Join our zoo community

Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden Cincinnati Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by Moebelle, 29 Dec 2017.

1. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What my last post was;) the new Galapagos tortoise expansion.

EsserWarrior likes this.
  2. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ah, I see. ;)

It'll be fun seeing all of the new exhibits very soon, I'm extremely excited to Cincinnati Zoo. (As it is the zoo I would love to work at once I'm out of college.)

3. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Margay is off exhibit for a new species coming soon
    (Also good luck as it is almost impossible to get a job here lol)

EsserWarrior likes this.
  4. EsserWarrior

Do you know what species that is? Also, when does the species plan on being on exhibit? I would like to plan my trip accordingly.

(Also, thanks for wishing me luck! I've got around seven or so years to wait, anyways.)

5. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

6. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

7. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have a feeling it is an exhibit expansion/extensive renovation (next big project definitely isn't elephants, at least not yet...)

EsserWarrior likes this.
  8. TigerValley98

TigerValley98 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

9. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I really hope it's a plan to develop the old Safari Lot. It's the last frontier of unused land at the zoo. I'd love to see a neotropical or Asian complex back there.

10. bgeezle513

bgeezle513 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I always wanted the back parking lot land to be used for the gorillas but that's not happening so hopefully a new exhibt.

StoppableSan likes this.
  11. Moebelle

I wanted to announce this as soon as possible. Only a few minutes into the announcement, this is what I understand is happening so far. $50 million was donated to the zoo for developing new/expanded areas for an Australia exhibit (will replace Wildlife Canyon), rhino exhibits, penguin exhibit, and most importantly... expansion of the Elephant complex. More details to come.

12. Moebelle

Here are the plans:
    http://cincinnatizoo.org/more-home-to-roam/

Here's what's going to change:

a. Wildlife Canyon will be converted into Roo Vallery, a 15,000 square foot walkthrough yard for kangaroos. Little penguins from the Children's Zoo will join this exhibit. The area will also come with a rope course. The physical plans imply that Eagle Eyrie may remain. It will open in 2020.
    b. The parking lot next to the hospital will be converted into an 1,800 car garage (rumored for at least 10 years now)
    c. Lords of the Arctic will be renovated to give the Polar bears more room. Natural substrate will be added and it implies there will be two yards.
    d. Some of Rhino Reserve's exhibits will be combined to create a multi-species yard for black rhinos, zebras, etc. I presume other zebras will take over the current Indian Rhino yard - Okapis, bongos, and flamingos will remain. The two current black rhino yards will be combined. The current zebra yard will act as second yard for their male. This will be completed by 2023.
    e. The sea lion exhibit will be renovated.
    f. And best of all! The Safari Parking lot and the rest of that cornered zone (some of it), will be turned into two massive yards for their elephants! The area will be called Elephant Trek. What's actually better is that Elephant Reserve will ALSO remain and the yards will be expanded. Elephant Trek will replace the white lions exhibit, and it will circle around Manatee Springs, and it will be five times the size of what Elephant Reserve is. It will be completed by 2025.

Last edited: 7 Jun 2018
  13. EsserWarrior

So species like Takin, Visayan Warty Pig, and Przewalski's Horse will be leaving the zoo to make room for kangaroos?

Good thing I'll be able to see these species before they're gone.

StoppableSan likes this.
  14. Moebelle

Unfortunately it appears the days of focusing on lesser known hoofstock in Cincinnati are dead. Based on their enclosures however, it is for the best.

StoppableSan and EsserWarrior like this.
  15. EsserWarrior

It seems like exhibit for kangaroos have been very popular lately. Philadelphia Zoo has a newer exhibit for them, Cincinnati is getting them, San Diego Zoo, Nashville Zoo has an interaction area, never thought they'd become so famous.

StoppableSan likes this.
  16. StoppableSan

Are there going to be two locations where guests can see elephants? (Elephant Reserve, Elephant Trek). It seems like unnecessary division of maintenance to me. Unless they are planning on moving Manjula over to the Elephant House.

17. Moebelle

I hope you're right about Manjula, it would be sad to see them phase out Indian rhinos. I assume the newly developed elephant space will be for cows, I don't know if they will be new residents or not - and the current space will be reserved for Sabu, and or other males. To me, the more elephant exhibits the better. Of course these are early plans, but the graphic doesn't show any signs of an indoor facility with the new elephant exhibits.

StoppableSan likes this.
  18. StoppableSan

What would be really nice is if the upper Elephant yard in Elephant Trek connected to Jungle Trails, and had African Forest Elephants, with a statue of Gimpy. (Maybe a new yard for Okapi?) Whatever the case is, I am excited to see these changes coming to Cincinnati! (One thing that would seal the deal for me is if they link up Painted Dog Valley with Hippo Cove so Fiona and Bibi can graze at night)

EsserWarrior likes this.
  19. EsserWarrior

The zoo does plan on making a new yard for okapi, it's on the sheet with the new rhino exhibits. ;)

20. Moebelle

That is the current yard and according to that plan it will remain as is. So there won't be a new okapi exhibit - only the left half of Rhino Reserve is being upgraded.

StoppableSan and EsserWarrior like this.