups failed? It will be nice to see at least some of the guenons in the much nicer exhibit in Jungle Trails.... I hope the concrete monkey exhibits are something that is tackled with the Gorilla World renovation...

In other news, the female southern tamandua, a two-year-old named "Isla", has started making rounds around the zoo as a part of the interpretive collection. No word on when the male will join her.

16. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. Kudu21

-While the Linne's two-toed sloths are off exhibit for breeding, the exhibit for resident sloth "Moe" has been expanded; the space available to her has likely doubled with this expansion.
    -The zoo has installed a series of tents overlooking the giraffe yard for special events and overnights... I believe it will be called Twiga Overlook... It's at least Twiga something!
    -The zoo has officially made the shift to protected contact with its three Asian elephant cows.
    -The zebras will be off exhibit until further notice.

18. Kudu21

The signage for the warthog is up in the former Sumatran rhino yard. I did not see him, so I cannot say whether or not he is actually on exhibit yet or not.

19. Kudu21

The former Indian rhinoceros yard (Nikki's yard) is being renovated for Manjula, the zoo's current Indian rhinoceros. Manjula's yard is being combined with the current Grèvy's zebra yard to provide the zebras with more space.

20. Moebelle

I find that surprising because in my opinion, the zebras have an adequate amount of space for the 2 of them. I would much prefer to see Red River hogs back in their former habitat.